Author Topic: rigging  (Read 1530 times)

Offline mringus

rigging
« on: January 22, 2015, 01:32:54 AM »
Whats a good material to use for rigging 1/72nd scaled models not ready to try it on my first model maybe on my second though
Michael

Offline Squiffy

• Something up with my banter, chaps?
Re: rigging
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 06:19:55 AM »
I use this stuff. It's 0.13mm thick and available in black, which I use for rigging, and clear, which I use for suspending models from the celiling, or for photographic purposes.

One reel costs around £3 and has, so far, rigged 50 aeroplanes and there's still plenty left.

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 10:26:59 AM »
I like small diameter monofilament. It is available as "invisible thread" at most stores that sell sewing supplies.
You can also find it and small diameters from stores that sell fishing line. Look for fly fishing tippet material.
 I also like the smaller size of EZ line
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline IanB

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 10:45:43 AM »
I use 2lb (0.9kg) monofilament fishing line. It's 0.005" (0.13mm) thick which is a little thick scalewise but looks just fine. If you want your rigging to be more exact, use 1.5lb (0.7kg) line which is about 0.002" (0.06mm). Not sure where you are, but I've had a lot of trouble finding the thinner one in the US. It's available in the UK and is made by Gamakatsu, although there may well be other manufacturers.

Ian

Offline danntheman

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 09:06:20 PM »
ive tried tippet line as i fly fish, but how do you manage to paint it

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2015, 12:44:38 AM »
    I've tried just about every method out there and have settled on Mr. Metal Color #213 "Stainless". It's hard to get but works very nicely on monofilament. I'd think just about any lacquer based paint would work fine.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 01:20:08 AM »
Whats a good material to use for rigging 1/72nd scaled models not ready to try it on my first model maybe on my second though
Michael

Hello Michael

Just one thought from a different angle. I understand your reluctance to try and rig your first model, but were that to be a Fokker D.VII or a Dr.I Triplane then you would find the rigging requirements to be absolutely minimal and could provide the opportunity for practice.

In terms of rigging material, I have used

1) stretched sprue. The advantage is that it can be secured reasonably easily and then tensioned by the careful application of heat. From my perspective, the disadvantages were that it was hard to maintain truly consistent diameter and that it was sometimes difficult to apply the heat without it impacting elsewhere. I used this with reasonable success on my 1/48 scale models.

2) EZline. The main advantage I found was that, being elastic, it could stretched to ensure a tensioned fit and it also proved reasonably forgiving. The downside was that it seemed to vary slightly in thickness. Particular care was required not demand too much stretch by cutting the lengths just that bit too short. When I moved on from sprue, this was my material of choice, although opportunities occurred for using both on the same model. Again, I was working in 1/48 scale.

3) Shimano Technium 0,14 fishing line. I'm now working on my first 1/32 WNW kit and while still using EZline in certain places, am just dipping my toes into the fishing line waters. It is, of course, consistent in diameter and very strong, and is going to provide me with the opportunity to follow the excellent tutorial on rigging provided by Des on the main website.

Best wishes and good luck,
Nigel

mike in calif

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 01:47:23 AM »
Uschi v. makes some EZ line like thread that is stretchy, and comes in 2-3 diameters. The "fine" may be suitable for 1/72.