Author Topic: Wood Planking on Roland DVIb?  (Read 1192 times)

Offline nmroberto

Wood Planking on Roland DVIb?
« on: October 11, 2014, 01:32:01 AM »
I just ordered a WNW Roland DVIb and am doing some pre planning.

Anyone have any ideas about the best way to get the wood grain effect on a Roland fuselage?  Since all the planks would be slightly different, would you tape off each individual plank and finish them separately? 

Robert
Robert

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: Wood Planking on Roland DVIb?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 01:49:51 AM »
That's the way I would do it, Robert.  Or use Uschi van der Rosten wood decals.  Or a combination of both.  Still haven't decided on a course of action for when I do mine.  I suggest going to the WNW website and pulling up customer models.  Compare the overall look of the models that were obviously masked against those that were obviously not.  That should help you decide.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Dekenba

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 01:54:56 AM »
Funnily enough I was thinking the same thing.

Best approach I have seen is to cut individual strips of wood decal to fit the planks, like this build log:

http://akinteractive.foroactivo.com/t203p30-plywood-and-canvas-2-wnws-roland-d-via

Under a couple of coats of varnish the effect is utterly stunning, I think.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 02:17:16 AM »
Yep.  Alex's Roland is a perfect example.  I especially like the splice effect he created.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Ssasho0

• Scale Models Club Bulgaria
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 08:38:01 PM »
As I worked some time ago on the same model, I had to make a plan and answer all those questions for myslef. I checked all those build logs here and on other sites, gather information and decided on the way of recreating the planking! I reccomend you to check Szymon's build, it as good and informative as Alex's build. In the past I used both oils (for Roland DVIa) and decals (for Alb DVa) for recreating wood. I personally like the end result from the oils more than that of the decal.
The one advice I can give is to pick one of the ways of recreating wood and to stick to it, no matter if it is decals or oils!
Plank masking, you will have to mask and apply acrylics for sure, no matter which way you go afterwards. I used strips of tamiya tape to brush different acrylics over the planks and then I added on top some tiny spots with more colors, to get as much variation of the colour as possible. Then applied the oils  and after the "main" oil colour (one and the same for all wood) I added tiny spots of reddish and brown oils and blended them along the fuselage, keeping them in one plank only.
I hope the explanation is good enough.
Here (somewhere at the middle of the page) I created a short tutorial for my clubmates on recreating wood. It is in Bulgarian language, but still the pictures are selfexplantory.

best regards,
Sasho
Think globally, act locally!

Offline compressor man

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 09:13:25 AM »
The wingnut wings modelers guide book has a really nice tutorial in this very thing. If you do not have this book I highly recommend it. A lot of really useful information and fantastic photos and models can be found there.
Chris