Author Topic: Handley Page O/400 1:72 scale  (Read 3894 times)

Offline Squiffy

• Something up with my banter, chaps?
Re: Handley Page O/400 1:72 scale
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2015, 09:30:47 PM »
It's progressing nicely.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2015, 12:36:14 AM »
Looking great Squiffy! You are moving right along as always!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Squiffy

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2015, 07:00:21 AM »
This evening's progress.

Propellers and radiators are painted and ready to fit, the central section of the uppper wing is now fitted and rigged, and the engines are in place.

One thing I forgot to do is to cut a triangular section out of the outer trailing edges (to be replaced with scratched parts) where the wings fold back. It's going to be difficult to do this now, so I'm unsure whether to attempt it.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2015, 07:23:38 AM »
This is starting to take shape very nicely, and quickly. Even though the cut-outs in the wings are very important I don't think many people will notice them not being there, just don't tell anyone  :) :) ;) :)

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2015, 11:49:14 PM »
This is a very interesting build log, I have the same kit and will build it one day, so you are opening the trail which I will follow for sure! ;-)

It appears strange to me that the center section of the upper wing goes in place and is rigged before the whole upper wing gets assembled... but probably it is the only way to go... is it?

I'll follow you very closely!

Ciao

Antonio

Offline Squiffy

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2015, 02:19:58 AM »
It appears strange to me that the center section of the upper wing goes in place and is rigged before the whole upper wing gets assembled... but probably it is the only way to go... is it?

Hi, Antonio. It's not the only way to go but I think it's the best. Each wing upper wing is made from a top and a bottom piece, including the centre section that is also made in the same way. If you were to assemble the whole top wing as one and then attach it to the lower, and lower centre, it would make rigging the model difficult, not to mention the difficulty of slotting all the struts into their holes in one operation.

The instructions indicate that the wing assemblies (left and right, outboard of the engines) should be built up and rigged before fitting to the centre sections but I'm not going to do that as any distortion that comes about in fitting the outer sections will upset the rigging and could leave some of it slack.

I'm going to fit and glue the rigging into the lower part of the upper wings and then close the upper wings by fitting their upper surfaces. Then fit the wings to the centre sections and adjust/tighten/glue the rigging before closing the lower wings by fitting their lower surfaces. I know, it does sound complicated but it's easy to understand when you see how the kit is laid out.

I'll get some more pictures later.

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2015, 04:30:26 AM »
Hi Squiffy, thanks for the explanation, I am not good at all in setting the top wing matching it with the struts, that is still my main weakness in modeling WW1 planes, that's why I was curious about it.
I understand that there are reasons to proceed as you are doing but I was afraid about a correct alignment of the three parts of the top wing after laying it on the struts that could not be perfectly vertical... wow that is my own nightmare, of course you'll manage it right!  ;)

Ciao

Antonio

Offline Squiffy

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2015, 05:13:07 AM »
Wing assembly.

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2015, 07:27:07 PM »
You are doing great and fast Squiffy. Well done and a very interesting build. As always I admire the small scale modelers a lot!

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline radio

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2015, 11:51:47 PM »
Very nice build until now.
Martin

Offline Dirigible-Al

« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2015, 04:27:27 AM »
bloody hell thats going together quick. Just as well I am not building it.
Alan
I heard that it all started when a bloke called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cause he was hungry!

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2015, 05:22:05 AM »

Hi, Antonio. It's not the only way to go but I think it's the best. Each wing upper wing is made from a top and a bottom piece, including the centre section that is also made in the same way. If you were to assemble the whole top wing as one and then attach it to the lower, and lower centre, it would make rigging the model difficult, not to mention the difficulty of slotting all the struts into their holes in one operation.

The instructions indicate that the wing assemblies (left and right, outboard of the engines) should be built up and rigged before fitting to the centre sections but I'm not going to do that as any distortion that comes about in fitting the outer sections will upset the rigging and could leave some of it slack.

I'm going to fit and glue the rigging into the lower part of the upper wings and then close the upper wings by fitting their upper surfaces. Then fit the wings to the centre sections and adjust/tighten/glue the rigging before closing the lower wings by fitting their lower surfaces. I know, it does sound complicated but it's easy to understand when you see how the kit is laid out.

I'll get some more pictures later.

I see what you mean - attaching the lower wing lower surfaces after rigging allows you to set the rigging nicely and securely without messing up the lower surface paint, nor having issues with difficult access between the wings after assembly.

The old mold airfix kits can be a nightmare with bad molding, flash etc and need a lot of work to get a decent finish.  I must say, this is excellent so far and I am tempted even more to get this model!

Offline Squiffy

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2015, 07:10:27 PM »
It's not great, Ian. There has been quite a bit of flash to remove and mould lines on many parts.

One wing fitted and rigged. The tape is there to hold the line whilst the glue goes off.

I've put double lines on the runs that go from the bottom outwards to the top as I can see these on various photos. I can't find any that show double lines going the other way, so I've left them as singles, as I know scouts were rigged this way.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2015, 07:34:12 PM »
A lot of the British aircraft had double flying wires and a single landing wire, what you have done is certainly correct.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Squiffy

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2015, 07:08:57 PM »
Thanks for confirming that, Des.

Leaving the aircraft for a moment, I have turned my attention to the S.N. (Essen) bomb. As it comes, the fins and tail are one solid piece, with the fins being far too fat. I'm going to make individual fins from plasticard.