Author Topic: New book about Jasta 30!  (Read 1717 times)

Offline Galloway

New book about Jasta 30!
« on: August 05, 2014, 07:01:32 AM »
Ok I took this from another modeling site.... posted by Rich Hicks

This one is a must have for me! (I just found some photos of the front & back cover)

Ken

For those of us interested in WWI flying, a long-awaited book has finally been released. It is “Royal Prussian Jagdstaffel 30” by Bruno Schmäling and Winfried Bock, and it is excellent! It’s published by Aeronaut Books, Jack Herris’s company. The cover painting, plus one other painting in the book, are by Russell Smith, and another on the back cover is by Jerry Boucher. The 56(!) color profiles are by Jim Miller. The text is in English. Bruno Schmäling has interviewed several German pilots from WWI since the 1970’s, including a couple from Jasta 30, Otto Fuchs and Hans Holthusen.

Most of the 158 photographs have never been published before. Many of the profiles are a revelation! Of the 56 profiles, I believe no more than a dozen or so have been shown in the past – providing a large number of new, very colorful alternatives for Albatros D.III’s, Albatros D.V’s, Pfalz D.IIIa’s, Fokker D.VII’s, and even a Pfalz D.XII - and a DFW C.V hack with the orange diamond! There are even a few Albatros shown with the diamond marking (which I don't think I've ever seen) – very colorful.

As for some of the “known” profiles, there are also some different interpretations from the conventional wisdom, with good reasons to explain the differences. Another example of new (to me) info was that Hans-Georg von der Marwitz flew several planes with a wine-red fuselage (his favorite color) and a light blue nose (honoring his original cavalry regiment), besides the one Pfalz D.IIIa shown before – Alb. D.III, D.V, Fokker D.VII, and possibly a Pfalz D.XII (that one apparently wasn't around for long)! There will always be color debates (not exactly a news flash on HS), but if you use some of these versions, it'll be hard to prove you wrong!

There are 4 Fokker D.VII profiles, but few pictures had been discovered from this time period when the book went to print. Just after publication, the authors were made aware of some more photos from this time. This book is planned as the first of a series – the next will be about Jasta 23b. When the second book is published, they will include additional information on the D.VII's of Jasta 30, so that knowledge will continue to be updated. The third book will be on Jasta 5.

The book is hardbound, the 208 pages are 8.5” x 11”. It is available from aeronaut books, www.aeronautbooks.com.

This is a quality book, from established WWI aviation experts – with much more to come. If you're interested in flying in WWI, don't miss it!

Rich

« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 12:43:20 PM by Galloway »
"Slàinte mhòr agad!"

Offline Kreston

Re: New book about Jasta 30!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2014, 07:34:48 AM »
Took delivery of that book and the book on Menckhoff a couple of days ago.  Both look to be outstanding and well worth the money!
I shall never forget my admiration for that German pilot, who single handed, fought seven of us for ten minutes. I saw him go into a fairly steep dive and so I continued to watch, and then saw the triplane hit the ground and disappear into a thousand fragments...James McCudden

Offline Petie2nd

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2014, 11:55:05 AM »
Ken,

You beat me to it! That was my post; thanks for adding it here. I came over looking for anything I might find on this site, and was surprised not to find more. I could have had more to say, but didn't want to overwhelm folks on the "other" site with a full review of a WWI subject. I actually just finished reading it last night; will be getting back to it for modeling inspiration many times, I'm sure.

I suppose Rowan wishes he'd waited just a bit longer before releasing his Jasta 30 Pfalz sheet, but look at all of the other colorful subjects he could do now, with a general (not just D.IIIa) Jasta 30 sheet. I'm considering trying to use Fuchs's marking from the Pheon D.V sheet, but putting it in a white oval on a green D.V. Wish the rooster was already in red! Interesting detail about how his crew cut the fox & rooster from thin plywood & he screwed them on the fuselage, then unscrewed them & took them to Jasta 77b when he left!

How cool would a von der Marwitz red & orange D.VII, with the coat of arms, look? (I'm thinking it looks like an early Albatros version.)  And I have to say, August Hartmann's "moi Hexle" Fokker D.VII looks much better in orange and blue than in brown, as in the D.VII Anthology!

