Author Topic: Eduard Nieuport 11/16 cowlings, which is for which version?  (Read 1528 times)

Offline davecww1

Eduard Nieuport 11/16 cowlings, which is for which version?
« on: January 14, 2015, 08:34:30 AM »
OK so much for me being a Nieuport expert, but I have a question that hopefully someone can help me figure out.  The 1/48 scale Nieuport 11/16 is of course the same kit with various options for each version.  I have the Nieuport 16 Limited Edition kit #1103.  The kit includes 3 different cowlings as shown below, I added the part # for each next to the part. 

The kit instructions do not even show #8, and show #18 blued out - Parts not for use.  The instructions call for A14, for all 4 markings options.  So you would think that A14 is the N16 cowling and the other 2 for the lesser N11's... 
#14 has the narrowest opening, approximately 10mm at the bottom of the opening right before the cowling curves down and out. 
#18 has around 12mm opening when measured across the same area.
#8 is also 12mm open, but the edges where it curves back are a little sharper and not quite as curved as #18.

So the problem is that all of the photos of the N16 seem to show it with the widest opening in the cowling, such as 8 or 18.  I'm thinking the tighter #14 would be an EARLY N11, just a guess but there is a lot more metal in front of the engine as you would expect to see in Feb 1916 to keep the 80hp engine warm. 

So does anyone know for sure what the 3 different cowlings are supposed to represent?  I am comfortable using #18 to build my N16 but would love to hear from anyone else if they know why Eduard gave us 3 different cowls and labeled what appears to be the wrong one in the N16 instructions?
Thanks
Dave C

Offline ALBATROS1234

Re: Eduard Nieuport 11/16 cowlings, which is for which version?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 03:53:27 PM »
i am no nieuport pro but to me go with what the photos show. ww1, what it was, i imagine any and all coulda been used on a 16 or 11. eduard has often made this type of mistake. like saying this aileron part is for the dr.1 when it is pictured as the other type which was on the f.1. eduard and all model companies are far from perfect.fwiw it says use part a14 on the instructions of the nieuport 11 profipack as well so what the other 2 are there for fun?

Offline davecww1

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 08:15:45 AM »
Exactly.  Well photo interpretation has at least confirmed that A14 is the correct cowlings as used on the N11 flown by the Escadrille Americane.  Here is a photo of Victor Chapman's N.1148, which I have modeled before with this correct style cowling.   

Just wish I could figure out what the A8 and A18 are supposed to be for... I'm going with A18 for the N16 I'm doing since the resin engine I'm using seems to fit inside this cowling nicely.
Dave C

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 12:32:52 PM »
Out of curiosity, which resin engine are you using? I have yet to see any resin rotary engine fit inside of a kit cowl. If you found one that fits, I want to know about it.

Online RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 01:44:01 PM »
This could be totally off but I wonder if one of those cowls is an RFC version?
RAGIII
PS I chose one of them, ( I don't remember which), for my RFC Nieuport 23.  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline davecww1

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 08:05:55 AM »
Hi Rob,
I am using the Taurus LeRhone 9J and so far it fits but I have not added the rockers to the top of the cylinder heads yet, that will be the true test...

Rich, One could be for the RFC version, but of course the Eduard instructions do not tell you... I just spent a while last night on the Eduard website, I downloaded the PDF instruction sheets for ALL of the Nieuport 11 and Nieuport 16 boxings, and every one, no matter if it is a 11 or 16 calls out for A14!  Whether or not it's French, British or Belgian they all call for A14.  So obviously the other two options were never called out in the instructions.  I'm figuring A14 is the early N11, not sure if A8 or A18 is correct for the N16 but they are very similar so guess it's close enough.  And A8 is not even shown on the instruction sheets, while A18 is called out as a PARTS NOT FOR USE.   

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2015, 08:26:31 AM »
Dave, this is by far the best book on the Nieuport in my library.  It's well worth the 17GBP.

http://www.crossandcockade.com/store/Product.asp?cat=51&id=300#sthash.ZdSCRGvm.dpbs

Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline davecww1

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 01:33:01 PM »
Thanks Bud I have that book too, although did not check it to see if they had different cowlings on the RFC types.  Will take a look...

Offline davecww1

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 01:40:01 PM »
Hi Rob, the Taurus engine fits nicely in the Eduard Nieuport 16 cowling even with the rocker arms.  Not sure if I sanded a little too much off of the bottom of the pistons but it looks good to me.  And if I can mount it correctly it will even rotate on the brass rod.  I just have to figure out how far the engine mounted into the firewall, with the ignition plate behind the engine mounted flat to the firewall it sticks out too far.  I'm wondering if the ignition piece will have to be cut off for it to fit close enough to the firewall to get the cowl on correctly.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2015, 03:36:38 PM »
nice looking engine

WarrenD

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 01:04:46 AM »
I'm glad it fit Dave. Looking good so far.

Warren