Author Topic: 1/72 scale Revell Sopwith Triplane  (Read 1016 times)

Offline Bolman

1/72 scale Revell Sopwith Triplane
« on: May 27, 2014, 01:45:04 PM »
This particular model was sent to me with the request to paint it in this scheme and not to add the rigging. It is a 1966 vintage kit and surprisingly enough, the decals were good enough to use.
 The entire plane is brush painted using Floquil and Testors enamel paints. 15 coats of white went onto the wings to cover the brown plastic coloring in order for the blue and red to show as their true shade.  The photo is from a digital camera with lighting from a single Ott light.
No modifications were made on this kit other than adding a mounting for use as a game piece.

John
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 11:53:36 AM by Bolman »

Offline Squiffy

• Something up with my banter, chaps?
Re: 1/72 scale Revell Sopwith Triplane
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2014, 06:16:36 PM »
Very nice, John. Is this the Revell kit and is that colour scheme a real historical one, or is it made up?

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2014, 02:16:13 AM »
John,
Nice looking Tripe! One thing about your gaming models I like is you are free to add some color to mostly drab British aircraft!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2014, 02:21:43 AM »
John,
Nice looking Tripe! One thing about your gaming models I like is you are free to add some color to mostly drab British aircraft!
RAGIII
Gotta agree with my amigo, John!  Who knows, maybe a Tripe in a training squadron actually had that scheme. 
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline Bolman

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 12:05:44 PM »
Squiffy, Yes, it is the 1/72 Revell kit, but from the 60s. As far as I know, this is not a historical scheme. But, as Bud pointed out, quite believable as a trainer paint scheme.

Thanks Rick and Bud, always a pleasure to hear from the two of you.

Rick, I enjoy the freedom of painting out of the box from time to time. Love having a historical mixed in as well :)

John
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 04:26:49 AM by Bolman »