Author Topic: Is it worth too much to build?  (Read 1132 times)

Offline Nanks

Is it worth too much to build?
« on: December 14, 2013, 06:33:38 PM »
Hi guys;

I just picked up the "Early Birds" kit from Entex, its still in its original wrapping and includes in 1/72 a Voison-Farman 1908, An Antoinette 1908, and a DeHavilland 1 1910. I was thinking this would be quite a challenge to build but with the shrinkwrap it my be one of those rare as hens teeth kits that hardcore collectors would crucify me for opening. Opinions?
"Get a shot off fast, this upsets him long enough to get your second shot perfect" Lazarus Long

Offline Des

• Administrator
    • ww1aircraftmodels.com
Re: Is it worth too much to build?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2013, 06:42:06 PM »
These kits were made back in the 60's and being such are very crude, a lot of work would be required by the builder to make a reasonable model. If your set is kit No. 8448 one sold on ebay just recently for $25.00US, so it will be entirely up to you whether to build or to sell. I imagine there would be collectors out there wanting these old kits but it depends on what they are willing to pay for them.

Des.
Late Founder of ww1aircraftmodels.com and forum.ww1aircraftmodels.com

Offline Nigel Jackson

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2013, 09:21:10 PM »
Hello Nanks

That's a real dilemma and, while we might all have views, it's one that you alone can resolve.

My take can only reflect my views, but it would be this. I engage in modelling aircraft of this era for the enjoyment (and via this forum) the friendship it brings me. In doing so there are highs and lows. Sometimes models can plunge me to the depths of despair; other times I can feel really happy with something I've achieved. Now, these models are, by Des's account, very crude and require a lot of work. Building them could bring tears of frustration, but I would find the possibility of producing something reasonable from them a high. If I did not try, I would not know.

So, I would give them a go, no doubt cursing the decision from the moment I break open the packaging, but looking for a learning experience from the challenge.

But, of course, that's just my take and I haven't laid out the cash on them as you have.

Best wishes
Nigel

Offline IanB

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 12:17:50 AM »
My personal view is that it is a kit, made to be built. As such it should be built, not collected! I have a Meikraft Caproni Ca3 in its original mailing box from Meikraft to the original buyer, which WILL be built! I've seen those go for well over $100 US (there's one on e-bay now) although I  only paid about $50.

Ian

Offline sobrien

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 12:40:00 AM »
Ian is right. Kits are made to be built. That's why my stash is only about 30 kits. I don't buy what I don't intend to build. But thank god for the collectors, because sometimes they weed out some kits and I get a chance to buy something that is OOP. I would go ahead and build them Nanks. I always wish I'd bought that Entex set. They were repops of the Renwal kits.

Sean

Offline uncletony

• Aircraft In Pixels
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 02:14:47 AM »
Nanks:  you are addressing the question to the wrong crowd. This is a primarily a builders forum, the answers will be thusly biased. I sense their are a few collector-lurkers here, but I think you should probably seek out a dedicated collectors site to see what the true value of your kit is.

I personally have nothing whatsoever against collectors -- hell I collect cars so I can't talk -- but it is a completely different hobby. Collector prices  are driven by scarcity and condition; sounds like you've got the condition thing nailed, you need an expert nutball to tell you whether your particular kit is particularly scarce or otherwise desirable (first edition, etc.)

Offline Nanks

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 07:36:00 AM »
Bo I hadnt thought of that, good point, thankyou everybody for your input ill do some more homework.
"Get a shot off fast, this upsets him long enough to get your second shot perfect" Lazarus Long