Author Topic: tubes for rigging  (Read 1034 times)

Offline robvd

tubes for rigging
« on: August 13, 2014, 07:14:30 AM »
Maybe it is asked before,
but since I am starting with this forum  I couldn't find it.
As mentioned in my introduction.
I will soon start with a a fe-2 from WNW I know it will be a difficult kit especialy since it will be my first WW1 aircraft for many years but I hope that I can finish it as an tribute.
However doing research about rigging and the turnbuckles i stumble on a few questions.
 The first is what kind of turnbuckles are used on the FE-2 early version and does this aircraft also use RAF flat wire.
I als noticed that some of you use brass tube and others use Micro tubing..
What material is the best to be used for this and where can it be purchased preferably in The Netherlands
I am in need for 1/32 and 1/48 scale

I hope that someone can help

Thank you in advance

With regards

Rob :)

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: tubes for rigging
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 07:27:19 AM »
Hi Rob.

I don't know of any suppliers in the Netherlands but I purchase all of my micro brass tube from www.luckymodel.com and I use Griffon Model brass tube. The most common sizes I keep on hand are 0.3mm, 0.4mm and 0.5mm with 0.5mm being the size I use to make my 1:32 scale turnbuckles.

Luckmodel are an excellent company, they ship the brass tube with free post and their tube prices are excellent, their website can be a little difficult to navigate but if you type in griffon model in the product name you will be taken to the griffon page, just a matter of scrolling through until you find the tubes.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Dave Brewer

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 10:55:30 AM »
You could also search Albion Alloys on Ebay,there are a few suppliers in the UK.

Offline robvd

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 07:02:31 PM »
Thank you for the reply.

I will order the brass tubes.
Do you also know where to purchase micro tubing it appears that it is an flexibel material?

Also what kind of turnbuckles must I use for th FE2B?
I am thinking although rather expensive to use the ones from Gaspatch  after all it is an tribute build or otherwise Bobs Buckles. But i want to be sure what of kind of buckles to use so that I (as an novice so to say) will no make a mistake

Thank very much for the help

Rob :)

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2014, 07:17:45 PM »
Rob,
 You will need 1mm or 1.5mm lengths of tube depending on your dexterity with tweezers  ;) Do as Des suggests and you won't go wrong!
You would only use the Gaspatch turnbuckles (round wire) for the control rigging. Everything else is streamlined wire with small attachment points.

Good luck!
vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline nmroberto

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2014, 02:56:39 AM »
Which brings up a related question.  Typically where would turnbuckles vs. straight wire be used?
Robert