Author Topic: 1:32 Albatros D.III, Jasta Boelcke  (Read 7756 times)

Offline Fokker boy

1:32 Albatros D.III, Jasta Boelcke
« on: December 01, 2014, 07:44:07 AM »
 Owing to an absence of what I require to finish another 1:32 prop for our regional next year (and for some other reasons as well), I've decided instead to pursue the Roden Albatros D.III, in Jasta 17 markings. This will be done mostly OOB, but with some AM thrown at it, most notably a WNW Mercedes, Master Spandau's, Taurus and Barracuda engine dress up parts, and perhaps the Part P.E. set, though I don't really feel that's needed, as such.

Obligatory box shot. This kit (and a few others), were very generously gifted to me by a fellow forum member on a different site.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 07:57:28 AM by Fokker boy »
Kevin

(30 years ago I started off with nothing, and I've still got most of it!)

Offline Fokker boy

Re: 1:32 Albatros D.III, Jasta 17
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 07:45:46 AM »
Fuselage halves have some nasty ejector pin marks that will have to be dealt with before I can begin painting the wood colors. Nothing that some Tamiya putty won't take care of though.

Kevin

Offline Fokker boy

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 07:46:56 AM »
The scheme I've tentatively chosen, though I have some wiggle room here.

Kevin

Offline Fokker boy

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 07:47:54 AM »
Before I realized what I had done, I assembled two sets of wheels. Instructions are somewhat vague here, but it appears that the smaller diameter set (on the right) are the correct ones.

Kevin

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 09:34:41 AM »
Kevin.

I'll be following your blog closely. I'm collecting bits for my build of the same kit (not 100% sure what profile yet)

Ref the wheels. Yes the bigger are OAW wheels. The smaller set are J-stahl wheels so are correct.

I don't believe it was a change carried on to the D.V/D.Va but the DII & D.III (OAW) had theses different circumference wheels with larger tyres.

A lot of the PE for the D.Va can be utilised on this too if you wish. Part of Poland set contains a lot of parts that look better  in plastic IMHO but it does contain 1/4 turn fasteners and such things too.
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline drdave

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 10:11:25 AM »
I didn't know your nom de plume Kev!

As I said on LSP, there's a Pheon set due with this in.

Offline Fokker boy

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 12:04:55 PM »
Good info to have. Thanks, guys. And yea, Dave it's little old me. I've watched so many of your WWI models come to life, and have enjoyed each and every one.
Kevin

Offline Fokker boy

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 12:08:28 PM »
Interestingly enough, the scheme I've chosen above is supposed to be an OAW built machine, so I may well go with the bigger wheels. I have most of the the Albatos datafiles to help sort out differences where there are any, I just need to read them more.
Kevin

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 01:03:16 PM »
Interestingly enough, the scheme I've chosen above is supposed to be an OAW built machine, so I may well go with the bigger wheels. I have most of the the Albatos datafiles to help sort out differences where there are any, I just need to read them more.

Note different rudder shape on OAW machine from your kit; also radiator placement and dozens of little details that the Roden kit doesn't really acknowledge (nose panels are different etc)

Offline Fokker boy

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 03:11:30 PM »
Well in that case, I may just build it in the OOB configuration, as I have no real desire to modify it any. (The judging at the regional events don't really take into account those types of issues anyway, so I'm covered there, thank goodness.)
Kevin

Offline kornbeef

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 03:53:50 PM »
Yes as Bo said a myriad of differences some easy to do others not so.

Anyway who's to say the pilot didnt have a similarly marked machine before he got the OAW bird?.

Keith

Offline KitRookie37

« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 03:58:19 PM »
Hello to all,
Very interesting start. I follow this build.
Best regards.
Alain.
Use the force, Luke.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2014, 08:23:30 PM »
Anyway, if you are interested, this book is a good primer on the development of the Alb D.III and the differences between those built by the three manufacturers:

http://www.amazon.com/Albatros-D-III-Johannisthal-variants-Vanguard/dp/1782003711/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1417429171&sr=1-1&keywords=albatros+d.iii

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2014, 08:52:27 PM »

Note different rudder shape on OAW machine from your kit; also radiator placement and dozens of little details that the Roden kit doesn't really acknowledge (nose panels are different etc)

In Rodens defense they do make all of the "Major changes" necessary in their OAW version of the DIII, kit # 608. The only company to do so to date!  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline kornbeef

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2014, 10:13:36 PM »
I agree totally Rick. new fuselage halves, cowls/cockpit opening undercarriage and upper wing to note a few.
I still think all things considered the Roden Albies stand up well all things considered
(I'm not biased at all of course... Me an Albiefanatic...ummmm. ;D)

Keith