Author Topic: Pfalz D.IIIa 1/48 scale  (Read 2578 times)

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
Re: Pfalz D.IIIa 1/48 scale
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2014, 10:11:25 PM »
Thanks everyone for the kind comments  :)

Bud , you got it . Will get some pic's post of the strutter float plane after work today .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline vincentm

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2014, 08:56:50 PM »
I'm getting crazy about the Pfalz D-III. I'm currently completing the 3 Fw190 models I started as a 'relax time' after my Albatros, and then it'll be time to build a Pfalz D-III. I just can't make up my mind about the color scheme. Believe it or not, I just dreamt of it last night...Since I definitely cannot chose between the aircraft of Hans-Georg von der Marwitz (overal silvergray with orange geometric markings) and this very one...I think I'll make both! 

Offline vincentm

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2014, 09:54:00 AM »
PS: I have one question. How did you chose the color of the rib tapes? d'you have any information about rib tape color on Pfalz fighters?

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2014, 09:40:34 PM »
Hi Vincent ,

For the rib tapes it is going to be either blue for the top , pink for underside or lozenge . Depends on which scheme you chose do to . At the Pfalz Factory there wasn't a set rule and they used what on hand at that time . I'll dig through my refs this weekend for you .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch
Body and life is a vessel we use to travel the planet . Femininity is the gift , The miracle comes from what we do with it .

Offline Vickers

« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2014, 02:13:35 AM »
The blue you used on your Pfalz D.IIIa is just beautiful, Terri. Getting a brightly-colored paint to look natural on a WW1 aircraft often requires more planning and care than meets the eye. Marvelous job all around!
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2014, 04:29:06 AM »
Another excellent model. Your finishes are something to be really proud of - just wish I could get that effect every time. Keep posting more - they really are very good.

Offline mgunns

« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2014, 05:10:01 AM »
Hello Terri:

Great job on the lozenge, preshading and the weathering around the radiator, of course, the rest of the model looks wonderful as well.

Thanks for posting.

Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline vincentm

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2014, 11:02:15 AM »
OK thanks by advance for your searches on the rib tapes, Terri.

The blue you used on your Pfalz D.IIIa is just beautiful, Terri. Getting a brightly-colored paint to look natural on a WW1 aircraft often requires more planning and care than meets the eye
I totally agree, especially when you're planning to build the same bird and would like to get  the same well balanced color. So what kind of paint did you use?

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2014, 09:27:19 AM »
Thanks guy's  ;D

The paints I use are Tamiya , for this build Tamiya X4 plus their brand of thinner and sealed using Testors dull coat in their glass jars thinned and shot through the airbrush . This was sprayed using a Paasche Eagle Talon airbrush . I love this airbrush for the fact that it has great atomization of the paint . Key to this is using lacquer thinner . It breaks down the paint particles better than any other thinner and it's properties are close to water . ( finer the mist , smoother the finish will be ) .

Terri

Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2014, 01:37:00 AM »
Nice Pfalz Terri!

The paints I use are Tamiya , for this build Tamiya X4 plus their brand of thinner . . . Key to this is using lacquer thinner . . .

Just for clarification Terri, you're using Tamiya's proprietary lacquer thinner here? I've been using Home Hardware's lacquer thinner (dirt cheap for a litre) with good results too, but just for fun, maybe I should give the Tamiya brand a trial run.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline Alexis

• Love the self
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2014, 05:11:21 AM »
Hi Chris ,

Yes Tamiya 's brand of Lacquer thinner . I used to use what ever brand the hardware store had/paint store and found that the paints don't stayed mixed for very long causing a few troubles while spraying . I still use the hardware store brand for thinning Humbrol and Testors Model Master paints . Never had an issue with separation . I also use their regular thinner as well X20a .

Give the Tamiya Lacquer thinner a try Chris , one will last me a long time . I don't use it for cleaning the airbrush , store brand works a charm .

Terri
Hurra ! , Ich Leben Noch

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2014, 09:34:07 PM »
What else can one expect from Pfalz Girl?  ;) Lovely, blue, a Pfalz. One can ask for no more!
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline vincentm

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2014, 04:17:34 AM »
Thanks for the explanations Terri. OK for Tam X4. I wouldn't have guessed since the color looks darker in the bottle. I think it took this nice greyish look after you've sprayed the matt varnish.