Author Topic: Albatros DIII cockpit interior  (Read 1396 times)

Offline Tom Cobbley

Albatros DIII cockpit interior
« on: May 06, 2014, 06:56:19 PM »
I am looking for information on the DIII cockpit interior (planning an upgrade of the Roden kit). However hard I look on the net there seems very little information out there. Am I missing something or is it just one of those great unknowns?

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: Albatros DIII cockpit interior
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2014, 09:28:57 PM »
If you scour Koloman Mayerhofers very long aerodrome thread ("D.III news") there is a ton of good information along with photos of his immaculate reproductions. Most of the thread is devoted to the OEF version he was building, but there is much info on the OAW and Johannisthal variants as well. Also the CraftLab site has some useful pictures.

Thanks to Jamo we have excellent photos of the D.II and D.Va repro interiors. The D.III is essentially a cross between the two, with the big difference being the arrangement of the lower end of the control column. Remember that they were all designed by the same team in a very short span of time.

There is a nice D.III color cockpit interior illustration in the new-ish Osprey FE 2b/d vs. Albatros Scouts (James F. Miller).

Offline Tom Cobbley

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2014, 11:19:09 PM »
Thank you Bo, the Koloman Mayerhofer link is really useful, I will try out the Osprey tip as soon as I hit my local bookshop.

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 04:37:22 AM »
Tom

Make sure you use his DIII pics and not the DII ones though. There is a big difference in control layout between the two. Roden have it right for the DII and wrong for the DII, so do Eduard.

http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/modules.php?op=modload&name=SquawkBox&file=index&req=viewtopic&topic_id=135236&page=1&ord=1

This is a build I almost finished of the DIII (OAW) Halfway through I was alerted to the fact the control column style was wrong. It might answer a few queries for you Tom. Stealing a DV.a control column would be the easiest option  :D

Keith
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2014, 08:38:20 AM »
Tom: Anything Keith says trumps anything I tell you :)