Author Topic: Wingnut Wings SE5a  (Read 4020 times)

Offline Trackpad

Re: Wingnut Wings SE5a
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2012, 10:11:17 AM »
Well done, Rizzo! My WNW SE kit is now whining at me from the store room:"How come he gets built and I'm still parked in here? When's my chance?"  :D
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline Giordano

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2012, 10:32:15 AM »
Wonderful job, Rizzo.
Could you explain how did the grass?
The grass is from Woodland Scenics?

Cheers,
Giordano

Offline Rizzo

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2012, 04:58:45 PM »
Wonderful job, Rizzo.
Could you explain how did the grass?
The grass is from Woodland Scenics?

Cheers,
Giordano

For the grass I used Noch wild grass sheet. I did plan to use two to make up the correct size, but in the end I stretched one to about twice it's width. That got rid of the uniform look, and made it look a bit more like the worn corner of the airfield I had in mind. I'm not sure if it looks too long or not, but I do like how it and the figure help show just how small these aircraft were!

Offline Giordano

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2012, 10:42:53 PM »
It was great, congratulations.
I did not know this stuff is really fantastic!

Cheers,

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2012, 01:01:11 AM »
Your S.E.5a looks very nice and I hope that I can do half as well when I get around to my kit.

After seeing your figure, is there any chance that you'd consider doing a face painting image tutorial here on the forum? I know I'd benefit from seeing how you do it.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Rizzo

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2012, 04:58:47 AM »
Your S.E.5a looks very nice and I hope that I can do half as well when I get around to my kit.

After seeing your figure, is there any chance that you'd consider doing a face painting image tutorial here on the forum? I know I'd benefit from seeing how you do it.

Cheers,

Chris

Thanks Chris :)

I've done a fair bit of painting on canvas in the past, but this was my first time painting a model figure
So I've not really got the experience to make a tutorial from, or the photos of anything else to show either

But I can link to the tutorial I found the most helpful:
http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/blog/2010/02/pintura-de-la-cara/
It's in Spanish, but is perfectly understandable when loaded through google translate (I'd post the translated link, but they're huge).
The technique for painting the eyes makes things nice and easy

Two other tips that helped me
- Use a "stay wet pallet"
http://creatingthehive.com/blog-post/62354/how-to-keep-acrylic-paint-from-drying
That really makes it easy to keep a good mix of colours available
- Use quite thin paint, and take your time. So long as the paint layers are thin, you can't do much wrong. So it's just a case of keeping at it until things look right! :)

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2012, 05:50:55 AM »
Apologies for joining in late here -

Superb work all round - great model, figure and diorama.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline JastaB

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2012, 04:22:46 AM »
Rizzo,

I'm surprised I didn't compliment you when you first posted the pictures of your S.E.. I think you did a beautiful job on the airplane and the figure. Congratulations!

Tim

Offline NinetythirdLiberator

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2012, 09:29:29 AM »
Wow, Rizzzzzo!

That name even sounds like a nick name of an Se pilot...

That is wonderful.  Nice and subtle.  I'd love to see it on the contest table.  GREAT pilot too.  Figures are nice to add.

Excellent all the way round!  8)

Dan