Author Topic: A few general questions about airfields and supply...  (Read 2492 times)

Offline Squiffy

• Something up with my banter, chaps?
A few general questions about airfields and supply...
« on: July 12, 2014, 11:45:33 PM »
Although I made my hangar as something to photograph my aeroplanes around, I now want to add detail - figures, vehicles, equipment etc.

So, a few questions, if anyone can help. My diorama is allied, particularly British and Commonwealth, but for the sake of interest I'd be happy to hear about the way both sides did things.

How would fuel be transported to the airfields?
By road transport, or would a branch from the nearest WDLR (or Feldbahn in the case of the Germans) be laid?
Was the fuel carried in tins (I know that Jerry cans hadn't been invented yet and I'm not sure the 45 gallon drum had either), or in tankers?

How were the aeroplanes fuelled?
A bowser, hand pump, or just someone climbing up with a can?

Where would the fuel be stored?
In a barbed wire compund, or a building? The same goes for ammunition and bombs.

That's it for now. I'm sure I'll think of something else soon.  :)
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 05:49:11 AM by Squiffy »

Offline Doug Mace

Re: A few general questions about airfields and supply...
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2014, 03:18:29 AM »
Squiffy - I can offer something to your second question about fueling a ship...there's a photo in the Osprey Italian Aces of WWI of an Italian N.17 being gassed up from what appears to be about a 100 gal. tank/barrel situated on a hand-drawn wooden cart with wooden spoke wheels. I imagine it quite possible that there were similar methods in most other air services....also it seems to me that I've seen a such a fuel cart in 1/35 scale offered from some on-line outfit somewhere but I can't find it. Thought I saved it...guess not. Would be an excellent accessory for a diorama, wouldn't it.
"Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes"  -   Oscar Wilde

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2014, 03:32:56 AM »
You mean this cart? Available from Aviattic now in 1/32: www.aviattic.co.uk

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2014, 12:55:49 PM »
Found these two photos on the net which show the type of fuel can used by the RFC. I also believe that the RFC used a hand cart with a barrel sitting upright with a hand pump and hose but I have not found a photo, yet.

Des.

Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2014, 09:50:41 PM »
That RAF ground crew and equipment is by John Jenkins Designs.  The figures are already painted and I can get them for about $35 US each, which is very reasonable considering that they are already painted, and rather well IMHO.  Jekins makes a full range of pre-painted WWI aviation figures including many well-known pilots and also some generics.  They make a German groud crew as well.

Regards,

Bob

Offline Squiffy

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 06:05:27 AM »
Thanks for posting that, Des. The rectangular tins look to be standard petrol tins of the day. I could probably scratch-build some of those for 72nd. Since I posted my question I've found a photo of a Sopwith Triplane being fuelled by nothing more sophisticated than a bloke stood on the wing with one of those cans and a funnel.

Regarding the cart, posted by Bo, it looks to have a 45 gallon drum strapped to it. I wasn't aware they were around so far back and wasn't sure it isn't something conjoured up by the imagination of the modelmaker but I've found a photo of an American Army 60cm light railway yard in France, 1918, that shows several of them. I've got some drums and all I need now are couple of suitable wheels.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 09:18:19 AM »

Here is some information I retrieved from the Aerodrome forum on the subject of fuel logistics during WW1, the info comes from Mike Meech, Bletchley and Dan-San, there is a lot of reading but it contains some good info.

Des.

For a short summery of RFC logistics you could go to the RAF Museum's website and look up the RAF Historical Society's Journal 35 Page 8, where Wg Cdr Larry O'Hara has an article on 'The Early Days'. This is from a Seminar in October 2004. This is a free download. (rafmuseum.org.uk/research/journals.cfm).
The overall view of British logistics can be found in Ian Malcolm Brown's 'British Logistics on the Western Front 1914-1919', Praeger 1998.
From my own research on air support for cavalry I can give some minor details. During the Somme 1916, the document relating to 18 Sqn. (FE.2b) states the load for a G.S. Wagon (horse drawn), which would go forward to support a/c in the advance, as: 148 gallons of Aviation Petrol, 12 gallons of Vacuum B.B. oil and 8 gallons of Castor Oil, all contained in 21 Cases. (presumably wooden cases that contained the oil containers?). By 1917 when 35 Sqn. (FK.8) was the cavalry support sqn. the G.S. Wagon were to carry: 96 gallons of Aviation Petrol, 3 gallons of Vacuum B.B. oil and 1 gallon of Vacuum A oil, all contained in 13 cases. In addition the relevent document states that Cavalry Corps HQ would hold as a mobile reserve; 8 G.S. Wagons containing petrol and oil. This was in case supplies could not be obtained from the railhead.
I hope this is of use.

