Author Topic: Santos Dumont Demoiselle 1/48  (Read 5224 times)

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Santos Dumont Demoiselle 1/48
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2014, 11:48:36 PM »
    This is a very fine build of a very difficult subject, Filip. Like most of us you are guilty of being too critical of your own work; we all strive for perfection however few if any will ever achieve that in their own assessments. I didn't build it and I was not there when something didn't go quite right, therefore I see a very impressive and fairly perfect model in these photos. Well done!
Cheers,
Lance

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2014, 01:49:44 AM »
I'll echo everyone else Filip: this is a very fine model! ;D  The wings and tail surfaces look like you have covered a framework with fabric---how did you achieve that effect, and what materials did you use?  Thanks!

Cheers,

Bob

Offline xmald

« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2014, 04:31:27 AM »
Once again thank you very much for your most encouraging words gentlemen!
I'll echo everyone else Filip: this is a very fine model! ;D  The wings and tail surfaces look like you have covered a framework with fabric---how did you achieve that effect, and what materials did you use?  Thanks!

Cheers,

Bob
Bob the wing spars are metal rods, the ribs and other parts are veneer cut to shape. They were covered with tissue and  were coated with cellon. Afterwards i sprayed them with white paint with a few drops of tan.
Best regards
Filip

Offline xmald

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2014, 05:51:54 AM »
And she`s finished... As I am rather less than satisfied with the way this model turned out I`m happy at the same time that I`ve managed to finish  my first scratchbuilding project. A lot of things I would do differently if I had another go on this one...
My model depicts one of many Demoiselles built to Alberto Santos Dumont`s plans.  The design derives from 1909 and is considered to be one of the first ultralight aircraft ever built. Its weight didn`t exceed 140 kilos. There were many different engines used on this plane, I have built mine with Dutheil & Chalmers ,35HP.
It looks crude but I`m still happy to have in my collection.

Best regards
Filip

Offline Epeeman

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2014, 07:35:05 AM »
Filip,

That's lovely - great work.   Reminds me of a book I got as a birthday present - 'Aviation the early years' which is a superb book with some stunning photographs of these old, fragile flying machines.

Regards

Dave
As we say in fencing, what's the point?

Offline radio

« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2014, 08:35:50 AM »
A great build and very nice photos, Filip.
Martin

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2014, 08:42:29 AM »
You have done a superb job Filip, the model looks every part like a real Demoiselle, you have created the true essence of these very early fragile flying machines and depicted quite accurately a very famous aeroplane, congratulations and well done.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline xmald

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2014, 09:02:46 AM »
Thank you very much Dave, Martin and Des! I`m really happy that you like it!
Best regards
Filip

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2014, 09:04:06 AM »
Nice job Filip, I like the overhead photo a lot

Offline dr 1 ace

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2014, 09:18:24 AM »

Great work and pics !!!

Ed
Life is short, enjoy it, nobody gets out alive.

Offline PrzemoL

• There was Eru... and he made first the Ainur...
    • Przemysław Litewka
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2014, 05:43:52 PM »
Filip, you should be proud of it. I would wish to have such a beautiful model as my first scratch (assuming I will ever dare to build a model from scratch...)
Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
Ash nazg thrakatuluk, agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.

Offline Cimmerian

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2014, 06:48:25 PM »
Well done, looks good with the rigging. I've never had the guts to try and scratch build, my Dad was always trying to get me to try but I can't see it ever happening.
Regards, Ken

It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”

Offline lone modeller

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2014, 01:55:18 AM »
As one who has started scratch building in recent months (but in God's Own Scale not 1/48) I say that for a first that is excellent. You have done a brilliant job on the engine, the fabric is realistically transparent and the overall effect of a very fragile machine is fully captured by this model. I like the photos too - in all very many congratulations.
PS. we would all do things differently if we did it again - I thought that that was one of the lessons of modelling!

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2014, 03:06:32 AM »
Truly extraordinary work, Filip!  As Prez said, if I were to ever take on the challenge of scratch-building, I could only hope mine would turn out so fine.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Online lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2014, 03:14:45 AM »
   Really beautiful job and great photography, Filip. Congratulations again on some very fine modelling!
Cheers,
Lance