Author Topic: Tips for model shops in New York  (Read 777 times)

Offline IvotB

Tips for model shops in New York
« on: December 19, 2013, 09:16:05 AM »
Between Christmas and New Year (just a weekend) I will be in New York, because my nephew is getting married there on sunday. I'll have about 2 days in New York City and I might do some shopping.

Any advice on interesting stores there? Last time I found an interesting Model Railroad cellar near Times Square, although I didn't find anything. Now I will be in an apartment in Hudson Square and the owner allows me to use his bicycle :)

regards,
Ivo

firechief

Re: Tips for model shops in New York
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 10:16:46 AM »
Sorry to say, but you'll not find any hobby shops of note in NYC....there is a place called Jans, I believe on the upper east side (you'll be able to look them up in the phone book)but that's about it. With the limited time you have, try to get to the Intrepid Air & Space museum. The Museum of Natural History is another amazing way to spend a couple of days.
Enjoy your time in NY, it's a fabulous place.
Regards,
Firechief, former NYC resident.

Offline IvotB

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 08:50:10 AM »
I wasn't expecting much, but you never know.
Jan's gives a google streetview of the interior of this model shop. I might pick up a guillows kit of the Wright Flyer. There's a stack of Guillows kits, no Wright Flyer in the picture, but then how real time will this streetview be?
I might also try the first museum. I already visited the Museum of Natural History some time ago.

regards,
Ivo

Offline Hannover

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 06:20:25 PM »
Jans is the better store, or was last time I was there. A bigger stock with more ranges. Let us know if he's finished the 1/200th USS Arizona he was building in the store.

Be careful of the the old lady taking your money if she's there, she takes no prisoners!! If you're lucky she may give you a carrier bag for your purchases.

Peter

Offline IvotB

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 08:26:10 AM »
I went to Jans today. It's a nice store where you might find one or two hidden treasures, that you can't find anywhere else. I didný find or buy anything. I didn't see the Arizona, but a beautiful aircraft carrier with a long line of B25's

And the old lady was there too.

Thanks for the tip.

regards,
Ivo

Offline Hannover

« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 08:02:01 PM »
I went to Jans today. It's a nice store where you might find one or two hidden treasures, that you can't find anywhere else. I didný find or buy anything. I didn't see the Arizona, but a beautiful aircraft carrier with a long line of B25's

And the old lady was there too.

Thanks for the tip.

regards,
Ivo

Thanks for the update Ivo. Hope you had a good time in NY.

Good to know the old lady is till with us, not many characters like her are around these days! I assume the Arizona is finished then, wonder where it went as it was a great looking build. Would have like to have seen the Hornet (I assume thats what the Aircraft carrier was), Jan likes his ships.

Peter