Author Topic: "WnW" model painting "how to" (??)  (Read 1928 times)

Offline olfogey

• Jim J. -- "Great Plains", U.S.A.
"WnW" model painting "how to" (??)
« on: December 17, 2013, 04:19:45 AM »
Not sure how to ask this??...........but here goes - I'm looking for a *basic* "step by step" guide as to how to paint a "WnW" model.
Don't need an in-depth guide, just "paint inside of fuselage", then................( for example ).

I am starting out on my first kit ( The "Fokker D. VII F" ), and the instructions, though concise, rely a bit too much on symbols to suit me - (confusing).

Thanks for any help  :)...........Jim J. -- "olfogey"

Offline Ian from Doncaster

Re: "WnW" model painting "how to" (??)
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2013, 05:12:12 AM »
You can really paint how you like.  If you have modelling experience in different genres, then you'll have developed your own techniques.  Clearly the interiors need to be painted before closing up, and it is also much easier to paint components individually.  Remember though, WNW kits are so well engineered that joining surfaces etc need to be left paint free (or very thin) due to the very close tolerances - it is good practice IMHO to dry fit the components before painting to see where the critical tolerances are.

Also bear in mind how much of the interior will be visible - some modellers will detail and paint their interiors to the same standards as the exteriors, even if the interiors will for the majority remain unseen.

WNW does however provide high quality coloured 3-d drawings of cockpit assemblies, and engines, in addition to the step by step instructions, which give an excellent visual representation of the interior painting.

I would also recommend visiting the build logs on here - these freely-shared logs really do enhance the already great instructions from WNW, plus you'll get additional tips and what to do/what not to do guidance from others' experiences.

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2013, 05:36:07 AM »
(Heh, pretty much same answer as Ian... he beat me to it... but FWIW):

Hey Jim,

That's an interesting question. I think you will get as many answers as there are builders; there are really no right and wrong ways and much depends on the techniques and materials you are using (for example, airbrushing, vs. brushes, enamels vs. acrylics).

I think if you peruse some of the more detailed build logs you'll get some clues. For the D.VII, Ivo's log has a lot to offer:

http://forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com/index.php?topic=1288.0

(Ivo likes to paint everything while still on the sprues.)

Some thoughts:

-- parts should be clean before painting. I wash everything with dish soap (Dawn) and usually further scrub with isopropyl before paint goes on.

-- With WNW kits especially, note how parts fit together and keep paint away from mating surfaces, tabs, slots, etc -- the tolerances are insanely tight. Use masking tape or masking fluid to achieve this.

There are at least two schools of thought when it comes to subassemblies and painting. One camp likes to build as much of the subassembly as possible before painting -- like the entire cockpit insert or the entire engine. The obvious benefit to this approach is the larger subassembly is easier to handle physically and you don't have to worry as much about paint fouling fit and adhesion.

I instead prefer painting most small parts individually, for a bunch of reasons, partly because I think it is easier to deal with the nooks and crannies, and also because I want to keep my (simulated) materials distinct, and thus its easier for me. I make little mounts for almost everything I paint, usually by drilling a small hole with a .3mm drill bit and mounting it on a wire or even a drill bit. You'll see lots of people simply leaving the part on a section of sprue, once finished all they have to do is snip it off and touch up.

In short, I think this is one area where you'll want to develop your own approach based on what makes sense to you. I will stress again to carefully study and test fit pieces where ever there is any question how they go together so that they still go together after you've painted them.

HTH,

--Bo
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 05:40:22 AM by Bo Monroe »

Offline olfogey

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 09:22:25 AM »
"Bo" & "Ian" -- Thank you both for your suggestions.........the link to Ivo's build log was VERY helpful!!
Is there a way to "search" those out??

Jim J. -- "olfogey"

Offline olfogey

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2013, 09:29:57 AM »
Search button, top right hand corner of the screen :)

That's obvious...........but do you just list the plane type, or "build log", or???
That was more the point of my question, I know HOW to search, just not always the correct terms to use  :o
Jim J. -- "olfogey"

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2013, 01:47:27 PM »
Jim, every modeler approaches their build in a different and unique way, we have all developed out own techniques on building and painting over many years of modeling, so to put a finger on just one particular way to paint a model would be very difficult. The numerous build logs on the forum give a really good indication on how each modeler tackles his/her build and painting, but if you want to look at just one modeler please go to my website and look at my build logs, they give a step by step easy to follow tutorial on many of the WnW and Roden kits. Bear in mind though that this is the way I do my modeling, it varies from what other do but the end results are pretty much the same.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Ian from Doncaster

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2013, 06:08:50 PM »
Also Jim, if you follow Des' builds you can't go wrong as he is a modeller of exceptionally high standards.

Offline Chris Johnson

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2013, 11:55:48 PM »
Being a fairly recent convert to aircraft modelling myself Jim, it seemed to me that as a general rule of thumb, just about everything needs to be pre-painted before assembly, with the exception of the outside of the fuselage which gets airbrushed after it's glued together. I always start with the cockpit interior and work my way out from there.

Cheers,

Chris
You can have it good; You can have it fast; you can have it cheap. Pick any two, but all three are impossible.

Offline lcarroll

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 01:35:15 AM »
Being a fairly recent convert to aircraft modelling myself Jim, it seemed to me that as a general rule of thumb, just about everything needs to be pre-painted before assembly, with the exception of the outside of the fuselage which gets airbrushed after it's glued together. I always start with the cockpit interior and work my way out from there.

Cheers,

Chris

Jim,
   Chris brings out what I believe are two very important steps in the process; painting everything possible before assembly and working "from the inside out". I also tend to use a modular approach doing the engine, guns, landing gear etc. as almost separate builds within the build process as it were, so that when final assembly is done it's mating of all the various modules as opposed to adding bits and pieces. I'll have several separate components under construction at once which, if nothing else, gives me the flexibility to leave a section to cure or dry while still progressing on the overall Build. I find that most times I get into trouble or don't get the results I want are when I rush along without letting things dry or pausing to check the references or fit or to think out or plan on the next step. Pre-planning is often the key and one of our modellers, Kornbeef, is an expert in this regard. His Build Threads are full of examples where he has thought out and worked ahead on a step in the Build. An example of what most of us use is what I term the "pre-rigging" phase, where lines, loops, and buckles are attached to the finished upper wing before it's added to the model, lines even partially painted, so that it's much easier to complete when your work area isn't limited to the inch or so between the wings!
   You'll quickly develop your own "system" within a build or two; above all else have fun and enjoy the process and the results of your efforts. Like many have said here, take an hour or so to scan some of the Threads and see the sequence others use. That's the beauty of this Site, the sharing of information which, IMHO, is done ten times better here then on all the other Sites.
   Hope this helps or at least gives you some food for thought. :)
Cheers,
Lance

Offline olfogey

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 02:35:37 AM »
That I think, has given me the advice I need. Thanks guys.............three important things I picked up  :)
(plan, reference sources, and fitting tolerances).
Modular, careful construction it is  ;D ;D ;D ;D

My "Fokker" will now be done in 2015 (lol) Which is good for me, sometimes patience is an issue, and this will be good for me to approach this way. Small creative steps, and then walk away if issues.

Thanks for the support and advice.......it's great!!  Jim J. -- "olfogey"