Author Topic: Differences in scale  (Read 2237 times)

Offline stefanbuss

Differences in scale
« on: April 19, 2014, 04:50:24 PM »
Friends,

whilst preparing ome of my future projects, I found out that my cunning plan to combine an observer from MDC with another one from MArtin Hille's Kellerkind Miniaturen for a small vignette will not work.

The sizes are completely different.

The funny thing is, that Martin has a statement on his webpage that his figures are scale to resemble 175cm - this means that MDC's observer is nearly 2 meters (!), which is a bit optimistic for aircrew...

Surprising, isn't it?

Regards,
Stefan

Offline Alan Roffey

Re: Differences in scale
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 07:02:43 PM »
Yes, I`ve noticed this between Tommy`s War figures and Wings Cockpit figures. Tommy`s despatch rider figure is even taller than the German adjusting his goggles you show in your photo!

Offline Umlaufmotor

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 10:22:49 PM »
I will go Martin Hille's way, Stefan..............

I think 2m body size for an observer is OK.
A larger observer has more overview..................... ;D

Servus
Bertl

Offline Bluesfan

• MW Miniature Work
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 07:08:44 AM »
I've been wondering about this issue as well. It's come up once or twice in reviews of MDC figures in particular, and I must admit it's put me off, which is a shame as they do look nicely detailed and characterful.

Can anyone comment on how well the MDC cockpit figures actually fit, into the kits they're designed for? In particular the S.E.5a and the D.H.2. I'm guessing that where eg. Roden do the same types, they may not fit so well, maybe can't be fitted at all...? I'm saying that simply because they're clearly quite big.

Anyway, MDC do probably need to hold back on the creatine/steroids.

Mark

Online RAGIII

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 11:58:26 AM »
I am Ambiguous on this one. If you Have a Paul Aule(Diminutive is the description), and a Heinz Dreckman you could have a variation in heights as seen. I guess the answer is if scaled up, how many feet tall is the MDC figure? If 6'6,7 or above pretty doubtful. The generally accepted 54 mm for 1/32nd is,I assume an average. If I am looking at things right the MDC figure is 60 plus, so a bit on the tall side to say the least?
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Andi Little

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2014, 03:19:16 PM »
Couldn't you slice him off at the knees and shorten him a couple of mm?

Yep', that's pretty much my intention - he is a bit too tall, it's OK having a variation in height amongst your figures but he does stretch any credibility somewhat. I haven't made plans or anything but based on a cursory glance I intend to take a slice of his boot out ... just below the fur trim where it should be easy (?) to blend it all back together and it still look anatomically correct/believable.
KBO ............. Andi.

Offline stefanbuss

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2014, 04:33:48 PM »
It's not only the MDC guy being somewhat longer, but he really is larger than the other guy - hands and heat are significantly larger as well. Those cannot be shortened easily.

Nevertheless the figure itself is nice. The problem is just that it is so huge that it can't be put to good use together with some other figures, which is a real pity.

Stefan

Offline Andi Little

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2014, 04:48:03 PM »
It's not only the MDC guy being somewhat longer, but he really is larger than the other guy - hands and heat are significantly larger as well. Those cannot be shortened easily.
Stefan

Yes, I'd thought of that .......... the head which is important isn't too bad at all - the hands I can deal with by portraying as gloves.
But as for those feet - that's going to take some thinking about, might be able to nibble them down a bit??

But I'll tackle it one day and probably just put him into long grass or something like that.
KBO ............. Andi.

Offline Alan Roffey

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2014, 07:43:43 PM »
I`ve fitted both the Eindecker and Dh 2 pilots and they go in alright, but getting them to hold the control columns is virtually impossible.

Offline elanlane

• elan13 miniatures
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2014, 07:10:26 AM »
Although it shouldn't be scale is often an issue with figures. For the Elan13 range I go by 1/32 equals 54mm, with some small movement up or down to take different peolple's heights into account.  It is very difficult to 'shorten' figures because it usually puts them out of proportion, unless major surgery is undertaken.

I have sculpted lots of 1/48 figures in the past and size variation is even worse there!
elan13 miniatures
http://elan13.co.uk