Author Topic: What Is It About the D.VII That Makes It So Popular?  (Read 3597 times)

Offline Chris Johnson

What Is It About the D.VII That Makes It So Popular?
« on: July 22, 2014, 11:49:22 PM »
The D.VII GB is gaining momentum at a dizzying speed and it makes me wonder what makes the D.VII such a popular aircraft for WWI aviation modellers. I'm of the (admittedly uneducated) opinion that it must be the most popular aircraft for WWI modellers. I'll admit right up front that I don't see the attraction when compared to other German single seaters of the period. It doesn't seem to me to be a terribly graceful design and the rigging is minimal at best. That being the case, does it boil down to the myriad of markings that seem to exist for it?

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline dr 1 ace

Re: What Is It About the D.VII That Makes It So Popular?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2014, 12:38:58 AM »
The D.VII GB is gaining momentum at a dizzying speed....
 and the rigging is minimal at best. That being the case, does it boil down to the myriad of markings that seem to exist for it?

Cheers,
i
Chris

That pretty much hits all the points--- plus a bit of historical significance in that it is the only "weapon" to be specified in a Treaty ending a war to be surrendered entirely to the victors.
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline Kreston

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2014, 12:41:33 AM »
For me it boiled down to minimal rigging for my first foray into WWI aircraft.  I've always loved WWI aircraft and I built the Aurora kits as a kid when they were easy to find at the corner drug store! (Remember those?) I have been painting figures for many, many years, built the occasional AFV, and then was drawn to the WNW kits the more I read about them.  When the DVII's were released I took the plunge and built my first last year (Josef Jacobs' DVII with the God of the North Wind).  It went much smoother than I had anticipated and I only felt compelled to hurl it across the room a couple of times!  After completing the kit, I purchased many more WNW kits that I plan on building.

Now, with the DVII's, the interest is more in the unique markings, the lozenge, and the stories behind them.  I am working on "U10" for the group build and would like to build Degelow's DVII and then attempt one with the lozenge on the fuselage as well as the wings. 
I shall never forget my admiration for that German pilot, who single handed, fought seven of us for ten minutes. I saw him go into a fairly steep dive and so I continued to watch, and then saw the triplane hit the ground and disappear into a thousand fragments...James McCudden

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2014, 12:44:56 AM »
1) It's German.
2) Corollary of 1) Jasta markings are famously colorful, and subject of endless study and argument -- and interest.
3) Much variation within the type during production, thus adding interest
4) Arguably the best fighter of the war
5) interesting postwar history
6) no rigging? maybe

I agree that it can't exactly be called "pretty," but it has kind of a brutal honesty that I find very appealing.

mike in calif

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2014, 01:41:37 AM »
....And, I think that this may be the only Datafile to have a 3 vol. series to document the type. So many subtle nuances in design, and variations in markings. Even the question: What if M. v .Richtofen  had gotten one?
 I have 1 Albie "in the works" and 4 more on the shelf, and 4 of these DVIIs in the stash, plenty of time to detail, and no lack of colorful markings. I think this was the fighter pilots airplane of WWI.

Dekenba

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2014, 01:47:22 AM »
It's got to be a combination of enormous choice of markings, similarly with camo finishes, best-of-type reputation, lack of rigging & simple construction.

The exact antithesis of most British types.

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2014, 01:57:57 AM »
For WWI aviation modelers, I think the popularity increase you spoke of is primarily a result of two factors: one, the Wingnuts Wings release. Eduard had probably the most respected, accurate and easily built D.VIIs in 1:48 a few years back. They didn't set the world on fire. Good models, but they didn't leap off the shelves. The Wingnuts Wings versions are much more detailed and better engineered and include better marking options and decals.

Two: Most experienced WWI modelers have come to terms with rigging. There are, of course, many ways to rig a model airplane and if one has more than a couple WWI aircraft under one's belt, rigging is no longer a serious issue. A pain, sometimes, but not rocket science. The D.VII has little rigging which is a draw for modelers who want to try a well made kit that doesn't require a lot of it. Hence, I think, more modelers are giving WWI modeling a go with the new Wingnut Wings D.VIIs. Being an iconic fighter of the Great War doesn't hurt either.