Definitely looking forward to the next in the series.

Rich

Offline Galloway

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 12:07:11 PM »
Rich,

I figured you wouldn't mind me stealing your post and throwing it up over here ..... I ordered my copy before I could thank you for posting it on the other site! I think I will order the book on Menckhoff as well .... Jasta 30 has always been a favorite of mine , so there was no thinking at all or I would have ordered them together.... funny thing is they didn't charge me postage yet with my pay-pal payment so I'm waiting for a payment request....

Thanks again I had no idea that this book was about to pop up on the market.....

Very Nice Surprise Indeed & Bargain Priced!   

Ken
"Slàinte mhòr agad!"

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 07:42:56 PM »
Hi Ken,
 Do you have an ISBN number for this book? I will try to source a copy over this side of the lake  ;)

vB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline rowan broadbent

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 08:45:59 PM »
Ken,

You beat me to it! That was my post; thanks for adding it here. I came over looking for anything I might find on this site, and was surprised not to find more. I could have had more to say, but didn't want to overwhelm folks on the "other" site with a full review of a WWI subject. I actually just finished reading it last night; will be getting back to it for modeling inspiration many times, I'm sure.

I suppose Rowan wishes he'd waited just a bit longer before releasing his Jasta 30 Pfalz sheet, but look at all of the other colorful subjects he could do now, with a general (not just D.IIIa) Jasta 30 sheet. I'm considering trying to use Fuchs's marking from the Pheon D.V sheet, but putting it in a white oval on a green D.V. Wish the rooster was already in red! Interesting detail about how his crew cut the fox & rooster from thin plywood & he screwed them on the fuselage, then unscrewed them & took them to Jasta 77b when he left!

How cool would a von der Marwitz red & orange D.VII, with the coat of arms, look? (I'm thinking it looks like an early Albatros version.)  And I have to say, August Hartmann's "moi Hexle" Fokker D.VII looks much better in orange and blue than in brown, as in the D.VII Anthology!

Definitely looking forward to the next in the series.

Rich

So right, Rich! Greg VanW had told me that a book was in preparation back in 2010, I think but dig as I might I couldn't find any mention, so I went ahead with the Pfalz's. I did miss off the "greymouse" stripped one, and just as well from the looks of it! Hold back on the chicken and fox  -that will certainly feature on a forthcoming volume II of Jasta 30 markings with a number of others across different aircraft types (including the DFW).

Hi Ken,
 Do you have an ISBN number for this book? I will try to source a copy over this side of the lake  ;)

vB

I was waiting for it to appear here as well but  recently had a reply from Jack Herris to say that it wouldn't be crossing the pond except via mail from Amazon in the US or direct from Aeronaut. The shipping cost is a bit of a pill to swallow but if you buy some others at the same time from Aeronaut, it will sweeten it a little!
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything – that’s how the light gets in

Leonard Cohen

Offline Galloway

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 08:55:11 PM »
Bob here are the ISBN's
ISBN-10: 1935881256
ISBN-13: 978-1935881254

Amazon has it & I imagine B & N also????
How much would shipping be across the pond .... Too bad they don't offer media mail International  :(

Rowan Great! You can sign me up now for Jasta 30 pt. 2  in 1/32 scale .....

Ken
"Slàinte mhòr agad!"

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2014, 10:35:32 PM »
Thanks, Ken.

;)

VB

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Fokker boy

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 08:10:30 AM »
I have two books from this publisher (so far), The Blue Max Airmen, Volumes one and two, and they're excellent indeed.
Kevin

(30 years ago I started off with nothing, and I've still got most of it!)

Offline gcn

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 08:22:11 AM »
Bob the aviation and military bookstore have it for £40 plus £5.50 delivery

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2014, 09:08:33 AM »
I got this book the other day, it's quite good...

Offline James

New book about Jasta 30!
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2014, 09:22:47 AM »
Got this when it came out and I must say that it's one of the best World War Aviation Unit Histories I've ever read.
Axes Grind and Maces Clash