Author Topic: "NEW" 1/24th scale WWI kits from...  (Read 9605 times)

Offline rowan broadbent

"NEW" 1/24th scale WWI kits from...
« on: December 30, 2014, 08:13:35 PM »
A company called Merit - no relation to the old Merit of years ago but it looks as if they are part of the Chinese Trumpeter/Hobby Boss set up............therefore I have concerns about the potential poor quality of their research and perhaps the "originality" of their moulded shapes (hoping not to see scanned and up-scaled parts from other company's efforts, as in the "Trumpeter" 1/32nd copy of the Tamiya Swordfish [go on, sue me Mr Trumpet!]) - we shall see.

They have announced forthcoming kits of the SE5a, SPAD XIII and  (of course) the predictable Fokker Dr.I see here:

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234973406-merit-cataloguefolder-2015-2016/

Await developments with interest and more than a little trepidation!

« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 08:20:57 PM by rowan broadbent »
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything – that’s how the light gets in

Leonard Cohen

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: "NEW" 1/24th scale WWI kits from...
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 08:39:25 PM »
Thanks Rowan for the info, it will be interesting to keep an eye on developments with these kits.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Nanks

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 09:03:09 PM »
Finally a spad thats big enough for me to successfully rig the wing bays! :)
"Get a shot off fast, this upsets him long enough to get your second shot perfect" Lazarus Long

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 09:44:39 PM »

They have announced forthcoming kits of the SE5a, SPAD XIII and  (of course) the predictable Fokker Dr.I ......

I suppose we can rule out a Felixstowe from them.

Best wishes and Happy New Year

Nigel

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 10:10:53 PM »
Rowan,
Thanks for posting! I am semi excited about these. Like you I wonder about the research and or are they copying another companies molds. On the other hand, I like the bigger scale idea for "some" WW1 aircraft. For me it would be limited to favorite aircraft, such as the DR1! Time will tell....
RAGIII

PS: Price would also be a factor for me!
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 11:28:34 PM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 12:00:51 AM »
I can only comment on their superb M19 Diamond T tank transporter kit in 1:35 scale but if it's any indication on what we'll see in these aircraft kits, they should be a treat.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline rowan broadbent

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 01:20:28 AM »
I can only comment on their superb M19 Diamond T tank transporter kit in 1:35 scale but if it's any indication on what we'll see in these aircraft kits, they should be a treat.

Cheers,

Chris

Yes, Chris, I agree that  many of their armour/vehicle kits have been well received and well researched, sadly their aircraft kits have had, at best, "mixed" attention to accuracy. Recently Trumpeter's releases of much wanted 1/48th scale kits of British aircraft (such as the Vampire, Westland Whirlwind, Supermarine Spiteful and now the DeHavilland Hornet) have all fallen way short of providing accurate plastic. Merit's design team might be different - let's hope so. So far I think they have only released kits of some Russian missile attack boats in 1/72nd scale, which look like good kits but I cannot comment on how accurate they might be.

Keeping everything crossed!

Rowan
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything – that’s how the light gets in

Leonard Cohen

mike in calif

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 01:38:09 AM »
Trumpy has a history of variations in kit quality. In 1/32, the Swordfish, me-262,Dauntless, Avenger, P-47, and Mig -21 stand out as better "A" team examples; the P-40, and a bunch of their jets are widely quoted as being done by the "B" team.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 06:41:59 AM »
I remember the build Chris did of his Diamond T truck and it was a beauty, lets just hope that Merit put the same amount of effort into designing and producing their 1:24 scale WW1 aircraft kits, they will be shot out of the sky very quickly if they don't live up to expectations.

Des.

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 07:31:19 AM »
I would be in for a 1/24th SE5a so it could sit alongside British 1/24th scale WW2 subjects for correct scale perspective.

As for the subject choices- typical but understandable. Merit are obviously aiming at the mass market and those are the aircraft the mainstream may know or want to make. I'm surprised there's no Camel.

Quality and price will be talking points but it won't hurt Wingnuts to have some large scale competition.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 08:40:13 AM by Dave W »
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

mike in calif

« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 08:49:10 AM »
No Camel and no albatros, or Nieuport.

Offline drdave

« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 08:53:14 AM »
I just got the a roden albatros d1. I have to say I am impressed. It knocks the DIII into a cocked hat.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2014, 09:16:18 AM »
I would be in for a 1/24th SE5a so it could sit alongside British 1/24th scale WW2 subjects for correct scale perspective.

As for the subject choices- typical but understandable. Merit are obviously aiming at the mass market and those are the aircraft the mainstream may know or want to make. I'm surprised there's no Camel.

Quality and price will be talking points but it won't hurt Wingnuts to have some large scale competition.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

I agree with you on the talking points and on the Value of Competition. Perhaps WNW will release that long anticipated but never promised DR1  8) Seriously though it might just stir things up in NZ...or not! As I stated I think for me, this scale would be for favorites. After thinking about it I think the SPAD is also a "Favorite"  ::)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2014, 09:48:49 AM »
Great to see some more WW1 kits hitting the market, I hope they do really well with them but for me, I will be sticking with just one scale, 1:32.

Des.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2014, 01:31:03 PM »
it says spad v.ii on the merit posting, which personally i prefer a v.ii to a x.iii. anyway we shall see. if they are 1/24  ww1 fighters even if they need correcting thats great imho. we have the know how to fix that right? are we mice or are we modellers?lol