Author Topic: Spar inspection window on Albatros D.V /D.Va  (Read 1344 times)

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
Spar inspection window on Albatros D.V /D.Va
« on: December 23, 2013, 12:58:43 AM »
This photo by Jamo reveals an interesting feature: a celluloid window over the lower wing spar where the inspection stamp would be.

However, I have scoured period photos and this detail is pretty elusive. I think I found one photo where you might be able to make this out. Can anyone shed any info? It's a cool little detail I'm tempted to add, but if it is merely a figment of TVALs imagination, maybe not...

Offline Hannover

Re: Spar inspection window on Albatros D.V /D.Va
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2013, 02:25:30 AM »
It may be a modern safety feature? So as TVAL can inspect the spars and comply with NZ aircraft construction requirements. Just a thought!

P

Offline coyotemagic

• "Here's to not buggering it up." -Winston Chuchill
    • My Models
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2013, 04:00:35 AM »
Seems an odd place for a spar inspection panel, unless it's a 3 piece spar and the center section connects to the outboard section at that location.  I would've thought it would be more inboard.  Huh.  I'll take a look at my NASM Albatros book and see if I can find anything.
Cheers,
Bud
"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream in the dark recesses of the night awake in the day to find all was vanity. But the dreamers of day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, and make it possible." -T. E. Lawrence

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2013, 05:29:06 AM »
here's the period photo (courtesy WNW site) that appeared to me to maybe show the inspection hole but after further review, maybe not -- it's not in the same place as TVALs if it is:

@Bud, I have the NASM book, I couldn't find anything except images of the inspection stamp. Somewhere in the dark recesses of my memory I seem to recall that the purpose of the window was to reveal the inspection STAMP (not any particular defect of the spar). Sounds crazy, so maybe it is.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2013, 05:46:54 AM »
is is visible in this picture??? I see a lighter colored rectangle in between the 2nd & 3rd rib about where the spar should be that doesn't seem explained by the liz pattern ... do you see it? (click to enlarge)

Offline Jamo

• Wellington, NZ
    • My Smugmug album
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2013, 06:17:05 AM »
TVAL had full access to the original restored DV at the Australian War Memorial Museum at Canberra, including a complete digital scan. I would be very confident about this detail being correct
Happy Modelling
James Fahey

Check out my massive photo collection here: https://jamesfahey.smugmug.com/

Offline kornbeef

• U.K. Carpet monster genocide squad leader.
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2013, 09:30:41 AM »
Those panels were on period A/C maybe some had recovered wings, looking at other images, you can often distinguish it now you know what and where to look. Sometimes quite faint, possibly because the TVAL one is edged with leather, production costs & material shortages may have meant it being reinforced with offcuts of fabric instead?

Theres one on the upper wing on the underside  behind the radiator too.  Albie at war vol 1 page 8 image 27 shows it well

And or maybe different Albie manufacturers placed them differently? Like Dataplates etc.

Keith
« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 09:36:25 AM by kornbeef »
Never too old to learn sumfink noo

Offline WillScarlet

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 09:45:55 AM »
 Bo, your last picture at least shows it to be in the same place TVAL has it. (looks to me)

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 10:07:56 AM »
Thanks guys. Photo c3 on page 39 of WSDF 151 Alb DV/DVa at War shows the windows quite clearly, raised edges and all. (Duh). Thanks Bertl for the pm pointing this out to me...

Offline Hannover

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 09:58:39 PM »
Well you learn something new every day!

p