Author Topic: Hansa Brandenburg D1  (Read 2123 times)

Offline John Marco

• Model Art By Marco
Hansa Brandenburg D1
« on: January 26, 2015, 07:01:01 AM »
As the title says I am looking for some info on color schemes of this plane.
I know the sanded was wood body with linen color wings, tail and rudder.
But was there any that used the green swirl pattern on the tops of the wings and tail?
And if so who was the pilot and what was his personal emblem on the side of the body if any?

Thank you.
Deutschmark

Offline GrahamB

Re: Hansa Brandenburg D1
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 10:10:39 AM »
Hi Deutschmark,

there are at least two aircraft with other than the 'white' (i.e. plain material) colour scheme for which I have info (mainly the FMP book on the D1  but several other AH publications):

28.05 of Flik 23 (Fw Ernst Franz) had patchy dark green (?) on the vertical tail surfaces

28.69 of Flik 41J (Brumowski) had camouflaged upper wing surfaces (probably on the tail-plane as well). Photos show a darkish background on which are the well-known curls/swirls in a paler colour. I would suggest this is the medium green with buff/cream pattern, suggested by Martin O'Connor.

I don't think either of these had any personal emblem although there are plenty of D1s in the 'white' scheme with bold (mainly black/white) markings on the fuselage.

Remember that the struts on these 28.xx series were light-alloy streamlined sheaths over the main structural rods. I see absolutely no evidence of them being bound in linen as so often been asserted - what's the point? I would suggest a dull light-metal or pale grey colour for these. The last series 65.xxxx introduced the heavier/thicker wooden struts (presumably because of a dire shortage of strategic materials) that were stained (less likely painted) a dark colour and had light-alloy streamlined cuffs top and bottom.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

GrahamB

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 10:28:43 AM »
There is one photo which shows up in numerous publications showing what is allegedly 28.69 with Brumowski leaning on the wing showing off a couple bullet holes going through the struts.  The wing is clearly covered the the swirl camouflage.  It is the only known photo clearly showing a camouflaged Brandenburtg D.I as far as I know.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline John Marco

• Model Art By Marco
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 10:41:16 AM »
Thank you very much guys for the info and this is why I asked as I seen on the net a few things that pointed in this direction about  Brumowski 28.69 HB D1, I will post a link to this and maybe you guys can have a look please;
http://www.directart.co.uk/mall/more.php?ProdID=26292
This is a well known aviation arts and he is showing Brumowski 28.69 HB D1 not only to have the swirl camouflage on the wings and tail but also to have it on the wheel covers and top of the body and there is a personal emblem on the side of the body as well but I just cant make it out, or if this is even right?

Deutschmark   

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 11:43:11 AM »
Deutschmark,  I just went through Dr. Martin O'Connor's "Air Aces of the Austro-Hungarian Empire", "Brandenburg D.I" by Karl Meindl and Walter Schroeder, and Windsock Datafile 118.  The Aircraft depicted in the painting does not show up in any of those.  The Brumoski photo I sited is on page 22 of the Datafile, page 34 of "Brandenburg D.I" and page 15 of O'Conner's book.  There is no sign of his personal emblem, which is well documented on his Oeffag D.III, in this photo.  Of course it is possible that at a later date, 28.69 was repainted in the Brumowski distribution scheme depicted in the painting you posted and there may also be written documentation to support this, but haven't yet read it.  Lastly, always remember that if you are modeling this kite, this is your model and you can finish it any way you want and no one can prove you wrong!
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline John Marco

• Model Art By Marco
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 12:31:42 PM »
Hi Bud,

Thank you again!
So I can be safe by doing the tops of the wings and tail in the swirl camouflage, then here would be my last questions, is there a cross on the body along with the numbers like I see with so many HB D1's? And does the rudder cross arm over lap just on the body or just on the rudder fin or a little on both? As I have seen it different on so many D1's.

Deutschmark

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 03:02:53 PM »
I'm sorry, Mark, that photo doesn't show the fuselage or the tail, only the wings.  So in reality, there is nothing to prove that it is even 28.69 or if there is a cross on the fuselage or even his personal markings.  The only thing that is certain is that Brumowski is leaning on the wing of a D.I that has 2 bullet holes in the struts.  Not much to go on, I'm afraid.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 04:15:53 PM »
I agree with me mates. this is all there is out there, only one photo shows a d.1 with anything other than a normal plain linen and varnished wood with possible fuselage markings. just no photo evidence or testimonial to prove anything further.

Offline John Marco

• Model Art By Marco
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 07:46:27 PM »
Thank you again  :)

I think I will just have to work with what I have for info and let the chips fall where they may.
Its a 3D model I am working on here is a photo in stock colors;

Deutschmark
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 07:50:44 PM by Deutschmark »

Offline John Marco

• Model Art By Marco
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 11:13:05 PM »
I just got done painting it, does this look reasonable?

Deutschmark