Author Topic: Things happen in 3's  (Read 1796 times)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Things happen in 3's
« on: October 11, 2014, 09:54:31 AM »
No.1 - I was drilling a hole in some aluminium tube in a very awkward position, the drill bit snapped causing the electric drill and the remaining piece of the drill bit to pass through my shirt and drill jnto my stomach.

No.2 - I was helping my wife clean up the kitchen after preparing a meal, I washed the vegetable slice and while drying it I slipped and the razor like blades cut under the finger nail of my little finger, heaps of blood and it looks like the loss of the nail, I have a heavily bandaged finger.

No.3 - I'm still waiting, all the above happened this week so for the remainder of this week I have been taking it very very easy, I am keeping away from all sharp objects especially my scalpels, a good time to sit and read a book.

Des.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 10:34:47 AM by Des »
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline IanB

Re: Things happen in 3's
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 11:41:17 AM »
Watch out for paper cuts, Des - very painful..... ;)

Ian

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 12:12:13 PM »
Watch out for paper cuts, Des - very painful..... ;)

Ian
Ooooh, yeah!  Watch out for those.  Read only books with very thick paper, or read online.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Online bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 04:54:33 PM »
I feel your pain, Des!  :o

Towards the back end of last year I put one of these through the soft fleshy skin just above the knee. Opened up like a blood orange - not a pretty sight.
A trip to the hospital, a tetanus booster and a whole load of medical grade superglue put me back in the saddle.

Hope you're back at the bench ASAP.

Von HopAlongHedgeTrimmer

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Cimmerian

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 05:05:59 PM »
Stay in bed, do not even think about getting up.
Regards, Ken

It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”

Offline Steven Robson

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 09:12:31 AM »
Oh dear, sounds painful Des.  DIY abdominal surgery at your hobby desk.

I'm glad you weren't helping Bob Von Buckles with his gardening that day.  ;D
Make Otto your motto for lovely spoked wheels.

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 04:03:52 PM »
Staying away from knives etc. won't help you Des. The stuff is gonna get you sooner or later...

Beware of bookshelves. Paper cuts are bad, but a heavy reference book dropped onto your head might be worse.

Get well soon.

Stefan

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 04:50:36 PM »
Thanks guys for all your kind wishes and suggestions.

The drill bit in the stomach injury cleared up very quickly and is only a small scar, but the finger cut is a lot worse. My finger is still heavily bandaged and is very tender to the touch, the slightest bump has pain shooting through my whole hand. The wound is not infected and on the outside is healing very well, it is the internal damage that is causing all the pain, this will take some time to heal as the blade penetrated very deep. Modeling continues but at a slower pace  ;)

Des.

Offline Jim

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 06:23:38 PM »
Des: Sorry to hear the cut is still causing you some trouble and hope it doesn't delay your current build too much. You mentioned sitting down with a good book while you recover, which made me wonder if you have ever read Sopwith Scout 7309?
Woof!

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2014, 08:22:18 PM »
Thanks Jim for your kind words.  I have not read Sopwith Scout 7309 but I am reading the full history of the aircraft which is the subject of my current scratch build, the 1911 Curtiss Hydroaeroplane. I'm also scaling the engine drawings from the book, the book drawings are 1:6 scale so I have calculated the conversion to get the drawings to 1:32 scale, once resized in my drawing progam they are printing out very clear, the book also has some 1:4 scale drawings so these will also be scaled to 1:32 and printed, I'm printing them at 600dpi.

Des.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2014, 09:58:30 PM »
Soak your hand in Epson salts , it will draw out the toxins and heal 10 times faster ....

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Jim

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2014, 11:29:18 AM »
Des: Sopwith Scout 7309 heading your way. Hope you enjoy reading it.
Woof!

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2014, 11:43:37 AM »
Thanks for the tip Terri, will give it a go.

I look forward to reading the Sopwith Scout 7309 Jim, thank you for sending it to me.

Des.