Author Topic: NCO 1st Bavarian Field Artillery  (Read 1552 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
NCO 1st Bavarian Field Artillery
« on: October 21, 2014, 09:12:59 AM »
Not aviation related but this is a 54mm figure painted by Gunther, the figure is of an NCO of the 1st Bavarian Field Artillery Regiment.
The figure is from the Kaiser's Army series by www.Zwerg vom Nettenscheid.de
Gunther painted this figure with Vallejo and Andrea acrylics.

Des.

Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline stefanbuss

Re: NCO 1st Bavarian Field Artillery
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2014, 04:38:45 PM »
And a very nice paintjob that is! I like that figure a lot.

Stefan

Offline GHE

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 12:52:22 AM »
Meine Herren !
Kaiser's Army is a series sold via www.Zwerg vom Nettenscheid (Dwarf of Nettenscheid) who also does Fantasy items etc.
Alan Ball ( MB Miniatures on the web ) often sculptures those figures.
Up to now there is no flying personnel in the range, but for dioramas one always needs some artillery....boom,boom (B.Adder)
ModelDesignConstruction/UK do have excellent figures for the aircraft range- see their Website.

This is my first WW 1 figure and it is one of only a handful figures I painted ( still working on a Game of Thrones Vignette for my wife ) in the recent years.
I'm still training myself, especially the faces are an important part.
This figure was solely done with the Vallejo /Andrea acrylics.
Mixt Media of course is always  a very good choice.
The main goal is to replicate the surface of cloth, gear, metal. Everything that does the job well is allowed.
But what I always try to do: do not let cloth look glossy or semi gloss.
Meanwhile I always use a head-magnifying glass; this is really helpful !! -and makes the job more easy.

As to paints: try them, there is no "ONLY THIS WILL DO".
Painting: work with well diluted paint; it is better to build up several layers; this enhances the 3D effect; do not overdo shadows
( blackpainting - but this is a matter of taste ); remember from where the sunlight falls on your soldier.
Learn from pictures in books and magazines: of real items or models.

Painting a knight might be a good training, since you must not follow uniform regulatives; one might also use a soft plastic
model soldier (Airfix) to try faces.
One thing I noticed:a good sculpted figure is more rewarding to paint, especially a well made face. What is not there in 3D
can't be "painted on " (easily).

In the end it is like rigging: do not shy away from it, even if the first steps are frustrating; afterwards it will be great fun !
On my photo you'll notice the brush strokes and his left eye is injured ( a little faulty it was - but that is not the usual case).
At normal eye distance you will not notice the strokes; this is the magnifying effect of the lens that shows more detail than you would notice at normal eye distance.
Imagine yourself beeing a painter in a theatre: you have to create optical illusions on stage; painting models and figures
means creating an illusion: looking real but just smaller.

Kind regards, Gunther

LZeppelin rocks!

WarrenD

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 09:05:57 AM »
I like the figure very much, great job Gunther!  However, the link www.Zwerg does not work. A quick Google search gave me nothing either. Is there a more complete web address?

Thanks!

Warren

Online RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 01:18:26 PM »
Gunther,
Very nice painting on that figure! Like you have said painting figures is a matter of practice, and one does have to start somewhere. I dabble in figure painting and can attest to the fact that if I can do it anyone can with practice  ::) I think you are certainly headed in the right direction and am impressed with your work!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler