Poll

When choosing a WWI aircraft to model, the thing that matters most to me is:

An interesting marking or color scheme.
The history of the pilot or squadron.

Author Topic: What drives your choice of subject matter?  (Read 2832 times)

Offline Matt Parvis

Re: What drives your choice of subject matter?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2015, 10:59:17 PM »
For me, the particular aircraft is the more important aspect.  That's not to say I don't care about the history, it's just that all of the history is endlessly fascinating to me, so, it can be a secondary consideration, if that makes any sense?

Also, another big factor for choice of subject is what I find cheap from vendors at model shows!  ;D

Matt
We won't bring the muskets, we won't cause the pain,
But we're good for some headaches, and tough to clean stains.

Offline Thumbs up

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2015, 11:22:57 PM »
As an artist, I'm a visual person and am drawn to the looks of an airplane first and foremost. In fact, I usually don't even know anything about the pilot or much of the history of a particular plane. I'm very interested in the history as a whole of WW1 aircraft and the evolution of each type. I don't know if that makes me shallow, but I see nothing wrong with appreciating something purely on aesthetics.

I'm a bit unusual though. I actually prefer drab colors. PC10, CDL -especially where the ribs show through. Even with the wild German colors I prefer the more muted tones on some Fokker D.VIIs, etc., and the Albatros with mostly varnished wood fuselages. Somehow, models with good weathering, drab colors and natural wood, cloth, and metal surfaces look much more realistic to my eye. Although to the credit of the amazing modelers here, many of the brightly colored and unusual schemes have been successfully accomplished.

I'm an artist (painter) to,and I whole heartedly agree.Bright is not best,but to fool the brain on a subconscious level is our ultimate goal.

Ultimately what draws me is the hand made craftsman quality of WW1 aircraft. The beautiful wood finishes, hand sewn linens and leathers, bare metals of differing contrasting colors and textures, brush painted markings and personal graphics, and lacy, intricate rigging, sometimes akin to the beauty of a clipper ship. Add to this the mud, dirt, dust, oil, grime, and there's no end to the possibilities in taking modeling to a true art form.

-George

Offline mringus

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2015, 02:50:31 AM »
I'm new to this but I like the german planes I like the variety of color schemes I'm building 2 Albatros right now an Eduard and a Roden seaplane which I find very interesting after that it's a  Nieuport such a cool plane
Michael

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2015, 03:49:02 AM »
   I tend to choose my subjects mainly on the interest I have in a particular aircraft. Having said that I then, in the majority of cases, strive to choose and replicate the markings of a particular famous pilot; in the case of British Aircraft most often a "Canadian Connection". The rare exception occurs when I'm particularly struck by the finish on a particular aircraft, such as the von Sachsenburg DVII with the yellow and black diamond scheme and the MFJ Pfalz D.III with the yellow trim and crossed swords and shield marking. The DH.2 that I'm presently working on was chosen by aircraft, then designated for Hawker's markings, then changed to accommodate the PC10 and grey scheme that I far preferred on the nacelle, in other words all over the map! :-\
   I guess what I'm really saying is the aircraft itself is the big factor here.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2015, 01:14:33 PM »
its a linear process. i start with type which is mostly german and a/h planes. next i look at available options usually choosing for colorful or unique markings. when it gets down to a choice between a couple schemes i like i will then look at the ace and history and that will sometimes decide.same basic process for french and italian stuff. when it comes to brit planes it becomes do i want to do the brownish green one with the white stripe or the reenish brown one with the white triangle. this is the case where i look more into the pilots and history.

mike in calif

« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2015, 01:51:57 AM »
For many US builds, I try to find a connection to San Diego, and the immediate area. For most of my other builds it's the markings, or pilot I suppose.

Offline mwb

What drives your choice of subject matter?
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2015, 04:56:26 AM »
I have never built any WWI aircraft but with the recent release of WNW's Felixstowe F.2a flying boat I was captivated. The lines of this aircraft are breathtaking and the history via http://www.seawings.co.uk/ makes it the more desirable. When I do start the kit I pray justice will be done. In short, my choice is driven by design.

Best regards,

Mark

WarrenD

« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2015, 10:05:32 AM »
Thanks for the replies and participation folks, it's all in fun. I just thought it would make a nice discussion topic. Truth be told, I'm sure with most of us it's a combination of many things that drive us to pick the subjects we do to model.

Warren