Author Topic: Short 827 (converted), RNAS Mesopotamia, Ma'Gil, December, 1915  (Read 3348 times)

Offline Old Man

Re: Short 827 (converted), RNAS Mesopotamia, Ma'Gil, December, 1915
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2014, 08:56:17 AM »
Great job OM!  Absolutely fascinating history as well.  Can you tell us the volume and number of the Cross & Cockade article?  Thanks for sharing this wonderful scratch build. :D

Regards,

Bob

Thank you, Sir.

It is the Summer, 1976 issue, of the old U.S. edition. I bought a stack of them some while ago at a used book shop....

Offline Old Man

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2014, 08:57:25 AM »
Excellent work as usual, OM, and thanks again for the historical background which you always supply. It adds a lot to the imagery...

Ian

Thank you, Sir.

I have never been able to tell if I am more interested in the modelling or the history....

Offline Old Man

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2014, 09:00:47 AM »
Spectacular build Old Man, this would have to be one of your best builds to date, the colouring is superb. Thank you also for the wonderful history on this aeroplane, it was very interesting to read.

Des.

Thank you very much, Sir. Means a lot, coming from you. I think I got a little lucky on the finish. Basically I just put various brown washes on and wipe them off or daub them off quickly. I was worried I had got things way too dark while it was just the wings had had the treatment and the fuselage was still white, but it looked better one it was all of a piece.

Offline Old Man

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2014, 09:02:12 AM »
Incredible work as always, OM. I devoured the history lesson. Incredible to think that with +50c temps and a daddy airframe with an underpowered, overheating engine, this thing was able to get off the ground at all, much less provide useful reconnaissance. Thanks very much.

Lindsay

Thank you, Sir.

Operating these was difficult (operating anything there was difficult). On some days, machines could only take off at dawn and dusk.

Offline Old Man

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2014, 09:03:41 AM »
Stunning results! Your build was a pleasure to watch!! I am in AWE of your talent!!!
RAGIII

Thank you, Sir. Glad you like it. This kind of thing is not so hard as people think.

Offline Old Man

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2014, 09:05:34 AM »

Another awesome build Old Man! I really enjoy following your builds. What's next?

Mark

Thank you, Sir!

Next is going to be a Martinsyde S.1 Scout, also scratch-built, from the same campaign, No. 4244, flown by Maj. Reilly, a New Zealander in the Indian Army.

Offline Old Man

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2014, 09:09:40 AM »
OM -

Superb work - I also think your best work so far and nicely set off n your base.

Regards

Dave

Thank you, Sir. I like the base, too. I am getting a little better at making them. I was very fortunate to discover small packages of colored grout in the doll house section of my old hobby-shop; it is a very fine powder, which makes an excellent scale dirt, and I got a variety of browns and greys and tans, which I mix to different over-all shades. Dilute white glue holds the stuff well, and I paint a color approximating the shade on the earth portion of the base before applying it.

Offline Old Man

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2014, 09:13:27 AM »
A wonderful model and a really interesting build. Thanks too for the historical notes, which as always, give that extra dimension to your work. This is a truly stunning model and I wish you the very best of luck in the competition. We have all been winners though because you have shared with us a super model.
PS I too am rapidly coming round to your way of thinking - making your own model is more fun that just building a kit.

Thank you very much, Sir. 

I greatly respect the ingenuity you display in the 'extreme conversions' you do. It takes a similar quality of eye. A lot of this is perceiving the subject as an assemblage of basic shapes, and figuring how to make each of those, and then putting them together, step by step. And of course, if it looks like you can do better, you can always do it again; there is no need to worry about ruining a part you cannot replace....

Offline Old Man

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2014, 09:14:42 AM »
Absolute cracker! Top class scratch building, OldMan. My sincere congratulations.

Thank you very much, Sir. Means a lot, coming from you, whom I consider master of the life-like finish and clean assembly....

Offline Old Man

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2014, 09:17:43 AM »
I also enjoy following your projects Oldman from start to finish  :) Another wonderful build  :)

Terri

Thank you very much, Ma'am!

I am glad you like the build.

Offline Old Man

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2014, 09:18:47 AM »
Hello OM:

Outstanding bit of modeling with a great story.  I have read a little about the occupation of the Mesopotamia area and I enjoyed reading your summary with the model. 

Best

Mark

Thank you, Sir.

It is a fascinating passage of history, and it still leaves traces in today's headlines.

Offline Old Man

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2014, 09:19:13 AM »
Brilliant build and always great to read the history too. Well done!

Tom

Thank you very much, Sir.

Glad you like it.