Author Topic: lindberg 1/48 pyro repops  (Read 2016 times)

Offline ALBATROS1234

lindberg 1/48 pyro repops
« on: June 04, 2014, 01:38:19 PM »
i was informed today by my local hobby shop that they will be getting by weeks end 4 lindberg 1/48 pre ww1 kits, they told me it will be the bleriot, martin handasyde, deperdussin and avro biplane. they will be around $15 retail so thats good news.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
Re: lindberg 1/48 pyro repops
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 01:58:10 PM »
Fantastic news, Scott!  I've got all those plus the Box Kite and the Avro Triplane, but I could use another Bleriot.  Scale Hobbiest already has them.  http://www.scalehobbyist.com/Model_Aircraft/browse.php?s=0&t=0&pg=1&ppp=48&sb=stocknumber&so=a&era=5&man=LIN
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline KrzysiekK

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 05:27:09 PM »
correct.
I ordered 2 of them from TowerHobby, but anybody can say sth more about quality? I have never tried lindberg before but assume it will be rather decent one  i.e some efford must be done by modeller to prepare quite good replika
regards
K

Offline andonio64

• There's no hurry
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 09:34:51 PM »
The planes themselves are really interesting, but I am a bit unsure about the quality of the molds design and details, anyone there to share info?

Ciao

Antonio

Offline Captain Slower

• Every Dog Has His Day
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 11:43:07 PM »
Didn't these kits originally come from Merit?  Pyro did some neat things back in the day.

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 01:45:06 AM »
These kits were originally from Inpact's (yes, that's how it's spelled) "Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines" series, then Pyro reissued them and later, they were re-released by Life-Like, so they've made the rounds.  They are good kits, but not up to WNW or even Roden or Eduard standards.  The wings and fabric portions of the fuselages have a faux fabric texture which may or may not look good under paint.  Don't know.  Haven't tried them yet.  There are ejector pin marks on wings and other surfaces which will require a little putty, but no big deal there.  The "wire wheels" are clear plastic with deep grooves to represent the spokes.  Those will have to be replaced.  Other than that, the kits are really pretty good.  The molds don't seem to show any sign of wear over the years, but they haven't been enhanced or improved either.  I don't know what, if anything, Lindberg has done to them, but for the price, you can't beat 'em.  Like I said, I'll be ordering another Bleriot to convert to another variant.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 01:35:46 PM »
yeah i have all the pyro versions. like but says theres alot of ejector marks and the fabric effect is a bit overdone, some of the struts and framing might be a tad out of scale and the wheels are best drilled out and use the tire with some photoetch spokes. i built the martin handasyde and got second place right behind a wnw junkers 3 years ago. in 3rd place was my special hobby phonix d.1 which was no slouch either. my point is with some work they can be built into nice models and they are the only 1/48 injection kit for most of the releases. i love bleriot monoplanes so i want a spare of that one which is harder to get than the others. i hope they do the whole series i want another bristol boxkite.

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 12:48:03 AM »
Here, Scott.  If you want to build the original Anzani Bleriot as depicted in the kit, this oughta get your juices going:
http://www.werkost.com/bler.htm
Lindberg announced back in 2011 that they were going to release the Boxkite, so I'm sure it will be along soon.  I think that one is my favorite.
Cheers,
Bud

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 02:06:10 PM »
yeah thats what i like, the war years bleriots with the gnome and the cowls dont look as neat to me. thanks for the link
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 01:29:25 PM by ALBATROS1234 »

Offline jeff shreve

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2014, 02:13:23 AM »
I have good memories of building the Boxkite decades ago. Must have been the LifeLike issue. Had no other experience with multi wing aircraft other than Aurora kits. Know it turned out really nice - even with fuzzy thread for rigging. Been looking forward to doing one of these with much better skills - except eyesite !

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2014, 01:39:04 PM »
got my new bleriot today. the molds are basically the same, injection pin marks in the same places. a few things are improved. the fabric texture is all but gone,almost non existant. the plastic is newer style plastic. the old stuff was slightly translucent brittle stuff. the new stuff reminds me of the plastic in the gaspatch salmson or like the stuff in a newer icm kit, its more pliable and its that golden tan color. the instructions used to be an exploded view now theres 10 separate steps with new artwork.there is no rigging instructions at all not even a drawing of the thing rigged for reference. you got the box cover. on the old release it told you point to point what to rig. so will have to source rigging guide. also worthy of mention they give you a cardboard puzzle and the old black stand is absent. oh yea and also the underside of the cockpit floor has raised writing that will have to be sanded off and the rectangular hole that the stand mounted to is still there. all in all its an improved version of the original.

Offline coyotemagic

• My Models
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2014, 03:09:53 PM »
Scott, on the original, the tail skid is the loop type, but on the new box art, it shows a tail wheel.  Which is it?
Cheers,
Bud

Offline ALBATROS1234

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2014, 02:08:23 PM »
still the loop type like the original, same exact molds with better plastic, and like i said the fabric effect is toned down.

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2014, 04:26:59 PM »
It's great to see the kits of the pre-war aircraft available, this is a much neglected part of our aviation history.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

mike in calif

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2014, 01:18:50 PM »
The local hobby has a couple each of the four kits, at 15.00US apiece. If anyone wants one, PM.