Author Topic: wnw Felixstowe  (Read 28107 times)

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
Re: wnw Felixstowe
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2014, 04:18:55 PM »
Yes, it is big, but so are decent scale model ships. Early this year I decided to seriously reduce my kit stash. I never had that many compared to some of my friends and other people who posted about theirs on different forms. I like the size of the Wingnut Wings kits because they require patience and longer build times than the smaller, less detailed ones. Being focused primarily on WWI is also a factor. I like the historical connections and the rather obscure nature of the subject. I have also come to prefer the modeling itself more than having a yet another finished model to put on the shelf.

I think the detail in this particular model will be nothing short of astonishing, given the size of the aircraft in this scale and Wingnuts Wings attention to detail, engineering and fit. I am not really interested any longer and building small models, one after another, and putting them on display shelves. For this one and larger models I think part of the cost in displaying and protecting them will be in their individual display cases.

This is a bold and significant step for wingnut wings and I am grateful to see it. I will certainly be buying one and perhaps both.I will also be selling off the remains of my other smaller and less interesting model kits.
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2014, 04:22:41 PM »
wow, neat airplane but its gonna be a pass for me. waaaay to big, like the gotha, dont want or need one of those. i'm just not a bomber guy. i love fighters and 2 seaters. i say to each his own, but even if i had the room, i just am not into big white elephants. just my opinion of course i thought i would voice a "counter" post for texture.i think this is too big even in 1/48. if, a big if a got a kit for this craft it would be a 1/72.

I am with you. I already said the W12  would give me the chance to look at older releases I do not have, and this one just reinforces my lack of interest in the new Christmas stuff. So I clicked on the following to add to my cart:
1. Salmson
2. Se5a
3. DH2
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2014, 09:25:59 PM »
I'm also on the pass list.  It is a massive model and it will be fun
to see the build logs to come, but way too big for me.  Makes the
Rumpler I want look absolutely tiny!  Having said all that, good
for you, Wingnuts for working way outside the box!

Cheers
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline DannyVM

« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2014, 09:45:58 PM »
Hmmmm....i passed the HK B-25, i passed the HK B-17, i will pas the forthcoming Lancaster................... ;D ;D ;D......but.....

I WILL NOT PASS THE FELIXSTOWE F.2a Early and Late, these two baby's where allready for a long time on my wish list, so, finnaly, soon i will get my hands on them. :P :P :P

Greetz

Danny

Offline petrov27

« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2014, 11:41:00 PM »
I get what the "pass" folks are saying; I dabble in WW2 models and had picked up the 1/32 HK B-17G when that came out; extremely impressive kit but just seemed overwhelmingly big so I traded it away not long after receiving it.

I am much more interested in the Felix vs the B-17 though so I am highly doubtful I will have the same feeling when I have that in my hands - there will be space made for it one way or the other!
-Patrick

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2014, 11:44:19 PM »
It's definitely an interesting choice by WnW and to me it reinforces the notion that Sir Peter continues to release whatever appeals to him, regardless of the potential for sales. I like his style.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

WarrenD

« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2014, 12:47:20 AM »
wow, neat airplane but its gonna be a pass for me. waaaay to big, like the gotha, dont want or need one of those. i'm just not a bomber guy. i love fighters and 2 seaters. i say to each his own, but even if i had the room, i just am not into big white elephants. just my opinion of course i thought i would voice a "counter" post for texture.i think this is too big even in 1/48. if, a big if a got a kit for this craft it would be a 1/72.

Despite my enthusiasm this is probably going to be the case for me too. I do happen to like bombers, ergo why my stash is in 1/72nd, and add to that I have a Roden Felix in the stash I haven't built so there is some guilt on my part when thinking about the possibility of buying this.  I resisted buyign any WNW kits until this last week.
On the other hand, I do so love to fly the Felixstowe on my Rise of Flight simulator, it's a joy. (The Gotha, not so much, but it is fun to bomb factories. We actually had a formation of six Gothas on a multi-player server once and carpet-bombed a factory, but that's another story.) 8)

Warren

Offline eindecker

• Models In Scale
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2014, 02:43:47 AM »
I think the announcement of the Felixstowe has surfaced an interesting aspect of modeling. Space. We  all enjoy modeling for different reasons and the display of our finished work seems to be very important for some of us. I have limited display space, and tend to have four or five larger scale models in it at any time. I rotate them with a few others I have stored away from time to time, and sometimes set my newly made model out in the open. Dust is an issue, but I have a couple of very soft brushes I use to clean them up occasionally if needed.

Currently, I have three unbuilt large-scale models: HM Sherbourne (a plank-on-bulkhead ship), a 1:12 Williams F1 car and the Wingnut Wings Gotha. I plan to get a (or maybe both) Felixstowe, so I am obviously going to need some serious display space. This has confirmed my new direction in modeling: going for what I want that has historical value to me and the detail and quality to keep me going during long build processes. Putting together 1:72 and similar scaled kits has been fun, but they have lost their charm in view of the exquisite larger scale offerings we are seeing these days. I'm not a kid any longer. I'm dealing with some serious health issues and quality of life and modeling has become even more significant and important these days.

So, for those reasons, the new Felixstowe has come right on time.
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

WarrenD

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2014, 04:30:42 AM »
This has confirmed my new direction in modeling: going for what I want that has historical value to me and the detail and quality to keep me going during long build processes. Putting together 1:72 and similar scaled kits has been fun, but they have lost their charm in view of the exquisite larger scale offerings we are seeing these days. I'm not a kid any longer. I'm dealing with some serious health issues and quality of life and modeling has become even more significant and important these days.

So, for those reasons, the new Felixstowe has come right on time.

That. Right there. It's a hobby and past-time. If any of us are not enjoying what we're doing, no matter the scale or subject, then we need to step back and re-evaluate. I recently left a hobby/avocation that I had practiced off and on for over thirty years. Why? Multiple reasons, but most of all, it wasn't bringing me any joy or happiness any more. Life is far, far too short, and time is not a renewable or recyclable resource.

Warren
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 04:52:06 AM by WarrenD »

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2014, 04:34:59 AM »
Shame we don't have a 'Like' feature here, Warren and Eindecker, I am with your sentiments 100% guys
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

WarrenD

« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2014, 04:52:41 AM »
Shame we don't have a 'Like' feature here, Warren and Eindecker, I am with your sentiments 100% guys

:) ;D

Offline Ssasho0

• Scale Models Club Bulgaria
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2014, 05:29:23 AM »

I was thinking the same for both the "like" feature and for the very important points made by Eindecker and WarrenD!
Think globally, act locally!

Offline Russell

« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2014, 05:31:38 AM »
"Removable outer wing panels for easier storage"

Interesting to see how this will be pulled off considering the rigging?

Yes very interesting. Perhaps it only applies to a partiality rigged model?

Regards
Russell

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2014, 05:54:05 AM »
The "like" thing has come up before -- Des even looked into seeing if SMF has such an option that his hosts could add. Unfortunately, no go.

Offline eindecker

• Models In Scale
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2014, 06:18:03 AM »
:)
Michael Scott