Author Topic: WNW Pfalz D.IIIa  (Read 4987 times)

Offline gcn

Re: WNW Pfalz D.IIIa
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2012, 11:12:18 PM »
The hubs:

Base coat of silver mixed with white.
The black spiders legs were brush painted with Vallejo black.
The brown is a very thin mix of tamiya brown and black, with more emphasis on the brown than black from how I remembered it. Normally it would be 50/50
A black oil pin wash right up against the hub and due to the thin nature of the wash capillary action meant it covers the entire od with one application of brush to plastic.
Eternal edge of hub highlighted in silver to create highlights.

The whole wheel followed a similar process. With the edges getting lowlights, raised areas having a pin wash to accentuate shadows with the raised bolts highlighted. Finished with random spraying of the black brown mix across the surface. This is highly thinned as the effect should be very subtle.

Offline modelguy

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2012, 07:40:34 AM »
Pfantastic Pfalz!
Watch this space

modelmaker

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2012, 11:26:04 PM »
Perfection in plastic ! That is beautiful , nice suttle weathering and tonings .

Sean

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2012, 01:22:59 AM »
Lovely work, Gary -

Particularly like the colour scheme.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2012, 01:44:30 AM »
Gary,
   Once again, beautiful job. Bear with me; regarding the hubs, what is a "pin wash"? The term is new to me, and I'm always trying to learn new techniques and tricks.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline gcn

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2012, 03:42:42 AM »
Lance it's a term borrowed from the armour modellers.

Basically it's a thin oil wash of predominantly a dark colour that is used to emphasise shadows on raised items. Your surface should be veering towards a glossy shine. What you do is load the brush with enough liquid that when the brush hits the surface capillary action and the gloss surface means that the wash will hug the surface around the base of the raised area.

If you have too much liquid it will flood the area but just touch a dry brush into the flood and the oil will soak into brush and you can start again.

Oil washes are much easier to control compared to an acrylic wash but the technique is essentially the same.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2012, 05:02:26 AM »
Gary,
    It's a technique I have often used........just didn't know it had a name. Clever folks, those "mudders"!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline gcn

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2012, 06:23:28 AM »
Looking at the quality of your build Lance I would have been amazed if you didn't use that technique in some form or another.

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2012, 09:16:37 AM »
Very nice indeed!

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.