Author Topic: WnW Fokker D.VII F (501/18 "Red W")  (Read 14699 times)

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
Re: WnW Fokker D.VII F (501/18 "Red W")
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2015, 11:30:17 PM »
You are doing a great job, Chris.  I really like your
wooden floor and the use of the tissue for the wrapped
turnbuckles is an excellent idea.  I look forward to
your next updates as the bits come together.  Well
done, my friend!

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline radio

« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2015, 02:59:57 AM »
Realy great work and paint for the interior.
Martin

Offline Trackpad

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2015, 07:32:47 AM »
Good job, Chris. I just gotta use that hair spray method one of these days!   :D
Cheers!
Gary

"It was an adventure, a great adventure. And, like all great adventures, we never knew where it would lead or how it would end."

Offline BigBlue

« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2015, 03:20:11 PM »
Now where was I?  Ah yes...

First, thank you Rick, Lance, Ernie, Martin & Gary for your kind comments; they are much appreciated.  I thought I'd have an update to share, and therefore would wait to respond until it was ready.... sadly it has taken me longer than I expected.

I have made further progress on the interior, and think I am now ready to assemble the cockpit structure and move towards closing the fuselage up.  I have added the wiring and linkage rod-a-ma-thingies to the throttle and spark levers, and put the sample of interior lozenge from Richard to good use:

The throttle wiring is made from cut aluminum tubing and bits of fine wire.  Other than the C/A glue's random decision to bind or not, there isn't much to tell here.  The linkage rods (I apologize if my terminology is erroneous) are stretched sprue.  I have left the rods long (as you can see) but plan on cutting them back as I assemble the interior.

Moving on to the fuselage walls, I decided that I wanted to allow the both the exterior stripes and the weight table to be visible through the linen.  I started with an undercoat of light gray (rather than white) and slightly darker gray stripes thinking the painted exterior would limit the light transmission through the fabric walls, and thus darken the colors.  Strictly realistic or not, I wanted the black stripes to be perceptible from the inside.  Additionally, I used a bit of earth colored pigment to add some dirt and staining prior to adding a gloss coat.  For the weight table, I scanned the original decal, opened up the image in Photoshop, flipped it, and then lightened the intensity in a somewhat haphazard fashion to simulate the uneven transmission of the paint/ink through the linen. 

My assumption is that the weight table would have been applied at the factory, and I made the leap that it was applied prior to the dope coating, and thus would come through the linen.  Again, accurate or not, I wanted to add a little visual interest.  I printed the modified table on inkjet decal paper, and applied it to the painted fuselage.

The Aviattic interior lozenge was a pleasure to use and I am happy with how the transparency allowed the undercoat and pre-staining to come through.  It could just be my brain playing tricks on me, but I do think that the pigments under the decal are somehow more convincing than the reverse would be.  The thickness of the extra table decal is apparent in certain angles, but happily is not visible when viewed from above, particularly when tucked behind the framing and rigging.  With the framing in place, all of the effects are very subtle, which is good.

That's what I've got for now.  Next step is to assemble the internal structure from the parts that have been waiting patiently on my desk for the last few weeks.  I would love to be spraying paint on the fuselage over the weekend.... well, its a reasonable goal at least.

Thanks for looking in,

Chris

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2015, 10:08:58 PM »
Continuing success, Chris.  It's nice to see how it
should be done!  Superb work, my friend. :D

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2015, 12:43:08 AM »
Chris,
I really like the work you are doing. The pre shading light and dark areas on the interior is awesome. Everything is looking terrific!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline BigBlue

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2015, 01:35:58 AM »
Richard, thank you for the comment and for the lozenge material.  As I said, I am very happy with how they worked for me and will be coming to you for more.

Ernie and Rick, thanks to you both for the kindness.  You have both been very supportive participants in my builds, and I am very appreciative (particularly given the high regard I have for both of your talents!)

Chris

Offline radio

« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2015, 10:29:12 AM »
Very nice update Chris.
Martin

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2015, 11:31:15 AM »
This is coming together really well Chris, I love the seat colour, very rich, and the remainder of the interior is well done. Great work on the throttle lever and quadrant, it is only a tiny part but it now looks excellent.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline BigBlue

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2015, 08:20:22 AM »
Thank you Martin and Des; I sincerely appreciate your comments!

I have progress to share:

Sorry for the large number of pictures, I am probably a bit over excited.  Getting the cockpit structure assembled is always a favorite build stage for me, especially with these WnW kits which offer such eye candy.  I have gone further in adding details like wires and cables on this build than I have on any previous ones, and I wanted to take pictures before it all gets hidden in the fuselage.

The engine is just sitting in the frame to make sure all of the support members dry in proper alignment.  The twisted brass wire sticking through the firewall is supposed to represent the cable connecting to the tachometer, and the two strands of black EZ Line are the bowden trigger cables which will get trimmed and connected to the Spandaus when I am ready to mount them.  I also have I fashioned a pair of synchronizing cables from twisted wire which will also attach to the underside of the machine guns.

I have been a bit fearful of getting the frame together given the horror stories about tolerances.  Time will tell if I managed to get things lined up properly, but I spent an inordinate amount of time trying to ensure that everything is square and true.  The engine mounts were particularly fiddly.  Like I said, I am glad to have reached this stage!

Thanks (as always) for checking in,

Chris

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2015, 09:01:36 AM »
Chris,
Neat, clean, and nicely detailed! Enough said!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline BigBlue

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2015, 09:34:25 AM »
Thank you Rick!

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2015, 03:15:15 PM »
Exceptional work on the cockpit and engine, Chris!  She's destined to be a stunner.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Gisbod

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2015, 06:03:29 PM »
Great job Chris!

Yes, I think everyone finds the engine mounts particularly tricky - I certainly did!

Guy
“Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth -
Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.”

P.O. John Gillespie Magee 1941

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2015, 10:13:34 PM »
I like it very much - i would be happy if i were able to build as cleanly as you do.

Stefan