Author Topic: Making me a heat box  (Read 2828 times)

Offline Tony Haycock

Making me a heat box
« on: May 13, 2012, 04:44:55 PM »
I had seen the section on the website on Des's heatbox and it looked like a good idea. Then when I was out in the garage yesterday I spotted the remnents of the comptuer desk which didn't survive the earthquake but I hadn't quite had the heart to take the final step and take it to the rubbish dump.

Half an hour with a circular saw and the job is almost done. I am quite pleased with my efforts so far, and at least I have been able to make use of a little bit of our 'quake damaged furniture.

I think the next week or so might be a bit nasty work-wise so it mightn't get finished immediately but it is a good start.

Tony 

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Making me a heat box
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 08:25:42 PM »
Good on ya Tony, it's great to see you making good use of disused materials. You will find that you will be using your heat box a lot, not only for drying paints but for keeping the dust off while the paint is drying. You may have to experiment with the size bulb you use, this of course is determined by the size of the box. Good luck with it Tony and I am interested to hear how it works out.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Tony Haycock

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 09:31:24 PM »
Good on ya Tony, it's great to see you making good use of disused materials. You will find that you will be using your heat box a lot, not only for drying paints but for keeping the dust off while the paint is drying. You may have to experiment with the size bulb you use, this of course is determined by the size of the box. Good luck with it Tony and I am interested to hear how it works out.

Des.

Will report back once it is built and in use!

Offline pepperman42

• Sergeant, my brown pants.......
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 03:12:49 AM »
I count my blessings for not being in a quake zone but do admire the "get on with life" approach you guys take there. Just proves this hobby cant be beat!!! Hope work isnt too much of a b**ch either.......

Steve

Offline Tony Haycock

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 12:15:58 PM »
I count my blessings for not being in a quake zone but do admire the "get on with life" approach you guys take there. Just proves this hobby cant be beat!!! Hope work isnt too much of a b**ch either.......

Steve

Not much point in sitting here waiting for the roof to land on my head! I am working on the theory that the place hasn't quite fallen down around me yet so hopefully it won't...

Work has just swallowed my weekend but I can't complain. My work is the sort of thing others dream of so it could be a lot worse.

Offline Whiteknuckles

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 01:44:03 PM »
You up flying with TVAL again taking more photo's Tony?? ;)

Andrew
Eternal Apprentice

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 01:48:18 PM »
  Tony,
I just read of your earthquake tonight my friend. I hope you and your family are safe and sound. From your thread it sounds as if you're making the best of it though and that's the sprite. Not living in what would be normally considered an earthquake zone I can only imagine how frightening they must be.If it's anything like a Hurricane the power of nature must be awesome.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline Tony Haycock

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 06:25:21 PM »
You up flying with TVAL again taking more photo's Tony?? ;)

Andrew
Not this time. Driving a car built from McLaren Can-Am parts and restored by a McLaren Can-Am and Formula One mechanic. then driving the only real AC Cobra in the country. Tough work but someone has to do it...

Offline Tony Haycock

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 06:32:49 PM »
  Tony,
I just read of your earthquake tonight my friend. I hope you and your family are safe and sound. From your thread it sounds as if you're making the best of it though and that's the sprite. Not living in what would be normally considered an earthquake zone I can only imagine how frightening they must be.If it's anything like a Hurricane the power of nature must be awesome.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette

We are fine. Cosmetic damage to the house only so we have been very lucky. The worst damage was all the shelving in the garage fell on the side of my vintage car which didn't do it much good, but it is fixed and all is well now. Shelves are dynabolted to the wall so they won't cause me any more trouble!
The aftershocks are starting to decrease in frequency, if not manitutude. Had a real good one on Saturday which got my attention for a few seconds. The worst thing of course is that there is no warning. One minute you are sitting on the sofa minding your own business. The next second there is a rumbling like thunder and the whole house is shaking.     

Offline Flyjunkie

• wherever You go, there You are...
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012, 03:41:59 PM »
Glad You & Family are doing well Tony, following the Earthquake ..

I live near Los Angeles, so am use to Earthquakes...(well about as use to them as one can be I guess).. I joke that unless it's a 6.o I do not really notice it.. and that seems true. we get quakes everyday but unless they are Big shakers, i never notice them..
I refer to this site, amoungst others, to confirm that yes, California is the most geologically active State in the Union... ::)
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqscanv/

Earth Surfing, such a fine sport... ;D ;)

Dean ~~ 8)
"..Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride.." ~~ Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Tony Haycock

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012, 08:30:32 PM »
Glad You & Family are doing well Tony, following the Earthquake ..

I live near Los Angeles, so am use to Earthquakes...(well about as use to them as one can be I guess).. I joke that unless it's a 6.o I do not really notice it.. and that seems true. we get quakes everyday but unless they are Big shakers, i never notice them..
I refer to this site, amoungst others, to confirm that yes, California is the most geologically active State in the Union... ::)
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqscanv/

Earth Surfing, such a fine sport... ;D ;)

Dean ~~ 8)

Hi Dean.

We have a site like that... http://geonet.org.nz/earthquake/quakes/recent_quakes.html

The problem we have is that while the magnitudes are quite low, the quakes are very close to the surface, and the ground accelleration is quite high. Interestingly (if you can call it that) the first big one we had here was a 7.1 and that did a reasonable amont of damage, but it was the 6.3 which destroyed the centre of the city. Apparently the ground accleration was the highet ever recorded. It certainly got my attention! We had a 4.5 this afternoon and it really got things moving. We have had in ecxess of 20 000 aftershocks and basically it has loosened every building in the district - my house included and the smallest shock now make the whole place seem like it is going to fall over. 

Offline Flyjunkie

• wherever You go, there You are...
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2012, 11:42:26 PM »

Hi Dean.

We have a site like that... http://geonet.org.nz/earthquake/quakes/recent_quakes.html

The problem we have is that while the magnitudes are quite low, the quakes are very close to the surface, and the ground accelleration is quite high. Interestingly (if you can call it that) the first big one we had here was a 7.1 and that did a reasonable amont of damage, but it was the 6.3 which destroyed the centre of the city. Apparently the ground accleration was the highet ever recorded. It certainly got my attention! We had a 4.5 this afternoon and it really got things moving. We have had in ecxess of 20 000 aftershocks and basically it has loosened every building in the district - my house included and the smallest shock now make the whole place seem like it is going to fall over.

Yes Tony that is true.. based on how deep the quake is, what the soil content is, how shallow the bedrock is, etc.. , all these factors change the effects the Quake has. The last Big quake here in L.A. in 1994, I lived in Hollywood on the 3rd. floor of a 4 story apartment building. that 6.7 magnitude Quake tore up soo many areas of Los Angeles.. but because i was living on an Alluvial Fan of the Santa Monica Mtns I did not get as hard of a slam., it seems the fan dissipated the energy somewhat (thought I could not get up and was being thrown back into my Bed repeatedly as the quake rolled thru at 4:15 Am..)..

"..Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride.." ~~ Hunter S. Thompson