Author Topic: Question on Gotthard Sachenberg's Black and yellow D.VII  (Read 1154 times)

Offline davecww1

Question on Gotthard Sachenberg's Black and yellow D.VII
« on: August 15, 2014, 04:16:32 AM »
Here's a question for everyone...
for Sachenberg's D.VII with the yellow and black diamonds, the artwork for this aircraft in Fokker D.VII Anthology Vol. 3 shows the lower cowl and underside of the nose in the same yellow as the struts and landing gear wing, which makes sense to me.  Ray Rimmell's profile shows the lower cowling all the way back to the yellow and black diamonds on the bottom as yellow. 
But in the Wingnut wings kit, featuring artwork from Ronny Bar, the underside of the nose is done in black, and even stranger to me the flat lower portion in front of the wing joint is left in olive as painted at the factory.   
When looking at the only photo that I have of this aircraft from the front view (photo # MFJ-6 in the Anthology Vol. 3) the lower cowl does look black, but so does the landing gear strut and top of the landing gear wing, which we know to be yellow.  It is due to the shadow under the nose and the angle of the light, in this photo on the upper front of the side cowl you cannot  even tell where the black outline and yellow meet, it is all in shadow, but they are not saying to paint that area black as well... And also if they took the time to paint the entire fuselage in black and yellow diamonds and the upper wing yellow why would they leave the flat panel under the fuselage olive green?  Very odd to me, so unless there is some evidence that I have not seen I am going to keep with Ray Rimmell's original profile and the instructions in the Aeromaster decals and go with all yellow.
Dave