Author Topic: A request for Forum donations  (Read 4715 times)

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
A request for Forum donations
« on: March 28, 2022, 09:15:19 AM »
We rely on donations to cover the costs of running our Forum and Des’ website.

It’s been quite some time -in 2019- since we last asked for some help from members, but due to various forthcoming expenses and costs it would be of great help if members could help us now with a donation toward running costs.

The annual forum hosting service fee is due in April and this is literally the fee that keeps the lights on here.

My deepest and sincere thanks go to those members who do support us with regular donations. Without you, this Forum would have closed down some years ago. Your support has kept the Forum live but also Des Delatorre’s reference website which is maintained in his memory.

However while we have a small but highly valued core of loyal and regular financial supporters, the costs of running the forum keep rising.

The Forum hosting fee is a non-negotiable cost. We have tried to run competitions for members but these incur rising international postage costs for prize postage. As a result we have had to stagger the mailouts until we have enough funds to pay the postage.
Forum Rewards has had to go on hold for the same reason.

The reality now is one package mailed to the other side of the world chews up a whole month’s worth of donations.

We would be extremely grateful for any help from members.

If you are able to assist please use the PayPal donation button on the forum site.

Dave Wilson
Forum Owner & Administrator
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Gutzer

Re: A request for Forum donations
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2022, 10:40:55 AM »
Hey Dave

How about having a paid membership scheme like the Britmodeller forums?  You get a few privileges and your profile shows as financially contributing member.  This might encourage users to become paid members, just a thought...
Perth, Western Australia

"One must overcome the inner Schweinehund."  The Baron.

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2022, 11:27:37 AM »
Hi Gutzer

Thanks for your interest. I am not in favour of paid membership schemes for the same reasons I am not a supporter of Patreon ventures- once you start charging a fee, your members expect more for their money and those who don't want to pay will just go elsewhere where it's free.

Our Forum has always been and always will be free to everyone. The only restriction is that you have to register (for free) to post and interact on the boards.

Even if I wanted to charge a paid membership, which I don't, the Forum software is quite old and not able to handle paid vs free members. Upgrading the Forum software ( yes I know it's old and clunky, but so am I) would cost thousands of dollars in IT support and we don't have the funds to even think about that.

What we do have is an amazing world community of modellers with a shared interest in WW1, its aircraft and the golden age of aviation.

I am deeply grateful to those members who regularly donate to the Forum each month and I am deeply grateful again to those members who have so generously responded to the latest request for donations. I will be sending each person a personal thank you for their fantastic support.

The Forum celebrates is 10th anniversary this year and we have reached this milestone thanks to the support of the members.

I'm heartened to see our global family of WW1 modellers is still with us, growing every day and ensuring we can keep the lights on here and working to provide the best possible site for members and our thousands of casual visitors.

My sincere thanks to everyone who has supported the Forum.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia
Owner and Administrator of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Dave W

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2022, 08:27:39 PM »
I would like to send my sincere thanks to those members who have generously donated to the Forum.

The donations received so far are really appreciated as this valued support will help keep the Forum viable as we strive to deliver the best possible website for our community of WW1 modellers.

It's worth noting that April marks the 10th anniversary of the founding of the Forum and I know the late Des Delatorre would be so happy to see his Forum not only continuing but in good health - thanks to the members whose enthusiasm and financial support keeps us viable and able to deliver what is, I believe, a site that is the longest lasting WW1 models Forum website on the Internet.

The Forum was launched in mid April 2012 with less than five members and 10 years later we have a registered membership of 3931 members and rising! Our growth and the continued good heart of the group is all down to you, the Forum members and especially those whose donations enable us to pay the bills and keep the lights on 24/7.

The Forum will always be free but the valued financial support of those members who donate positions us to expand into the next 10 years of our shared modelling adventures. My sincere thanks to those who keep us going.

Dave Wilson
Gold Coast
Australia

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2022, 08:53:04 PM »
Dear Dave,
It is a pleasure and honour to be a part of this group. Let me say great thank you for your efforts, devotion and precious time spent to run this site, and especially for your decision to take the reins at that sad moment when we were orphaned by Des' premature passing.
Happy 10th anniversary and many happy returns, to you, to the moderators' team and to us all who enjoy this place everyday.
PL
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2022, 01:47:40 AM »
Donation has been made, Dave.
Thanks for keeping the lights on.

To those who can afford a couple of $ please consider helping the forum with the ongoing costs. We all benefit from this community and the hard work that goes on behind the scenes.

Cheers!
Bob
 ::) ;) 

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline ermeio

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2022, 02:13:34 AM »
Donation made, Dave,
thanks for mantaining the memory of Des Latorre alive!
er me

Offline DaveB

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2022, 07:29:17 PM »
Hello, Dave -

A donation made

Regards
As we say in fencing, what's the point!