Author Topic: Latorre Models British Pilot 54mm  (Read 3987 times)

sixtygp

Latorre Models British Pilot 54mm
« on: January 25, 2014, 02:00:11 PM »
Hello
New member here.  I posted a few times at the Aerodrome a few years ago.  I am primarily a figure modeler, but do have a WNW kit lingering... buy my figure work seems to take the front seat... 
Here is a figure I did a while back.  Its listed as 54mm, but is actually taller, so it probably wouldn't do in a diorama unless you are using forced perspective.  Its painted with acrylics.

Matt Wellhouser

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Latorre Models British Pilot 54mm
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 02:03:55 PM »
Welcome to the forum Matt and what an entrance you have made, that figure painting is amazing, I would love to see more of your work is possible.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2014, 02:17:06 PM »
Matt,
Welcome and it is nice to see such a beautifully painted figure by a Real Figure Painter versus my meager efforts as a sideline to my Models! It seems we are Polar opposites  ;D  Any tips you can give here are really welcomed. Please feel free to constructively  critique any figures I have posted and have underway. I know all of the other Aircraft builders will appreciate any help we can get!
RAGIII

PS: Do you use similar methods to dave Maddox, airbrush base, shadow and highlight, then glazes?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 02:41:46 PM by RAGIII »
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler

sixtygp

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2014, 04:22:24 PM »
Thanks for the nice comments.  To answer the questions-
On figures this small, I only prime them with the airbrush.  The color is brush work.  On large figures- 120mm+ I sometimes use the air brush for some of the color. 
To see more of my figure work, check my web page. 
http://custmini.blogspot.com/

Here is the one and only WW1 dio I did-  I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Figure painting tips-  for acrylics- keep the paint thin, use glazes and practice. Good brushes are a must- Raphael 8404 or Winsor Newton Series 7.   If you google "Planet Figure" you can check out the work of some of the best painters ans sculptors-  its a forum much like this one. 

Matt

Offline IFF1418

« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 06:08:22 PM »
Welcome Matt! This is such a hign class work. Really very very nice. And Rick, you shouldn't be so modest about your work, which is magnificent too. You are all great artists.

Kind regards
Patrick

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2014, 06:50:22 PM »
Hello Matt and welcome.

What lovely work!  I look forward to seeing what else you come up with.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2014, 12:27:15 AM »
  Matt,
Outstanding work on your British pilot figure my friend. He sure would look great standing in front of a DH-2. I agree he does appear a little bit tall for 54mm.Perhaps you could still use him in a diarama as a taller than average pilot. Maybe it's just me but he has American Indian features to my eyes as well. All and all first class craftsmanship!
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2014, 05:34:36 AM »
Truly magnificent work, Matt!  What a way to introduce yourself! 
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2014, 06:56:42 AM »
   Beautiful work, Matt, and the Diorama is very well done. Your Pilot bears some resemblance to Mannock possibly?
   Welcome aboard the Site, and I'm looking forward to your contributions.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Andi Little

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2014, 08:47:03 PM »
Sorry bloke! ... You can't just plonk those photo's here, accept accolades, and then disappear. We (I) really need to know how you did this??
Especially working in Acrylics, I personally find them so hard to blend, glazes look just like a thin dirty wash and even with blending mediums at hand it seems more like alchemy than technique.

So, I would most definitely appreciate a few "Step By Step's" ... especially as I have a couple of figures in the offing.

Oh, they're pretty good by the way - smiling.
KBO ............. Andi.

Offline blubasso

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 09:55:32 PM »
It's just me or the face of your (beautifully coloured) "british" pilot looks like an American Native one?

Anyway, your aviator is amazing, you have really a very good hand...   :)
If it's made from wood and canvas and flies, it's my friend. And the friends of my friend are my friends too

Offline rhallinger

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 11:19:25 PM »
Absolutely beautiful work Matt!  Fantastic diorama as well.  I hope you will share more of your work here, and help educate those of us who are neophytes when it comes to figures.  ;D

I agree with Lance.  There is a resemblance in the face to certain pictures of Mannock.  Someone makes a figure of him in 54mm, but I can't remember who, and I've never seen it.  There is also a certain Native American aspect to the features.

Regards,

Bob

Offline GAJouette

• " Beware of the Spanish Inquisition"
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 11:30:13 PM »
  Ever since I first saw Matt's outstanding figure I can't help but think the face looks very familiar to me. It bothered me to the point I did a little research. Now I know why the face looked so very familiar. The face very much resembles Jim Thorpe Native American 1912 Olympic runner and professional Baseball and Football player. Maybe the scuptor is a sports fan?
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
" What Me Worry"

sixtygp

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 04:18:56 PM »
Thanks for the welcome and compliments.  Here is a pretty good tutorial on painting with acrylics.  Note that these techniques work with all acrylics. 
http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/en_US/painting-figures-with-model-color/blog/1/36

Matt

Offline RAGIII

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2014, 11:48:49 PM »
Matt,
Thanks for posting the tutorial!
RAGIII
"A man has to know his limitations": Harry Callahan

"Don't slop it on" Lynda Geisler