Author Topic: WNW AMC DH2 24 Sqn. Major Lanoe Hawker VC  (Read 37266 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
WNW AMC DH2 24 Sqn. Major Lanoe Hawker VC
« on: November 02, 2014, 08:36:17 AM »
    This is my next Build, the Wingnut Wings DH2 in the colours of British Ace and VC Winner Major Lanoe G. Hawker, CO of the first DH2 Squadron on the Western Front. Hawker was shot down and killed in this machine in an epic dogfight with Ltn. Manfred von Richthofen on 23 November 1916. He was the 11th victim of the Red Baron's eventual 80 Kills. These are some quick Work Bench Photos to open the Build Log.

The Kit is up to the usual Wingnut Wings high quality standard however it does have a bit more flash on some of the moldings then I've seen in the past.

The decal Sheet has the tail numbers for Tidmarsh's 5924, actually corrected to 5929 and, by inverting the spare letter 9 supplied and removing the 2, I can change it to Hawkers' Tail # 5964.

I have three references for the Build in addition to the WNW Photo Gallery as shown. The Albatros Publications Datafile #48, Osprey's "Pusher Aces of WWI, and also their DH2 vs. Albatros DI/DII volume.

The colour scheme is represented in the Pusher Aces book and shows the later PC10 and CDL Scheme that replaced the grey metal and CDL scheme in late 1916.

Finally I'll be using a few After market items on the project. Pictured are the usual Aeroclub Instrument Bezels, Eduard's PE Stitching, and HGW Belts left over from a previous project. They are actually for the Sopwith Tripe however match the wide leather and fabric lap belt used on the DH2.

Not shown (still in the mail) are the Taurus Gnome Monosoupape 100HP engine and the Gas Patch Mk II Lewis Gun that will be added. The engine, from the comments I've read here, will be a project of it's own! :-\
    I'm very much looking forward to this Build; hopefully there's enough good Single Malt in the area to get me through the rigging exercise! I've already studied the Guide on von Buckle's Website.
Cheers,
Lance

« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 08:42:43 AM by lcarroll »

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: WNW AMC DH2 24 Sqn. Major Lanoe Hawker VC
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 08:48:35 AM »
Excellent choice of subject Lance, your skills and expertise will see you get through this model with relative ease, the rigging, although daunting, is not as bad as it looks. I followed the rigging guide that you have and found no real issues at all. I'm looking forward to seeing you start on this one, the Taurus engine is a kit in its own right and being on the DH.2 it will be in full view, very worthy of such an excellent engine.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 08:58:51 AM »
Looks like fun!

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 09:38:33 AM »
Excellent Lance!  This one is next on my list as well, after Goring's D.VII.  I have a Corgi painted figure of Maj. Hawker in full flying kit, so I will be doing his aircraft as well. ;D 

I recall an extensive thread regarding a Rise of Flight skin of this particular machine, which involved review of the No. 24 Squadron archives, and which ultimately concluded that the entire nacelle had been overpainted with PC-10 by the time of the Richthofen duel on November 23, 1916.  I can't locate that thread now, but here is the final result:

http://riseofflight.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=307&t=11950

I guess we can't really be certain. ::)  Have fun with this one.  I'll go to school on your build log. ;D 

Cheers,

Bob

Offline radio

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 09:40:37 AM »
Lance I will watch your build.
Martin

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 10:47:17 AM »
Great choice, Lance. I'm really looking forward to following your build.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline BigBlue

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2014, 10:55:17 AM »
I'm looking forward to this, Lance!

Chris

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2014, 11:40:52 AM »
Brilliant choice, Lance!  I'm planning on doing this very same ship in 1/48 scale, so I will be following along very closely.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 11:41:11 AM »
   Thanks for the encouragement Guys. Bob, special Thanks for the Link and the info on the Scheme. I don't give Osprey nearly the credibility that I do, for example, Albatros Publications, but  Mr. Harry Dempsey, who did all the profiles in this case is normally, in my eyes, a very credible source. I'd prefer the "mix" of CDL and PC-10 however if anyone has more info please join in. There appear to have been many schemes; the early CDL and grey metal surfaces, PC10 and CDL on the nacelle with PC10 and Cdl wings, and the all PC10 nacelle scheme. Just another riddle! :-\  :o
Cheers,
Lance

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2014, 12:01:07 PM »
Hey, Lance, after reading your last post, I feel the need to chime in in support of Bob on the scheme.  I have the greatest respect for Harry Dempsey and the Osprey series, but I have found their schemes to be flawed on a number of occasions.  Here's a link to Russel Smith's rendition.
http://www.russellsmithart.com/Small%20pages/Hector.html
Russ is extraordinarily thorough in his research, so I'm inclined to go with this version, but I also agree with you that the PC10 and grey look very cool together and, after all, it is your model to build as you like.  Which ever choice you make, I know the end result will be a truly fabulous model, finished to your usual high standards.  Just my 2 cents.  I'll shut up now.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 12:29:45 PM »
Oh WOW! Perfect choice, Lance. :D  I have a WnW version as yours haunting me
in the corner and I am trying to ignore it for fear of ending up trapped in
a spider web of rigging.  With you leading the way, I feel much better already! ;D
Looking forward to following your build, my friend. :D

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2014, 05:37:03 PM »
Good luck, Lance!
I'll be in the wings watching your progress  ;)

Cheers,
BVB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2014, 10:53:06 PM »
It sure didn't take you long to get stuck into another build Lance. You could hardly have cleared your bench from the D.VII. That's a spot of good luck in that you can rework those serial numbers to fit your subject. I'm looking forward to following your progress on this Lance, and although it's early on, the WWI PE stitching intrigues me. Who knew there was stuff like this available? Certainly not me, but I don't get out from under this rock very much.  :P

I'll slow down on my Salmson (if that's even possible) to give you the opportunity to break a good trail for me.  ;)

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2014, 11:48:53 PM »
the WWI PE stitching intrigues me. Who knew there was stuff like this available? Certainly not me
Cheers,

Chris

Chris,

There is also 1/32 WWI resin stitching on clear decal paper from Archer Fine Transfers.  ;D. You need to get out more often. ;)

Cheers,

Bob

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2014, 11:49:20 PM »
Good call, Lance, and all the best of good luck with this build. Chris, Mark and I will stand by to ship you a couple of cases of "good Single Malt" when comes time for the rigging...just in case you run out!  ;D
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."