Author Topic: Avis Fokker EV  (Read 2202 times)

Offline drdave

Avis Fokker EV
« on: September 04, 2014, 06:50:49 AM »
Got your attention? I think I might do this next and this will commit me. I figure I have enough WNW spares to add a bit of extra detail.

Some Qs though.....what's the current consensus on top wing finish? Green, streaky or even lozenge front strip?

Does anyone have a spare WNW oberursel I could put in? I don't want to pay for a Taurus engine and have it not fit the cowling.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: Avis Fokker EV
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 07:47:22 AM »
Does anyone have a spare WNW oberursel I could put in? I don't want to pay for a Taurus engine and have it not fit the cowling.

The only WNW Oberursels available are the U series: U.0, U.I, U.III (Ghome Lambda/ Delta/Double Lambda copies). The E.V was powered with a UR.II (Le Rhone 9J copy).

Vector makes a pretty nice Ur.II... but the Roden Dr.I cowling won't fit over it without modding.  (I can't remember -- is the Avis E.V based on the Roden Dr.1?)

Aviattic sells a replacement Roden Dr.1 cowling to fit over the Vector engine.

Offline drdave

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 08:04:46 AM »
Cheers chaps. What would you choose for wing finish.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 08:25:56 AM »
If you are concerned about doing steaky wings there is always the aircraft flown by Lt.z. See Theo Osterkamp, this was the yellow and black bumble bee scheme with plain green wings, quite an attractive looking aeroplane, here is the link to my build where I used this same scheme;  http://www.ww1aircraftmodels.com/page21.html

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 08:30:19 AM »
Regarding wing finish, I'm with RB, overall green seems to be thoroughly debunked. The four colors (green, brown, violet, blue) proposed by DSA seem plausible to me.

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2014, 02:09:17 PM »
i have also seem some photos that imply streaked but uniform in color so 1 color streaked is a possibility at least on some e.v fokkers. i did my avis e.v by woodgraining it then streaking thinnned artist oils in green/brown upper and blue/violet lower and it looks stunning.

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2014, 03:48:55 PM »
I'd go with Bo and the RB on this with the streakily applied four colours (two upper surface and two lower surface). What seems less clear is how many bands of these colours there were on each of the wing surfaces. The number may well have varied from aircraft to aircraft.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline Brad Cancian

• Administrator
  • "This time I've got you, Red Baron!"
    • Brad's Models
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2014, 02:47:07 PM »
I recently built the Eduard E.V in 1/48 and used Dan San's research as a basis - I think you should be relatively safe using streaked camo on that upper wing.

Cheers,

BC

Offline drdave

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2014, 06:44:00 PM »
Ooohh Niiiice!