Author Topic: Zeppelin afficianados.....please help if you can  (Read 6672 times)

Michael Scarborough

Zeppelin afficianados.....please help if you can
« on: December 11, 2014, 01:07:25 AM »
Can any of you gents tell me in what type of Zeppelin these scenes are set? I am looking for lots of photos and drawings....enough to do a model. Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers from NYC,
Michael

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: Zeppelin afficianados.....please help if you can
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 01:23:03 AM »
Windsock just published a new Zepplins At War Datafile, perhaps you should invest in that?

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 04:01:03 AM »
Timing is everything, Bo...I just saw that announcement.

Thanks,
MoS

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 04:11:14 AM »
Actually, I believe a plausibly convincing diorama could be made of the forward cabin scene with no more references than already given us by Herr Schwormstädt. Considering that the painting was done at the time and that he was German (I.E. OCD about detail) I would think it is pretty accurate. As for the rear nacelle scene, it is harder to figure out. For instance, what are the two crewmen on the left doing?

But, I just found that there is an actual gondola on display at the Brussels museum.

Now all I need is an extra 10 hours per day.

Thanks,
Michael

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2014, 04:36:22 AM »
There is also a Zeppelin Gondola at Le Bourget (Musee de l'Air et Espace)  -- i didn't get very good pix of it though...

(someone else's photos from the 'net, some good shots of the interior):

https://www.flickr.com/photos/billkatygemma/4462503552/

IWM has a Zeppelin cloud car...

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2014, 08:51:26 AM »
OK, thanks gents! Bo, thanks for the links...found the Le Bourget pix just before your post. I am on a googling roll.

Also had a very unexpected PM from a source who identified the crew as being from LZ 38- a P class Zeppelin with Capt. Linnarz in command. Fantastic info.

So, guns and figures pose no problems and structure will be a lot of styrene. But, what about Maybach 3M C-X engines? This is not my area at all. Do any of the WnW kits come with this powerplant? Anything even close that could be modified? It would not be overly obvious in the scene so liberties could be taken....oily rags, wrenches and hands placed in a manner to camouflage any discrepancies. I hope that does not seem too blasphemous......I figure if I've fudged a whole Battleship turret I can fudge a 6 cylinder engine that will be somewhat hidden.

OK....on a roll!

Cheers from NYC,
Michael

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2014, 09:52:56 AM »
With a little cross referencing from here and here I am pretty sure this photos below depict 1911 and 1913 versions of the Maybach CX, which doesn't seem to have anything much in common with the later Maybach IV and Iva,  but I could be entirely all wet on that.

WNW kits with a Maybach C-X motor? Not likely, unless they release a Zeppelin (maybe that's after the Felix hubbub dies down).

Anything close?  I guess the closest would be the Mercedes D.VIa -- about the right size anyway -- and (lucky you) is available as a separate sprue. Doesn't look much like the Maybach to me, but add the flywheel and some pipes and stuff and most people will probably buy it.

Edit: fixed broken image links
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 11:04:02 AM by Bo »

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2014, 11:42:48 AM »
BO, remind me to give you a raise at our year end conference.

Much appreciated. Truly.

MoS

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 05:03:24 AM »
Saw in the latest Windsock that CSM has a 1/48 Maybach D.IVa resin kit; and the photo looked beautiful. Also a hint that maybe it might be offered in 1/32 (that could be just wishful thinking)

It's still not the right engine, and it is in the wrong scale, but at least it is a Maybach Zeppelin airship engine. Once upon a time I believe Des used the Taurus 1/48 Mercedes D.I as a reference to scale up for his 1/32 Taube motor, he might be able to comment whether that was a useful exercise…

Offline Berman

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 08:39:31 AM »
As I seriously doubt that Copper State is planning a 1/48th scale Zeppelin kit about fourteen feet long, does anyone have a clue which aircraft they are planning for this Maybach engine?

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 12:21:15 AM »
Thanks for this tip, Bo....I will inquire.....planning going well and the various reference mtls figures, are arriving.....

Michael

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2014, 12:13:23 AM »
OK...just had a nice response from Ilya at CSM....they are indeed working on a 1/32 version of the Maybach so that the WnW Gotha IV can be converted to a V. He hopes it will be ready in April-May 2015.

I can make it work for my diorama, as well.

Man oh man....a coupe of years ago would you have ever thought we'd be speaking of a 1/32 Gotha? And now we're even discussing after market conversion parts for it. One would assume the upper wing gunners position for the Felixstowe, and goodies yet to be imagined will be forth coming, as well.

Cheers from NYC,
Michael

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2014, 06:29:08 AM »
Fantastic news on the !;32 scale Maybach engine Michael, this will certainly make life a lot easier for you and only four months to wait, excellent. I will be buying two of those engines for my Gotha kit.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Michael Scarborough

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 07:34:48 AM »
Right you are, Des. I know it will not be the exact version of the Maybach I need but it will make a fine starting point.

Hope your back is not giving you too much trouble.

Cheers from an increasingly Christmasy NYC,
Michael

Offline JamesAPrattIII

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2015, 09:57:50 AM »
The painting were done by a German war artist in 1917 of a German army airship in 1915. At least that's what I think I read somewhere. I can't say how accurate they were.