Mike.

The Allies used a 'Pool' system for motor and aviation fuel in the early-mid part of the war (up to mid or late 1917). The fuel from several of the commercial companies was 'pooled' in the UK and then transported by fuel-tankers across the Channel. It was delivered to a 'canning' centre where cans or drums were filled and distributed to the Front. The different grades of fuel were allocated to different purposes - the lowest grade to Tanks and other heavy vehicles, the middle grade to 'fast staff cars' and the highest grade as aviation fuel. Shell Transport (part of the Anglo-Dutch Shell group) controlled distribution of all motor and aviation fuel, and 100% of aviation fuel was supplied by Shell itself. After the USA entered the war, US motor and aviation fuel was then delivered directly to France in US tankers, and filling stations were established (the first use of fuel pumps, to replace canning).

The Germans used a variety of fuels, including benzol and alcohol blends, but I don't know how it was delivered to the Front units. There must have been a distribution problem towards the end of the war, however, as there was plenty of high quality petroleum entering Germany from the Romanian oilfields from late 1917 onwards, but either it wasn't being refined fast enough or not being delivered forward to the Front in enough quantity, as there were well known shortages of the 'flugbenzin' blended aviation fuels from the Spring or Summer of 1918.

Observations on WWI Petrol Octane

Bletchley

I have now had a look at various RFC/RAF photos of aircraft being refuelled, both during WW1 and in early 1920s. Judging by the size of 'tins' 2 and 4 gallon were in use for refuelling, 1 gallon are also in evidence probably for oil.
The WW2 'Jerry can' (German invention copied by the British and Americans) contained about 5 gallons, I think, for comparison. So all relatively easy to lift and tip into the a/c fuel tanks using a funnel. Although I seem to recall, in my reading of WW1 books, problems of spillage in the cockpits. This would of course soak into fabric and wood causing some obvious problems. Also in evidence in the photos were the packing cases that the tins came in. Two 4 gallon tins to each case I think (probably four 2 gallon tins to each case), so a two man lift. The tins were probably the same as had been used in conjunction with automobiles pre-war and were considered disposable early in the war and in the inter war period. However, during mid to late 1918 there became a problem of supply as in the RAF's 'General Equipment Instructions' there is a statement on 'Empty Oil Tins, Cases & Drums':
"Owing to the present shortage of material necessary for the manufacture of tins and packing cases, it has been found that as many tins and drums as possible be returned to contractors for refilling purposes.
All servicable oil tins, packing cases and drums, are therefore to be returned to the nearest RAF Salvage Depot. In connection with this matter it has been observed that the practice of puncturing the tins has been adopted, evidently to facilitate the flow of oil when emptying but now that the tins are required for refilling this practice must be discontinued, and all possible care taken that the tins are not damaged in anyway. After they are emptied the tin washer, screw top or stopper must be replaced and the tins returned to store.
The O, i/c Central Stores will be responsible for the despatch of the empty oil tins when a convenient quantity has been accumulated."
I hope this is of interest.

Mike

The German supply system for the Luftstreitkräfte on the Western Front was as follows:
Two supply Depots, Nord and Sud.
Armee Flugparke (AFP) 4, 6, 17, 2, 18, (9), 7, 3, 5, C, 19, A and B.
With each Armee Flugpark, there were Tank Stellen within each Armee Korps area, set up between the forward units. There, fuel, oil etc were held for each unit. Each unit would send their fuel truck (lorry) to pick up drums of fuel and containers of oil.
Each field unit had a number of vehicles, one of which was the fuel truck(lorry). Each field had a two wheeled cart that would hold a drum of fuel and it was used to refuel each aircraft along with a fuel hose and a hand pump.
Also there were forward supply units for ammunition, spare parts, clothing or whatever. propellers, wheels, tailskids, things that were required daily. Major items , wings engines, air crew and ground personnel came from the AFP.
Blue skies Johan,

Dan-San
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Squiffy

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 08:26:05 PM »
Thanks, Des.  :)