Author Topic: Has anyone used Klear Kote?  (Read 7512 times)

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
Re: Has anyone used Klear Kote?
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 10:57:43 PM »
   Thanks Guys, I'll be watching closely for more results/info. I'll also run a "test program" with the Alclad Products over the next week or so. Like FF I got a supply of the various finishes and thought they would be the ultimate; now I'll need to assure myself of their performance before using them on a completed model. :-\
Cheers,
Lance

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2014, 01:13:20 AM »
Here's my test subject alluded to earlier.

The finish feels dry, but per the problems reported above, I subjected it to some much more intense handling than I would normally. For starters, I held it tightly like this for two minutes (I could feel the plastic get warmer):

Then I rubbed that area vigorously with my sweaty fingers. No effect. Next I polished the area with 5 levels of micro mesh, up to 1200 12000, where it started to achieve a slight gloss. No sign of the nasty problems reported.

Finally I applied IPA to the area - that did attack the finish, but I suspect it is because it got through to the underlying Future layer.
Once the IPA evaporated the finish, though marred, was hard again.

Observations: the finish appeared to be fully cured after 1 hour. Therefore, based on the reports above, if your finish isn't curing nearly immediately, it probably never will.

I am going to keep on using this stuff -- it really does deliver a excellent, smooth, super thin finish -- but I will be wary of it as well...

« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 02:26:50 AM by Bo Monroe »

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2014, 01:25:25 AM »
   Thanks for your efforts, Bo. I'll try your approach (after a test run on the actual containers I have) If things go "sideways" I'll let you all know.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2014, 02:28:31 AM »
   Thanks for your efforts, Bo. I'll try your approach (after a test run on the actual containers I have) If things go "sideways" I'll let you all know.
Cheers,
Lance

Thanks from me too, Bo.  Very helpful information.

Cheers,
Ernie :)
The new old guy, take two...

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2014, 07:53:40 AM »
This is all very useful information so I am going to make this a sticky topic.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline IanF

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2014, 08:24:04 AM »
I only used Klear Cote once. Never again, I don't know if I did something wrong, but I just did not get on with it.
I find that a layer of Johnsons Clear to allow the decals to attach, then when dry and clean, a layer of Microsol /Flat/Satin/Gloss mixed as appropriate for the finish you want works well....

Offline Rob Hart

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2014, 06:56:10 AM »
Ian,

Can you provide any specifics on why the Klear Kote failed for you? I'm interested in trying to find anything in common with the results and applications of those of us who didn't have any luck with the product. Thanks. 

I have mixed feelings about whether I want to spend the time and effort in trying to isolate what might have caused the poor results me, Andi, and now, you obtained or if I should just cut my losses and move on. I admit to being frustrated when a product works perfectly for other people and not for me.

Offline petrov27

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2014, 12:37:17 PM »
I have to add to the chorus of those that tried Klear Kote - I used it right out of the bottle, it went on fantastic over acrylics and looked great, yet it never seemed to cure hard. Showed prints and marks super easy.

Not sure what I did wrong but it was a mess so I moved on to try the Model Master lacquer clears....
-Patrick

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2014, 12:15:02 AM »
   As promised earlier here I tried the Alclad II Klear Kote Semi Matte product on some test pieces yesterday. I normally airbrush at 22-25 psi but per the instructions cranked it down to about 18 psi and used the product direct from the bottle. I had prepared some old parts with Model Master enamel, Future, and decals in various stages to mirror my present build.
    Although the instructions say a second coat can be applied after ten minutes I waited about two hours. After the second coat I left the pieces overnight, total approx. 16 hours until I got back to them this morning. Results are really great, appears totally dry and tack free, beautiful semi gloss finish with no air bubbles nor running or staining, decals are fine as are the portions pre-brushed with future and the "raw" enamel surfaces.
   I'm wondering if we are experiencing a quality control issue with this stuff; there is just no reason for the vast difference we are experiencing in results?? For certain, once this bottle is gone I'll be testing the next one before using it on a model I've put a lot of time into! For now I'll be using it on my Pfalz Build, it appears to be a great product.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2014, 03:25:39 AM »
I'm thinking it has to be QC issues as well, as the stuff seems pretty much totally idiot proof to me. I just tried some semi matte from a fresh bottle this a.m. and it worked perfectly. I have two other unopened bottles of various sheens which I will try next.

A pity we have to look at this stuff a bit sideways because it really is a great product when it works...

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2014, 03:33:47 AM »
I'm thinking it has to be QC issues as well, as the stuff seems pretty much totally idiot proof to me. I just tried some semi matte from a fresh bottle this a.m. and it worked perfectly. I have two other unopened bottles of various sheens which I will try next.

A pity we have to look at this stuff a bit sideways because it really is a great product when it works...

Bo,
   Like you I have more of the stuff that I have not tried, a second Semi Matte, a full Matte or flat, and a Gloss. Please let us know how the other finishes work. Regardless of the outcome of your next tests it seems prudent to try each new bottle on a throw-away piece rather then find out the hard way that quality is not consistent! :o
Cheers,
Lance

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2014, 04:03:39 AM »
Regardless of the outcome of your next tests it seems prudent to try each new bottle on a throw-away piece rather then find out the hard way that quality is not consistent! :o

You're right, that is certainly prudent, but I decided to hell with it and sprayed the new unopened & untested stuff right smack dab on a real piece (the lower right aileron as it happens). Courage of one's convictions and all that. :)

Offline LindsayT

• "Somehow it didn't seem like war at all..."
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2014, 04:12:25 AM »
Lance, what was your (western) Canadian supplier for the entire Klear Kote line? If you got it internationally, did customs get pissy with shipping like they can with some paints?

Thanks,

LT

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2014, 08:11:56 AM »
Lance, what was your (western) Canadian supplier for the entire Klear Kote line? If you got it internationally, did customs get pissy with shipping like they can with some paints?

Thanks,

LT

Lindsay,
I have yet to find anyone out of country that will ship liquids, especially paints etc. I was able to get a few bottles of Mr. Kit paints I wanted to try out from, I think, Ultracast in Canada but no one else will ship paints. By coincidence I received a call from Comex Hobbys in Edmonton today saying my Mr. Metal Colour paint had arrived but, unfortunately the gent who had promised to mail it was incorrect and I'd have to come and get it, a four hour trip to downtown Edmonton!
   For people in our end of the fair country there are two sources for the Alclad Line in Edmonton, Kites and other Delights in the South Common Mall and Great Hobbies on 75th Street.
Cheers,
Lance

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2014, 10:13:50 AM »
All acrylic paints can be posted airmail within Australia, enamel and lacquer paints can also be posted but they have to travel by road. The last lot of 'explosive' paints were sent to me from Melbourne by road, it took the same time as products that come by air, makes me wonder sometimes.....

I have yet to try the Alclad clear (klear) but with what has been said here it seems like a feasible proposition, I checked with my supplier last night and he has plenty of stock, is there much difference between the light sheen and the semi matte? which one do you use Lance.

Des.

Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com