Author Topic: Nieuport instrument panel  (Read 2087 times)

Offline Eudgen

Nieuport instrument panel
« on: May 29, 2012, 08:04:12 PM »
As far as I know, Nieuport had only one instrument in the cockpit (two or three instruments were in RFC service airplanes).

The question is, what kind of device - tachometer, speedometer?
Roden makes no decal with the dials, so I need to select the dial from image below for printing. Scale already 1/32

Or buy the AirScale decal

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Nieuport instrument panel
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2012, 08:17:48 PM »
The Airscale WW1 instrument decals are brilliant and well worth purchasing, they are very easy to use and look realistic.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2012, 09:43:15 PM »
    Evgeniy,
I've always thought the instrument was a tachometer.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 06:25:00 PM »
i would imagine a fuel level gauge would be most important.

Offline Jim52

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 10:37:53 PM »
I think that the fuel gauge was a sight tube mounted
to the tank itself.

Jim

Offline Eudgen

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 11:21:36 PM »
I read about the imperfection of the machine gun synchronizer. The machine gun worked correctly only in a certain range of engine RPMs. The pilot had to see the desired RPMs.
Just can not remember where I read.

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2012, 02:32:25 AM »
  Evgeniy,
My friend I believe we've both read the same information somewhere. Like you I don't remember where or when.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 09:34:22 PM »
Late to this discussion but I am fairly sure it is a tachometer as Gregory suggests. Here is the layout of the N.17 from the RoF manual.

And the N.11

« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 09:51:45 PM by UncleTony »

WarrenD

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2012, 11:27:31 AM »
First off, thanks UncleTony for posting those shots from RoF.  ;D

OK, and I'm really NOT trying to be a buzz kill, that is from a flight sim manual, and to the best of my knowledge has no basis in fact. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE RoF*,  :D but we recently had a discussion of this cockpit layout over on the RoF forums this last week. BLUF (bottom line up front) we pretty much agreed that this was 777 Studios' best guess as to what a Nie.17 cockpit would look like IF you had all of those instruments. I do not claim to have the be-all/end-all library on Nieuport fighters, but the Nie.17 has been a special fetish of mine for a number of years now, and good cockpit shots are rare as hen's teeth. None of us on that thread could come up with anything like a legitimate source for this layout.  ???

I personally feel this is 777 Studios' attempt at a cockpit that features all of these instruments should the customer wish to have them. (FWIW, I've encountered some Albatros fans who have issues with some of the instruments and layout for those a/c in the sim as well.) Did Noops have more instruments aside from the ubiquitous tachometer as featured in the image that Eugden posted? I sure think so, but I have yet to see any good images to prove my opinion. As WWI a/c modelers, we very often have to "fudge" things when data is lacking. (And it often is!)
Everybody has to build their models as they best see fit, but I just didn't want anyone to go away thinking that what 777 came up with was authoritative.

Warren

*Actually, right now I hate RoF because since my last update this month, the sim keeps crashing/failing. I'm not the only one suffering through this right now either.  :'( >:(

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2012, 12:57:42 AM »
Missed that discussion on RoF forum.  Certainly there is guesswork involved. Didnt mean to suggest the 777/RoF was the last word in authority on this subject -- hardly -- , the point of using this illustration was to suggest that the large instrument was most likely a tachometer as they tend to do pretty well on the major things. And it was handy :) It does seem to jibe with other cockpit illustrations I have seen. The tachometer theory makes sense operationally -- if you had to have one engine instrument that would be the one you'd want most. I am no Noop expert however. For all I know it is a baguette counter.

Incidentally the RoF/777  Alby D.Va cockpit is pretty darn close to the NASM Stropp machine, in fact they inadvertently copied a detail that is a result of the restoration -- the framing wood is darker than the paneling which is due to age of the framing vs. the "fresh" siding. I made the same mistake on my build -- oh we'll it looks cool  :)

WarrenD

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2012, 03:23:54 AM »
UncleTony,
                 Oh yes, I know you didn't imply that, but you and I both know sometimes folks will see something in print and assume it to be "the word".  ;)  Also, folks here who are not familiar with RoF might not understand the whys and wherefores associated with it, etc.
I too was surprised to see the comment regarding the instruments in the Albie office as I too thought it pretty darned close as well, but I have yet to have time to consult my resources to see.
I think 777/RoF did a bang up job myself, and the layout they made for the Noop cockpit that you posted is as good of a "maybe this was it?" guide as any, but it's also a "best guess" on their part.

Warren