Author Topic: Stan Dallas Se 5a  (Read 6555 times)

Offline RussellSmith

• Russell Smith Studios
Stan Dallas Se 5a
« on: November 23, 2014, 04:10:13 AM »
Well, I've been a little remiss in posting any new works or projects here in the past few months.Not that I haven't been busy, just slack.

Anyway, here is a commission that I am currently working on. It features SE 5a's of 40 Sq RAF, based at Bruay aerodrome in May of 1918. The scene depicts the SE 5a's as they are getting ready to pull the chocks for a sortie. The Se 5a in the foreground is that of Major Stan Dallas, the highest scoring Australian Ace. His SE 5a, D3511, wore a distinctive camouflage pattern which you don't see on other SE5s (or any other late-war British scout, for that matter). I'll skip over all of the preliminary work which has already been completed and bring you straight to the in-progress painting itself.

The color underpainting is now finished. I've been doing a good bit of plein air  work (i.e. painting outdoors) in the past few months which has boosted my awareness of values and light. As a result, I've skipped over the bruneille stage here and gone straight to color. Some of the background is only loosely brushed in. I gave the most attention to the main compositional elements. I’ll give the background more love on the next go around.

I already see some edits which need to be made and I am making notes of things to address on the next round. In particular, the guy at the nose of the second SE is a little distracting. There needs to be a vertical shape over there to contain your eye within the composition, but as he is now he competes with the subject. Changing his blue overalls to brown may fix that. He might be a little too big also. I need to adjust him.

I’m setting this one aside for now to dry. My schedule won’t allow me to get back to it for a few weeks, which will actually be good. That will give it time to ripen. I should be able to get back on this right after Christmas.

"Art is about creating a feeling, an emotion, not about creating a pictorial catalog of the artist's knowledge and research" - Gil Cohen.
Russell Smith
site: www.russellsmithart.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Russel...s/103226508613

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Stan Dallas Se 5a
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 05:52:32 AM »
I love it, Russ!  Even at this stage, I would happily buy it and proudly hang it with the others.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 11:13:43 PM »
I can't get over on how life like this is and your not even done the painting yet !

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2014, 11:48:23 PM »
Love the reflection of the struts on the CDL, Russ  ;)
Looking forward to seeing the finished painting.
Cheers,
Bob

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 01:27:27 AM »
Like Bud, I just love this Russell. It is so evocative. Good luck with the additional work.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 11:30:20 AM »
Russel,
 This will certainly be Another beautiful addition to your Stable of Gorgeous paintings!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RussellSmith

• Russell Smith Studios
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 11:42:38 PM »
A quick update on this piece: It is worth noting that sometimes even a professional artist with years of experience under his belt can go off and make a stupid, amateurish mistake. In this case, I used a profile in an Osprey book as my ONLY markings reference. Turns out, that profile was not only wrong, it was very wrong. Closer photo examination of Dallas' SE5a clearly shows at least 3 different tones in the camouflage scheme rather than the 2 depicted in the Osprey profile. If I had just looked more closely at the photo I would have noticed that. To confuse the issue even further, no one can say with any certainty exactly what colors were used.

At the suggestion of Greg VanWyngarden, I contacted my friend Ronny Bar to get his input. Ronny's profile of D3511 is the most feasible depiction that I've seen, although Ronny stressed to me that his, like any others, is only speculative. Ronny graciously allowed me to base the markings in my painting off of his work. Corrections were completed last week, and next week I'll be starting on the finish work for this piece.

Cheers Ronny! :cheers:

"Art is about creating a feeling, an emotion, not about creating a pictorial catalog of the artist's knowledge and research" - Gil Cohen.
Russell Smith

Offline Dol

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 09:26:20 PM »
Hello,
I'm quiet new in this forum so I'm discovering your work. And I like it  :D I suppose you've already said however could you tell me what kind of technique do you use?
Thank's for sharing your work with us.
I wish you an happy new year with many beautiful paintings.
Jean-Luc
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 05:07:22 AM by Dol »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 03:25:18 AM »
Russel,
Your changes have made a great painting even better!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 06:57:17 AM »
It's marvelous how such a small alteration will make such a huge difference to the appearance of the work, beautiful Russell.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

WarrenD

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 09:34:39 AM »
Russell, I've always loved your work, and this does not disappoint in the least.

Warren

Offline RussellSmith

• Russell Smith Studios
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 09:56:11 PM »
Finished.

Stan's Colorful Steed
50" x 25"
oil on linen

Russell Smith

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 11:46:35 PM »
Glorious work, as ever, Russell. I so admire your talents. And it's an SE5a too - one of my favourite aircraft!

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2015, 02:05:18 AM »
Beautiful Russell, it literally blasts the sounds and atmosphere of the Aerodrome right out of the painting at you. As usual, a superb piece of work!
Love it.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2015, 09:03:42 AM »
Beautiful work, Russell.  Another amazing painting. :D

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...