Author Topic: Roques' Spad XIII questions...  (Read 1756 times)

Offline iwik

Roques' Spad XIII questions...
« on: March 07, 2015, 03:25:53 AM »
Hi y'all!
I will shortly begin building Hobbycraft Spad XIII. Since I have FFMC's decal sheet for De turenne's CD, I want to do Roques' Spad XIII. But the camouflaged one, of which I only have seen 1 picture of, in the Osprey Book relative to Spad XIII aces. Does anyone know of any other pics of that bird (S727)?
What camouflage is it covered with? Blériot? Kellner?
Thanks for any help.
Ciao
Iwik

Offline iwik

Re: Roques' Spad XIII questions...
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 03:36:56 AM »
Thanks Cage ŕ poules.
Any idea what a Spad camo looked like? I know for Kellner and Blériot, but...
Anyone has a pics of wooden wing tip extensions? Do they really show or can I leave my late Spad XIII as is?
I guess not if Tommodelworks make photoetched one, right?
Ciao
Iwik

Offline davecww1

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 05:55:10 AM »
Hi Iwik,
I don't have the plans here but remember an old issue of Windsock International showed the ply pockets applied to the SPAD XIII wings, they were applied to the early round tipped wings to give them more of a squared off appearance as on the late wing.  since your kit already has the late wingtips you will probably have to find the scale drawings that shows these and sand the wingtips round, then make your ply pockets from thin sheet styrene to match the originals. 

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 04:44:23 PM »
toms modelworks made photoetch ply pockets a while back dont know if they are available.

Offline iwik

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 08:19:46 PM »
toms modelworks made photoetch ply pockets a while back dont know if they are available.

They are.
Just bought them... ;)
Guess I will have to modify my squared wing tips anyhow since it seems you could see those. But I would need to find some close up pics. And that's hard to find...
Ciao
IWik

WarrenD

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2015, 12:38:37 AM »
Iwik,
        I've always been fascinated by this ace and his a/c, as a result I bought the Eduard "early" SPAD XIII which has these markings. Unfortunately, Eduard insisted on printed the blue for the roundels, tail, and the semicircle around "gallus" or Chanticler as a purple. Arrrgh!

If you build this, I'll be very interested to follow along.

Warren