Author Topic: Fokker Streaking. Show your Method  (Read 64050 times)

Offline RAGIII

Fokker Streaking. Show your Method
« on: May 28, 2014, 11:09:52 AM »

I am going to do a little Step by step of my "Favorite" method of replicating the Streaked finish on Fokker built Aircraft. The first pictures will show the basic materials I use. In this case Oils in Cadmium Yellow, Ivory Black, a red to bring the color just slightly into the Olive brown range, a variety of brushes from pointed to fan, and an appropriate acrylic base paint, in this case Polyscale CDL. I also use Testors Airbrush thinner as my thinning agent as it is Hotter than Terps and speeds up the drying time. (It will take me a while to complete the entire post) so please be patient.
RAGIII

Here are the oils and thinner I use.

A variety of brushes: These are inexpensive brushes purchased at a very large retailer for a very low cost!

The subject model is the Revelle 1/72nd Fokker Dr1. The following pictures show the aircraft after basic construction than after the Acrylic CDL base is applied:

I use the acrylic base because the oils and thinner will not affect the underlying coat when applied... More in the next post:

« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 12:58:00 PM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline RAGIII

Re: Fokker Streaking. Show your Method
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 11:29:54 AM »
Now all is ready to apply streaks: The basic technique involves Mixing black and yellow oils to create an Olive Green. depending on your feelings about the color of these streaks add a little red( very little) to adjust to your liking. The more red the more BROWN!

I use a 50/50 mix of the black and yellow, and just a drop of red. Here is what it looks like after mixing:

I begin by applying the oils to the areas that will end up as the darkest streaks. I use a 1/4 or 1/8 flat brush depending on scale:

Next I wet the flat brush and begin pulling it through the pigment in the direction I want the streaks to go. I move from leading to trailing edge and left to right. This spreads out the paint leaving various light and dark areas.

The next steps are using a wider flat brush and removing pigment where you want the lighter cdl showing through, and inevitably adding a little pigment where you remove too much. The oils are forgiving and can be totally removed( At least a couple of times) without damaging your acrylic base. Work WET but not dripping wet  ::)

I then use a wide flat brush to smooth things out. Look at the pictures of your subject to get ideas on where you want the light and dark!

Next a fan brush to begin to smooth things even more.

Last is a big very soft brush as the final smoothing agent. The technique is the same for the fuselage and tail surfaces just pull the oils down vertically on the fuselage sides.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 02:03:15 AM by RAGIII »

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 11:49:02 AM »
The method takes much longer to explain than it does to do. Each wing surface took about 5 to 10 minutes, NOT INCLUDING THE 3 days drying time after  8) Again the oils are very forgiving and give you a lot of time to tweak the streaks to match your subject. I will close my portion with a few more generic pictures.

RAGIII

I hope this helps and of course I would love to see others post their techniques  on this thread: Ed are you out there  ;D

RAGIII
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 02:19:30 AM by RAGIII »

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 12:01:25 PM »
Great post Rick! Thanks for sharing that...

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2014, 12:07:40 PM »
Thank you for the information Rick.  Really helpful stuff, my friend.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline jknaus

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2014, 12:24:11 PM »
Great tutorial. Kind of want to try my hand at the streaking. This gives me an idea how to start.
Thanks
James

Offline Mark

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2014, 12:55:25 PM »
Thanks for posting this! I haven't had the opportunity to try this color scheme yet, but now I know I won't back away from it  :)

Again, thanks!

Mark G.

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2014, 02:03:34 PM »
I've always admired your streaking technique, amigo.  Thanks for this thread.  I'm currently using water based oils for their fast drying time, but I must admit that I like the idea of using Testors thinner with oils.  I'll have to give it a try.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2014, 05:23:02 PM »
Thank you for the tutorial Rick :)  Your streaking looks very effective.  This is the same method I mostly use for woodgraining (with less variation in density of course) so would be happy to give your streaking method a go.

Using oils, are the finished surfaces OK for decals or do you give them a shot of klear or other varnish first?  I guess a coating protects the finished surfaces too?

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2014, 09:35:09 PM »
Thank you for the tutorial Rick :)  Your streaking looks very effective.  This is the same method I mostly use for woodgraining (with less variation in density of course) so would be happy to give your streaking method a go.

Using oils, are the finished surfaces OK for decals or do you give them a shot of klear or other varnish first?  I guess a coating protects the finished surfaces too?

Thanks Guys I hope Modelers continue to find this info useful. As I stated I would also like to see other Methods described here!

Ian, in answer to your question, YES an Acrylic clear gloss is applied as soon as possible after the Oils dry. This not only preps for decals but keeps the oils from wearing away through handling!
RAGIII

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2014, 11:46:21 PM »
A small addition here. I was also able to use XTRA color enamel Gloss German WW1 green using the same basic technique on my build of the Encore Dr1 in 1/32nd. The difference was that I used thinned paint on the lighter areas applied a little more directly then went over with another coat with paint a little less thin. I was still able to remove unwanted paint with a wide flat brush. The working time isn't as forgiving as the oils though. Sorry no in progress tutorial photos but they would be similar to what I posted before. I think it is the GLOSS finish that allows the technique to work as the paint doesn't dry as quickly as flat finishes.
RAGIII

« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 12:09:22 AM by RAGIII »

Offline GrahamB

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2014, 10:39:23 AM »
Nice work.

A Dr.1 is on the stocks at the moment so this will be my big challenge.

Cheers,

GrahamB

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 07:54:45 AM »
Nice work.

A Dr.1 is on the stocks at the moment so this will be my big challenge.

Cheers,

GrahamB

Thanks Graham. I am sure you will have no trouble meeting the painting challenge. Hopefully others will eventually contribute their methods in tutorial form to give us all other options !
RAGIII

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2014, 03:53:09 AM »
Just seen this Rick. You have removed the mystery of how to get the streaky effect at last….. and in God's Own Scale too!!!! This is a MOST useful post - very many thanks for explaining it so clearly and with such good pictures too. I had never considered using oil paints and the variety of artists brushes before - I always feel that the finishes on my models leave something to be desired but as I am not a very good artist I have not been very sure what to do to improve them. In one tutorial you have given me lots of good ideas. Once again very many thanks.

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2014, 11:21:19 AM »
Just seen this Rick. You have removed the mystery of how to get the streaky effect at last….. and in God's Own Scale too!!!! This is a MOST useful post - very many thanks for explaining it so clearly and with such good pictures too. I had never considered using oil paints and the variety of artists brushes before - I always feel that the finishes on my models leave something to be desired but as I am not a very good artist I have not been very sure what to do to improve them. In one tutorial you have given me lots of good ideas. Once again very many thanks.

LM,
Thanks for your feedback. I posted this just for the reasons you state. Streaking isn't all that hard, just takes practice. Along that line before you attack your Fokker, practice on some appropriately prepared sheet styrene or an old kit from the junk pile!
RAGIII