Author Topic: Propeller type  (Read 1951 times)

Offline vincentm

Propeller type
« on: April 11, 2014, 10:24:16 AM »
I recently noticed that Albatros fighters show 3 prop types, seamingly regardless of a/c model (D-II, D-III, D-V, D-Va). Here are the 3 types I've identified:

Are there more? Is there any relation between the prop type and production batch? does anyone know the prop brands, and logos that should go with each?

Thanks by advance for any help.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Re: Propeller type
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 11:13:21 AM »
Hi Vincent...

You've scratched the surface of a very dense topic.

Albatrossen, like the almost all WWI aircraft, could and would be fitted with a vast variety of propeller types. In Germany there were very many propeller manufacturers, most with distinct styles and also sometimes different performance characteristics. Just to name a few off the top of my head: Garuda, Niendorf, Axial. There were many more. For Albatrosen, at least, prop manufacturer and style was not apparently keyed to production batch or type.

Propellers were a "maintenance item" (like the oil filter in your car is today) -- when it was damaged or even worn it was likely to be replaced.

Like almost everything in the known universe, there is a nutball subculture of wooden prop aficionados. Start your exploration here: http://www.woodenpropeller.com

PS WNW identifies the various props they supply for their WNW Albatros D.V on the sprue and includes correct decals for each...study the instructions online on their site for more info

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 11:29:18 AM »
oh ...  Bottom prop is Axial (google "axial prop logo") , top might be Niendorf?, middle might be Wolff?...

There is a supplier of 1/72 German prop logo decals, somebody here who works in that scale can provide more info I'm sure...

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 07:32:07 PM »
I suggest that you look into the instruction books for Wingnut Wings kits Albatros D.V/D.Va, Pfalz D.III, Pfalz D.XII. There you will find some infos, you may also look at the prop manufacturers decals in the decal sheets for these kits.
All available at the WNW website.
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline vincentm

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 07:44:34 PM »
Thanks for your quick replies and explanations. On the WNW D-V instruction sheet, it seems that 3 propeller types are identified, which match the 3 I could find on period pics. It seems to read Niendorf (1 on my sketch), Wolff (2) and Axial (3). No mention of Garuda and Heine brands though...Does it mean there were actually at least 5 prop suppliers for Albatroses?

I know Kora produces prop logo sheets. Is that the decal brand you were talking about?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 07:50:01 PM by vincentm »

Online PrzemoL

• Przemysław Litewka

Offline vincentm

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 07:52:53 PM »
Thanks! I think I'll be able to get a hand on LF Models sheets.

Online PrzemoL

• Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 07:53:52 PM »
It seems Axial, Niendorf and Wolff were most frequent. I suppose, WNW suggest the propellers for their colour schemes when they could discern the prop type from photos. Generally, you may use any of these three and none will tell you it was wrong. Unless you wish to depict the aircraft at a specific moment of its service, for which you have photo.

Online PrzemoL

• Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 07:54:26 PM »
What kit are you using to build your Albie?

Offline vincentm

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2014, 08:27:18 PM »
I'm building the Roden 1/72 kit. The Wolff and Axial props are both provided, but I have more WWI kits with optional props and Niendorf ones as well (in the case my identification of prop brands is correct). I have the intention to build Bruno Loerzer's D-V and have a couple of time pics. It looks like the prop is a Wolff one. I will soon post my WIP on this kit.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 02:19:02 AM by vincentm »

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 09:14:40 PM »

I know Kora produces prop logo sheets. Is that the decal brand you were talking about?

I honestly don't remember -- I don't build 1/72 so when they were news awhile ago I didn't pay much attention.

PS I think RB is correct, the top prop is a Heine, Niendorfs are a little bit more slender looking, and the contour has straight lines when seen head on. The middle one I'll take his word for, he's more of an expert than I.

Oh, the WS Datafiles 151 & 152 Albatros D.V / D.Va at war have prop drawings included with the aircraft profiles.

Like I said, you've scratched the surface, there is a ton of information out there to explore, and also many vague areas where the information is lost or remains buried. WWI modeling is like that...

Towards the beginning of my long 1/32 Albatros build log I list some references which you may find useful ... I've tried to keep it updated.

Cheers

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2014, 10:32:58 PM »
If you go through all the photos in this topic you will see some excellent examples of the propellers you speak of, plus many others.

http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=1127.0

Doug is very thorough with his research so the propellers you see will be as accurate as possible.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline vincentm

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2014, 02:47:45 AM »
Thanks all.
I took a look at the link you posted, Des (and definitely these wooden props are great work), and realized how much I actually only "scratched the surface": several props are almost look-alikes and I've probably been mistaken when trying to sort out prop types from photos.
Anyway, what is important for me is to put a prop on my model, that looks as close as possible to the one on original pics. Now I'll be summing up my building to the point I've reached, in order to post it here.