Author Topic: WNW DH2  (Read 3109 times)

Offline RAGIII

Re: WNW DH2
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 06:02:36 AM »
Graham,
A Bummer about the boom! At the pace you are working you could have had this one finished in no time :(
Like the others have said, you will find WNW quick to supply a replacement.
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

Offline Graham t

« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2014, 07:11:32 PM »
Re the booms, they were warped before rigging - I hoped the rigging might pull them straight!  I'll cut it off & see what occurs.

Offline Graham t

« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 08:21:59 PM »
Well I removed the monofilament rigging & the boom assembly "relaxed" into a relativeley straight alignment - in truth only the starboard frame was warped off the sprue but when rigged with monofilament, rather than all pulling straight, the port boom followed the starboard!  Anyway the boom is attached & rigged with ezeeline.  This really is a nightmare "cats cradle" but with care & patience I'm relatively happy with how it's turning out.  I'm just awaiting a spare part promised by Justin here then I can complete the aileron rigging unique to this particular machine in the WNW kit.  Then a bit of touching up & she's done, then time for some better pics.

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 08:32:45 PM »
Great that you resolved the problem with booms, Graham. Keep it up!
Just one remark, that connector for rudder/skid control lines connecting two lines coming from the nacelle with three ones running to the rudder and skid should be located behind the strut with the pulley, just over the lower wing trailing edge. But I am afraid it is now too late to correct it :-[
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Graham t

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2014, 10:14:44 PM »
Great that you resolved the problem with booms, Graham. Keep it up!
Just one remark, that connector for rudder/skid control lines connecting two lines coming from the nacelle with three ones running to the rudder and skid should be located behind the strut with the pulley, just over the lower wing trailing edge. But I am afraid it is now too late to correct it :-[

Dear God, I'm not going to go back in there now (I also forgot to rig the caanne struts but doing that now would be like trying to wall paper the hallway through the front door letter box!)  :-\

Online PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2014, 10:18:45 PM »
(I also forgot to rig the caanne struts but doing that now would be like trying to wall paper the hallway through the front door letter box!)  :-\

Well, having built this DH.2 I would not say so hard  ;)  Anyway, I would try to rig the cabane, still. You only need to add four lines, a pair of longish tweezers should do the job. :)
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2014, 11:52:43 PM »
Hello, Graham -

Some builds are full of nothing but frustration - I'm sure we have all been there at some time ............

What about using some 'EZ line' on the cabane struts, as Prez said, you should just be able to get in and rig?

Boom issue and rigging aside, your build is looking good actually.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline mgunns

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2014, 12:11:45 AM »
Hello Graham:

As mentioned, we have all had our frustrating experiences.  You are still further ahead than I am.  Mine is still in the box, and you are doing an impressive bit of work on it as well.  Give the Cabanes a go, and if it isn't working, chalk it up to the learning experience.
Best

Mark
Mark

We few, we happy few.....

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2014, 02:08:13 AM »
I agree with the others, Graham.  Give the cabanes a go.  Just pretend that you're rigging the cabanes on a 1/72 scale SPAD. ;) I know that you'll be much happier with the results if you do.  I'm really glad to see that you've sorted the boom issue.
Cheers,
Bud

Going back and looking at your photos again, I think what I would do, if this were my build, would be to use very light gauge high E guitar string cut to the exact length, with a drop of glue on each end, laid in place with a pair of long tweezers.  Very little likelyhood of colateral damage that way, I think.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 02:56:28 AM by coyotemagic »
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2014, 02:20:42 AM »
Hello Graham,

Despite the problems you had, this turns out to be a lovely a/c. What a terrible rigging-nightmare this would be for me.

Kind regards
Patrick