Author Topic: Taurus' Fokker Cowl Nuts  (Read 2005 times)

Offline BigBlue

Taurus' Fokker Cowl Nuts
« on: January 11, 2015, 08:46:27 AM »
Has anyone put these little beauties to use yet?

I have a set that I have been planning on using on my D.VII but am getting cold feet about the about the time and patience required, and the potential fragility.  I'd love to hear of anyone's experience.

Thanks,

Chris

Offline BigBlue

Re: Taurus' Fokker Cowl Nuts
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 09:00:55 AM »
LOL

Well that would seem to be fair given how much I've copied from you...

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 09:30:48 AM »
My tentative plan is to replace the studs with brass wire; I don't think they will actually need glue to stay on. We'll see.

Offline BigBlue

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 09:38:28 AM »
My tentative plan is to replace the studs with brass wire; I don't think they will actually need glue to stay on. We'll see.

Interesting... something along the lines of: drill hole in the cowl, insert short length of wire, place nut over wire, touch of C/A and trim to size?

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 10:15:59 AM »

Interesting... something along the lines of: drill hole in the cowl, insert short length of wire, place nut over wire, touch of C/A and trim to size?

Yeah more or less although I won't be using the plastic cowl pieces -- the wire will go thru the metal cowl into the underlying framework. But I'm insane :) And... I won't be gluing them on at all -- at least that's my plan -- good tight fit shouldn't require glue to stay on. And... Yes, don't forget the washer.

Offline BigBlue

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 12:33:33 PM »
Have you built the little tap & die set to thread the wire?

;)

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 12:41:39 PM »
Have you built the little tap & die set to thread the wire?

;)

No, but you just gave me a great idea!

Offline BigBlue

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2015, 03:33:33 PM »
So, I took a stab at installing these little buggers:

Heres what I did:
  • Sanded off molded nuts and drill appropriately sized hole.  I have a gap in my drill bit collection between .35 mm and 1 mm, so I used the .35 and the tip of a #11 blade to expand the hole.  I'd guess .5mm ish? is right.
  • Using a bit of fine wire, placed a spot of thin C/A in the hole, and installed the bolt & washer piece.  The "bolt" made a good handle for my tweezers to hold the tiny bit of resin.
  • Because the nut isn't drilled through (at least that I could see), I cut the bolt off at the washer, and C/A'd the nut in place.  I am sure with better eyes and a steadier hand you could drill out the nut, slide it over the bolt and trim to size, but that didn't happen.

So, the picture reveals lost of faults: nuts misaligned, bad cuts, etc., but the only way I could see any detail like that involved an Optivisor and a very close working distance, and that would be tough for me to sustain for all 30-odd nuts on my DVII.  I don't plan on allowing anyone with an Optivisor to inspect the finished aircraft anyway.  As I mentioned above, I didn't assemble my nut & bolt pieces the way the Taurus instructional image seems to indicate that I should have:

That said, glueing the nut in place was not hugely challenging, other than my poor eyes not being able to see that some were misaligned until I put that picture up.... 

I have to say, as beautifully detailed as they are, my honest reaction to them in situ is that they look too big... they really stand out on the workpiece in a way that I am not sure matches the 1:1 version.  I sprayed the whole thing with a bit of gray primer since the darker resin really accentuated the effect, but it didn't completely remove my concerns.  The nuts, as close as I can tell, measure approximately 1 mm in length (some of mine are probably closer to 1.25 - 1.5 mm due to the inexact cut), which means 32 mm in scale (or 40 - 48 mm for the longer ones).  I am sure Lukasz did his homework on the prototypes so I defer to him on the size, but to my eye at least, they are much more noticeable than I expected (when I look at the panel, or at the photo above, the first thing I notice is the nuts, but maybe I am just used to the molded on nubs I have looking at for all of these weeks). 

I'd welcome any opinions regarding the nutted panel's appearance, as well as any pointers towards any dumb mistakes I may have made.  Hope this is helpful,

Chris

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2015, 06:26:09 PM »
I am not sure if it is a good idea to install those nuts before fitting the cowling to the respective frames. I think you will end up breaking a lot of them during the process of fitting the cowlings.

If i had the intention to install those tiny details, i would do that afterwards.

Stefan