Author Topic: Gaspatch Lewis guns for Nieuport  (Read 839 times)

Offline Derrick

Gaspatch Lewis guns for Nieuport
« on: January 23, 2015, 04:33:54 PM »
I am looking at placing an order with Gaspatch , and was thinking of adding some Lewis guns. I have kits for the Nieuport 11 (planning on Navarre's aircraft ) and Nieuport 16 (Nungesser and Albert Ball).

From comparing my limited references it looks like the Lewis MKI Stripped (Full Heatsinks) matches the drawing for Nungesser's Nieuport 16, found in the Jean Navarre book. The exception being the Gaspatch gun looks like it is fitted with magazine that is double the height of the drawings and pictures I have of that particular version. I have no idea what version would be suitable for Albert Ball's Nieuport 16. The books I have only show drawings for his Nieuport 17. For the Nieuport 11, the version shown does not seem to quite match any of the Gaspatch guns.

If anyone could provide better sources or information as to what type of Lewis guns would be correct for these aircraft, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: Gaspatch Lewis guns for Nieuport
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2015, 07:54:46 PM »
I am looking at placing an order with Gaspatch , and was thinking of adding some Lewis guns. I have kits for the Nieuport 11 (planning on Navarre's aircraft ) and Nieuport 16 (Nungesser and Albert Ball).

From comparing my limited references it looks like the Lewis MKI Stripped (Full Heatsinks) matches the drawing for Nungesser's Nieuport 16, found in the Jean Navarre book. The exception being the Gaspatch gun looks like it is fitted with magazine that is double the height of the drawings and pictures I have of that particular version. I have no idea what version would be suitable for Albert Ball's Nieuport 16. The books I have only show drawings for his Nieuport 17. For the Nieuport 11, the version shown does not seem to quite match any of the Gaspatch guns.

If anyone could provide better sources or information as to what type of Lewis guns would be correct for these aircraft, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Lewis guns were originally fitted with a 47 round magazine. Sometime later in the war a double height magazine holding 97 rounds was developed. Gaspatch provides both. I can look up exactly when the 97 round magazine was issued, but they were interchangeable; the 47 rd mag would always be a option, but the 97 rd msg appeared later. Sometime in 1916 IIRC.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2015, 07:59:12 PM by Bo »

Offline Derrick

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 05:42:19 PM »
Good to know they come with both types of magazines. Most of the pictures I have seen of the planes I want to make have the smaller magazine.

I will probably place an order this weekend. Besides the 1 set of Lewis guns , think I will get Hotchkiss for the Morane I had bought and 2 sets of Spandaus for the Pfalz IIIa and Fokker VII, that I am slowly building. Still need to get some more tools like an Airbrush.

Thank you for the information.

Offline rhwinter

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 08:46:15 PM »
I have Roden's Nieuport 24biscand would like tomake it A USAS training plane. Would those trainers have machine guns? And if so, which of Gaspatch's Vickers guns would be right? Long, French, loading lever?

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 09:06:17 PM »
I have Roden's Nieuport 24biscand would like tomake it A USAS training plane. Would those trainers have machine guns?

For the most part I think the answer is no.