Author Topic: Panic Buying anyone.  (Read 4406 times)

Offline Doug Mace

Re: Panic Buying anyone.
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2015, 06:48:11 AM »
Indeed good for you, sir sandbagger....but did you HAVE to reference your sim Wings Over Flanders Fields?! After looking at it just now, I found it actually frightening...oh, how addictive that could be for me...I would NEVER get up from this computer...it looks incredible....       -M
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
    • Mikes WW1 Aircraft Models
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2015, 09:06:56 AM »
Heh he - Yeah it is pretty incredible what the OBD team have done over the years.  Many 'flyers' are put off by the fact that the first iterations of the sim (Over Flanders Fields) were based on the old Microsoft CFS3, which even in it's day was a dog.  However over the years the team have moved the sim to way above anything anyone would have thought possible and the only reason CFS is needed at all is for the initial installation of WOFF.  Other than that, it's not required and 'WOFF' is essentially a totally different sim.  The 'Rise of Flight' sim is a great experience but many who fly WOFF do so for the overall immersion and historical accuracy.
Each has it's own merits, but obviously, I'm a 'WOFFER' through and through  ;)

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2015, 11:25:34 PM »
Hi all,
I must admit to being a tad concerned that 8 models are now out of stock with no apparent confirmation they will be restocked.
As such I raided my savings and bought one of each type (not all the variants) that I don't currently have.  It cost over £1200 not including import duties, but they'll will keep me busy for quite a while in my semi-retirement.
Now if only I can find the RE8, LVG and Tripe without having to pay 3 to 4 times the amount on eBay!!!

Just got the import and vat bill for delivery - £351 - hope I live long enough to build them all  :o

Retired - 27 years RAF service then 20 years Military Aerospace Technical Author/editor.

Offline zavod44

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2015, 08:32:59 AM »
I mist admit, I tossed on a DVa with the AEG in a moment of panic....

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2015, 08:44:44 AM »
There is no need to panic buy the new AEG, at the ridiculous price they are asking it will never sell out  :)

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline stevie g

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2015, 08:47:19 AM »
Agreed Des !!!

Kai

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2015, 08:53:35 AM »
I'm panicking that I may not buy any more WNW kits if they continue with this pricing!

I've enough WNW kits to last many years as it is, so I could quite easily never buy another one and still have enough until I drop dead.

Offline Derrick

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2015, 12:47:42 PM »
I am not too worried. There are a few kits I would still  like to get, but in no hurry. Such as the DH9 and Boelcke's Eindecker IV. Maybe a Sopwith Pup if I can find some interesting Canadian markings for it. Also there are new possibilities of kits from Special Hobby and now Aviattic. Maybe Roden will get some courage and try to release some new kits as well.

Kai

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2015, 07:27:49 PM »
What's the chances of the Gotha selling out next? It suddenly looks good value.

Offline OEFFAG 153

• Just another Wingnutter
    • Terfors Creative
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2015, 05:44:13 AM »
What's the chances of the Gotha selling out next? It suddenly looks good value.

My bet is that will be the next one to go...  8)

/Mikael
Building the WnW Hansa W.12 and Junkers D.1.

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2015, 06:18:34 AM »
I bought a Albatros D.Va because I like the Albatros (I've built one already) and I find the wooden fuselage with camp wings particularly interesting, so I wanted to get another while they are still available.

I suspect kits like the AEG and Felixstowe were ordered in fewer numbers by Wingnut Wings because of their higher prices. However, i do not think this will impact their availability in the long run. Quality cost money to design, engineer, produce and ship, so I don't find the prices unusual. For people used to paying small prices for smaller, lesser quality kits, I can understand their disappointment, but i don't agree.
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline eclarson

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2015, 06:50:14 AM »
I ordered a Gotha this morning but the road to that decision has been a long one.  When it first came out, I said no way - not because of its cost, but its size.

Then last year I read "First Blitz" by Neil Hanson which kindled a new interest in the Gotha.  I once again looked long and hard at the WNW Gotha and felt the first twinges of an urge to get one after all.  But such a big model!  Then last year, without hesitation, I got a Felixstowe, mostly because I'm a sucker for flying boats.  Suddenly the size issue was moot.  If I can find room to build and display a Felixstowe, surely I can do the same for a Gotha.

Finally, today's discussions, and comments from Richard comparing the AEG costs to the Gotha's, not to mention concern that it may soon be gone, sent me back to Wingnut's site for another look.  Before I knew it, a Gotha was in my cart and I was clicking on the checkout button.   ::)

Cheers,
Eric

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2015, 07:22:48 AM »
Excellent. I bought mine shorty after they were released. I open the box now and then. Read the instructions and check out online builds. An excellent and iconic aircraft. Some day...
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2015, 07:34:06 AM »
I ordered my Gotha the day it was released, it is still sitting in my stash not because I don't want to build it but because I don't have the room to display it just yet, I am contemplating a new display area to house these larger models.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Mike Norris

• RAF Old and Bold
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2015, 06:09:37 AM »
Same here Des I've just received 15 kits from WNW including the Gotha and Felixstowe - also ordered the AEG - currently have 5 built and one under construction with 23 boxed and not started.
As you say the larger models will be tricky to display.  I have my single seater's on shelving which has adjustable angles support brackets.  Handy as I can tilt the shelving forwards so as to get a 3/4 top down view.  Sold by Ikea.