Author Topic: Any users of "Vallejo" "Model Air" paints on the board??.........  (Read 882 times)

Offline olfogey

• Jim J. -- "Great Plains", U.S.A.
.......if so, I'd like to hear any tips or tricks that you may have to mix the paints. (??)
Thanks..........Jim J. -- "olfogey"

Offline Carpo

• A gallery of my Models
Re: Any users of "Vallejo" "Model Air" paints on the board??.........
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2013, 03:59:02 PM »
Use an ammonia based cleaner (I use windex) to clean up your air brush - isopropyl or metho just won't do the job.
Cheers,
Carpo
The air force will always need technicians because pilots need heroes too.

Offline bobs_buckles

• Freedom isn't free.
    • Bobs Buckles
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2013, 04:43:04 PM »
Hi Jim,
 Model Air paint is designed to be used out of the bottle with little or no thinner.

Below is a link to a thread I posted on here on the subject of mixing paint for the airbrush.
I hope it helps.
Cheers,
VB

http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=2378.msg38244#msg38244

https://www.bobsbuckles.co.uk/

Last Minute Man Of Faith

Offline Cimmerian

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2013, 05:30:54 PM »
I use it, but I still put it on with a hairy stick. Haven't got the courage up to try the airbrush yet. :-[
Regards, Ken

It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it.”

Offline Ernie

• "Once more into the breach"
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 06:36:30 PM »
Jim, I use Vallejo quite a bit and really like it.  The best for airbrushing is the ModelAir line,
with the black caps.  They are supposed to be able to airbrush right out of the bottle,
but I still thin them just a little with either water or Tamiya X20a thinner.  Not much is required.
One little trick, drop a stainless steel nut in the bottle...it helps a lot making sure you have it
all mixed well before using it.
The Model Color line really does need thinning...I think it is basically for figure painting,
but with thinning I airbrushed it with good results. Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Ernie :)

The new old guy, take two...

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 07:03:57 PM »
Hello Jim

When I've used the Model Air line with the airbrush I always thin them

I also use them quite a bit when brush painting small parts that have already been under coated - cockpit parts for example.

Sometimes, I'll use them with a broad square brush for larger surfaces, again over something previously under coated - like the inside of a clear dope linen covered fuselage. I've even used them, well watered down, as a form of wash over certain external surfaces to change a colour subtly. Of course, the real problem with this is pooling, although sometimes even that can be used to your advantage.

Best wishes
Nigel