Author Topic: H.B. W.12 wing underside finish! Your thoughts.  (Read 1237 times)

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
H.B. W.12 wing underside finish! Your thoughts.
« on: January 09, 2015, 03:59:25 AM »
Okay.

Here's what's itching inside my brain tody.

The HB wings underside finish.

1. I'm not convinced all were CDL some of the images (I'm choosing Profile B No. 1395 to build) the undersides seem darker and plainer than I'd think for CDL. Some there seems a different finish between upper and lower wings and the finish on the elevators of 1407 appears too much like the underside of the rest of the tail to be CDL.

Stated in the Datafile that * all surfaces visible from below are to be painted in a light blue or retain their natural colour* (CDL) but the elevator & tail plane underside on 1407seems the same as the sides of the fuelage?

So anyones thoughts or idea's would be appreciated greatly.

Mixed grey/blue upper anf CDL lower?

CDL all round?

blue/grey?

I know that theres a big unknown here so I'm just wondering anyone elses thoughts not looking for a fight!  ;D

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline radio

Re: H.B. W.12 wing underside finish! Your thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 03:04:56 AM »
Hello Keith
look at mine build. There are both underside wing and underside ruder CDL.
Underside fuselage light Grey and the rest midle gray green with differenc matt and gloss.
Martin

Offline Dave in Dubai

• Beyond the blue horizon
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 11:24:22 PM »

Sorry to drift slightly o/t but continuing with the lower wing on the W12 ( the topside), does anyone know whether the walkway panels should be grey or in the painted lozenge as per the decal ( shown applied) ?

The WNW instructions do not indicate one way or the other and the period photos in the booklet don't really show this area clearly enough.

The W29 obviously did have the grey coloured wing walkway plate, but that is of course a different aircraft.

Thanks if anyone knows the answer.

Offline kornbeef

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 01:44:24 AM »
Dave, hiya,

From the imagery on the WNW website and the Windsock data file I'm going with non-lozenge, there seems tonal differences and no lozenge on what I see but as you say not much is clear.

I havent yet decided if mine shall be plain metal or painted grey.

Keith

Offline Dave in Dubai

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 03:34:11 PM »
Thanks Keith,

Yes you are most probably correct.

My only doubt stems from the fact that the early aircraft had painted lozenges on the upper surfaces which made me wonder whether that would have included the walkway plates.
I am guessing whoever applied the lozenge ( manufacturer?) may have just painted the whole upper surface at the same time?

Perhaps that is why WNW provided the decal in one piece without a cutout for the walkway?

Unless someone can produce a clear photograph showing this area of the wing, it will continue to be another of those little WW1 aviation mysteries.

Thanks in any case for your thought, where are you with your build at the moment?

Offline kornbeef

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 12:01:20 AM »
Dave,

As always with one of my build I'm all over the place but to date the fuselage is together and basecoated. I'm on decalling that today. I chose a different colour for the fuselage, with talk of bluegrey in the windsock datafile I thought the humbrol that was specified to plain a grey. It may be incorrect but as I don't plan to exhibit her it's my choice ;)

The flying surfaces are decalled with Aviattic dark Austrohungarian linen over preweathered  base and the tops are all decalled up. The floats are together and detailed with a few additions and an attempt to tank them.

The motor is basically built but need some details added still before finishing. Not sure what I'm doing with the rocker assy's yet though

So all in all further on than I thought I was.

:)

Keith

Offline Dave in Dubai

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 02:43:38 AM »
You are further on than I.

Nearly ready to close my fuselage.

I am detailing my Benz the same as Des did on his W29.

The parts for the rocker arms are tiny....don't know how Des managed to drill them out so accurately?

I am not satisfied with the joints on the top wing- seem to have a low spanwise trough on the upperside of the wing aligned where the centre cutout is glued into the underside. Also have lost some ribtape detail whilst trying to eliminate the joins on the underside.

Think I will have to leave the top wing for a couple of days and tackle it with fresh eyes.

Offline kornbeef

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 09:31:17 AM »
Yes theres a noticeable sink in the upper side where the top wing section seam runs across below I managed to sand it out carefully. The underside seam can be a little tricky too but as it's kind of hidden being underneath it doesnt show so much.

On the point of sinking The tail plane section has a sink on the upperside (on mine at least) where the fuselage joint is below.. (I never noticed till I was decalling and it's not that significant really but if you havent got that far worth checking and sorting if need be.

K

Offline Dave in Dubai

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 02:05:35 PM »

Yes- here are the sink marks on the tailplane part.
I wondered if WNW had done this deliberately to show something of the effect of the doped fabric over the underlying structure, but now I am not so sure.

And here is the "trench" on the upper wing.

The vertical lines are where I have rubbed through another layer of primer to eliminate the join.

I will try gentle sanding as you suggested to see whether the trench can be removed.

Sorry again for drifting off your o/t and thanks for your advice. :)

Dave

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 05:48:34 PM »
Hi Dave,

I don't think mine had such an effect on the tail feathers - or maybe it's just the photo?

Yes the trench system on the wing is a pain isn't it? Took me ages to get rid of it  :P

Looking good though  ;)

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline Dave in Dubai

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 09:33:28 PM »
Hi Guy,

The tailplane is not glued on yet so this is the part from the box.

I photographed it in early morning sunlight so the effect is visibly more pronounced.

Nevertheless you can feel the bumps with your fingers , so I reckon it will have to be filled and then sanded.

Love your early W12 by the way....an inspirational build.

Best wishes,

D :)