Author Topic: Schnucki - WNW Albatros DV  (Read 4219 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: Schnucki - WNW Albatros DV
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2014, 09:33:09 AM »
Stefan, very well done all around! One question. In your explanation on the completed models thread you mention that he took this aircraft with him from Jasta 11. So is it thought that this was the Jasta 11 paint scheme that he used? Would make an interesting addition to my collection.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline stefanbuss

Re: Schnucki - WNW Albatros DV
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2014, 08:47:34 PM »
RAGIII,

this is a quote from Pheon's text (decal set 32037 Albatros DV/Va Vol4):
Oblt Scheffer served as the Adjutant for JaSta 11 from 12 July to 18 December 1917, after which he was posted to take command of FEA6 [...]. The scheme depicted here is largely a result of examining three photographs of Scheffer's unarmed Albatros at FEA6.
The choice for red for the main colour of what was obviously Scheffer's personal aeroplane would seem appropriate, given his time with von Richthofen's JaSta 11; as Adjutant he would have been closely involved with his CO's day to day command activities [...] so [...] red paint would seem natural!
The colours of the tail are more difficult to guess at; yellow would at first seem a good candidate, except that it would be against the unpainted plywood fin (the original Albatros serial is undisturbed) which would have a distinctly yellow tone. White is out, as a direct comparison with the adjacent cross surround shows. Blue shows as a light grey tone in period photographs, and so that was our choice. [...]

I would have preffered red and green as Schnucki's colours, but my wife decided that red and light blue were correct. And who am I to dare contradicting my wife's decisions....

Stefan