Outside of the modeling community, I think the most recognized and popular WWI fighter is the all red Dr.1
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 02:13:49 AM »
   I would add that WNW not only produced a beautifully engineered replica, but also made it available in it's four major versions. Although the physical differences are small, the ability to model any of the hundreds of unique schemes is a huge attraction. I predict we haven't nearly seen the end of After Market Products for this beast.
   In my perfect Model World there are very few subjects I hope to model more then once; in this case I've already got three firmly in mind :o and possibly a forth. Bet I'm not alone!?
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Mark

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2014, 02:55:02 AM »
For me, the D.VII was (is) my first WNW kit and my first WWI biplane model. I chose it mainly for the reasons listed above: minimal rigging, the four versions, and a plethora of color schemes. I chose the F model simply because it was the most recent one produced by WNW.  :)

I have since ordered four more bips from WNW and a couple others from Roden and Encore. WNW is in possession of quite the gateway drug!

Mark G

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2014, 03:17:42 AM »
I am definitely in the minority preferring British aircraft over German ( I love rigging ) and of German aircraft, the Fokkers are my least favorite.  That said, as a former airframe and powerplant mechanic, I admire the design of the D.VII as the most advanced fighter of the Great War.  It's lack of rigging a direct result of the brilliant cantilevered wing that was reluctant to shed itself in a high speed dive.  Although I say that I'm not a fan, I've already built two in 1/48 scale and I've got 10 Eduard and Roden kits in the stash, including two post-war MAG kits.  The vast array of schemes is appealing as are the seemingly endless louver configurations.  It's a simple design and my last D.VII was built as a break from some of the more challenging kits I had been working on.  The "N" strut design makes wing attachment relatively easy and the "wing" axle makes for fairly simple undercarriage construction.  Because it has a fabric rear cockpit bulkhead, very little of the fuselage framing has to be represented.  All these things contribute to the fact that the D.VII can be built in less than half the time of a DFW, for example.  JMHO.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline eindecker

• The penultimate word in scale modeling since 1956
    • Models In Scale
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 06:25:31 AM »
As my modeling years progress I 've found that I am more interested in the build experience than in finishing a number of models in a certain time. Now, if it is a subject I really like, especially if it fits my historical interests, I am more satisfied with the ones that take longer to build. This has had a direct impact on my stash. It is being slowly, but relentlessly reduced. Except for those on the shelf of doom, which I intend to get around to someday and fix the screw-ups and finish the models, I'm down to maybe twenty kits, mostly WWI era and earlier.
Michael Scott
Author of "The Q Fragments" http://Http://theqfragments.com & Amazon for paperback and Kindle.

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 07:37:35 AM »
I am definitely in the minority preferring British aircraft over German ( I love rigging ) and of German aircraft, the Fokkers are my least favorite. ...
Cheers,
Bud

The Minority, maybe, but I am proud to be a part of it, too.  8)
D.VII - German, ugly, Fokker, no rigging - for me all the good reasons not to like it.
Yes, I have built one, in 72nd scale from Roden, but that is it. WNW will not make any money from me for their Fokkers  ;)
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 09:06:33 AM »
Good question Chris and the answers certainly show the Major reasons. As for me it is the Color schemes and the fact that it fits into my squadron collection for every Jasta in JG1. Having built 2 WNW DVIIs I could easily, if I could afford the cost, build 6 more! Several are actually available as kit markings or after purchase decals from WNW.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Vickers

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 09:40:58 AM »
You're thinking too much.  Trust me, I've been there too. Just buy the kits and build them.  That's my mantra. Don't ask why, just do it. Like Carl the Greens keeper from Caddyshack, on my death bed I will receive total consciousness.  Until then, I will not ask why.
Bruno: "How many rules are there?"

Willi: "I don't know... none of zem have ever been written down."

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 10:45:13 AM »
One other comment. I have to wonder if Des Had announced an Albatros build if the interest might have been even greater  8)
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler