Author Topic: Scratchbuilt 1/144 Q-Class Zeppelin. Plastic, Putty and (3D) Printing.  (Read 19298 times)

Offline MoFo

While I take a break to ponder how to mark out the rib locations, I've been hitting Solidworks for the R Class.  Really pleased with the results so far.  :D

...and a close-up of the aft gun platform (though I really should add panel lines for the wood here...  BRB!)

I can post a step-by-step in the future, if anyone's interested.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 05:30:40 AM by MoFo »

Offline radio

Great!! ;D
Martin

Offline BigBlue

Wow, terrific stuff!

Chris

Michael Scarborough

Well, clearly, I've been sleeping under a rock to have missed this so far. Congratulations, MoFo (that seems a tad oxymoron-ish, frankly)

As George said early on, the combination of traditional model building skills and computer tech and 3-D printing, as he and Bo and now you are showing us....well, it does seem the future of model building is here.

Cheers from NYC,
Michael

Offline MoFo

More procrastination.  :)

Front and middle gondolas are roughed out.  Just have to finish up the rear.  Then start detailing.  And, y'know, get back to the Q-class.  :)  For some reason, I'm more inclined to do digital modelling lately; everything fits perfectly, and you never ruin any projects - if you get something wrong, just delete it and start again.  And painting is only the click of a mouse, with zero cleanup or objectionable odours involved!

Oh, and have I mentioned, these beasts were BIG?  Spot the person:

(there is a red, 6' tall person in this render)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 05:32:06 AM by MoFo »

Offline Pgtaylorart

For some reason, I'm more inclined to do digital modelling lately; everything fits perfectly, and you never ruin any projects - if you get something wrong, just delete it and start again.  And painting is only the click of a mouse, with zero cleanup or objectionable odours involved!

Oh, and have I mentioned, these beasts were BIG?  Spot the person:

I can completely relate! Digital modeling can be quite satisfying. Sometimes I forget that I'm building the digital model so I can create an actual physical model. But I also build models that are completed in the digital realm and are never intended to live in the "real" world.

George

Offline zavod44

But it's oh so satisfying when it all comes together in real life....

Offline radio

Very fine update.
Martin

Michael Scarborough

For some reason, I'm more inclined to do digital modelling lately; everything fits perfectly, and you never ruin any projects - if you get something wrong, just delete it and start again. 

OH!!! Now this sounds like the type of modeling I need to get into!

Offline MoFo

Well, I think I've solved my rib tape dilemma.

The problem was, I needed a way to securely mount the Zeppelin so that it was plumb, straight and true, with a template underneath so I could mark off the rib stations, yet it had to be free to rotate around its axis.  A four foot lathe would be one possible solution, but kind of tough to find, so I sort of bodged my own:

The notes should explain things (excuse the blurry, hasty photo), but basically, I can now rotate the model around a rod inserted in the 'spine', while it's held firmly in place with a couple of jigs.  So by holding a square to the markings on my template, I can transfer those dimensions to the model, which will mark the positions of the rib tapes.

It's basically a fiddly, annoying way to mark off a whole slew of really precise (I hope) points, so that I can connect all the dots.

A few more hours of carefully setting the whole thing up, and I should be able to get marking.  The really frustrating thing about all this is, if it all goes according to plan, it will probably only take me about 10 minutes to mark everything off.  Weeks of planning, hours of preparations, for a few minutes actual work.  Sigh...
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 05:33:03 AM by MoFo »

Offline RAGIII

Truly magnificent work! I am sure your planning and diligence will pay off!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline MoFo

Assorted updates with mixed news.

Good: the lathe idea worked (although it was painfully tedious! line a square up to the template, slide it against the Zepp, tick a line, rotate, repeat - plus sharpening your pencil every few dozen lines...)
Bad: in my haste to get started and squeeeeeze the nose section into place, I cracked the nose cap.  I *should* have disassembled the jig and re-assembled it around the blimp, but no, I had to force it...  :(
Good: The nose cap had lost some definition anyway through sanding and filling, and I have a spare, so it's not the end of the world.  Bit of measuring and sawing and it was gone.

It also gave me the chance to model the ultra-rare, MiG-21-style Zeppelin:   ;D

Striping went pretty easily with some .7mm Aizu tape (basically, thin width Tamiya tape).  About 12m worth - don't think I've ever burned through so much tape so quickly.  :D 

I also attached the revised tailplanes.  They'll need a bit of filler around the seams, and I'll have to re-apply some of the rib tapes which will get obliterated in the process, but it's back to looking like a blimp again. Shaved down some excess plastic and test fit the spare tail cone too, and the fit is almost perfect.  Good thing - I don't want to get into a major sanding operation now that the tapes are on!

I also cut off the cracked nose, as mentioned above.  I trimmed a little too much plastic, so added a .010" shim to build up the gap.  Pretty pleased with the test fit:

...and then finally, I decided to test fit the control surfaces.  I'll need to tweak the location points slightly, and I need to figure out how to skin them, but it's the first time I've had a basically complete balloon.  Quite pleased with things.  :)

So a touch of Mr. Surfacer on the tail fins, then it's ready for a final (hopefully, ohpleaseohpleaseohplease) primer coat.  Starting to feel like the end is in sight.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 05:34:37 AM by MoFo »

Offline RAGIII

Fantastic work! Everything is coming together now and it looks great!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline radio

Exellent work!
Martin